PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time ONR User, I`m converted!, have a few questions

Wknd Dtlr
04-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Just tried ONR last night. Wow! Worked just like everyone said.

I`ve been studying up on ONR, including the "Definitive Thread" but have two questions:

1. It appears many use the 2 bucket system, but assuming the car is not too dirty it seems some well respected forum members successfully use a one bucket system?

2. I had difficulty with the built up tire dressing gel. I would prefer not to use an APC or strong tire cleaner as it will remove the LSP from the rims. Should I switch to a different tire dressing that can be removed by ONR?

Thanks.

craigdt
04-13-2009, 07:25 PM
1. Yes. I do this from time to time myself and have found it to be fine.

2. I cant really speak to this. What tire dressing are you currently using?

dublifecrisis
04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
9 times out of 10, I use 2 buckets even when my car is only a tad bit dirty. Yes, sometimes the rinse bucket ends up looking completely clean at the end of the wash but it`s just a habit to use it. Once the system is embedded in your brain, it just seems natural....LOL

The only times I recently recall using 1 bucket was for a specialty project like headlight correction when I needed to be able to wash the front end and hood and to test a new pad or polish on a panel.

I`m not a pro, just a detail nut with a coupe side gigs.

zaxjax
04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I use the two bucket method because of habit and it`s not a bad idea to minimize swirls.

You may need to switch to a bristle brush to take car of the tire shine. Finsing a good tire shine that you like is hard, so stick with it if needed.

Wknd Dtlr
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
2. I cant really speak to this. What tire dressing are you currently using?

I`m finishing up some TW Ultra Tire shine gel I`ve had. It was next to the AA product and much cheaper and since I had never used a gel before I wanted to see how it worked. That`s what I get for going budget on this. Since I bought a pc and pro products a few weeks ago I am upgrading all the stuff I have and I will be doing the same with tire dressing once I narrow it down to the 30 most favorite tire dressings I have been reading about on this forum!

You may need to switch to a bristle brush to take car of the tire shine.

I`ll give that a try. I used a terry cloth like I read on Scottwax`s post and it seemed to work fairly well. However, I think it was the texture of the towel removing it and not the ONR.

SuperBee364
04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Try mixing up a 32 oz spray bottle with QD strength ONR, then spray it directly on the tire gel. Soak an MF in your ONR bucket, and give it a good wipe. QD strength ONR has a lot more cleaning power than I woulda thought.

Dsoto87
04-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Never tried it like that superbee. I usually use Amazing Roll Off on my tires. ONR at wash strength slightly lightens my water based tire dressing. I never expected onr to fully strip it since its not even strong enough to remove any lsp. If I dont use ARO, I wipe it down with an mf soaked in onr wash solution. Tires arent stripped but they are clean.

Its not hard to spray the tire down without it getting on the rim. Just use the spray setting and not the mist setting on the spray bottle. Agitate it with a brush and wipe it down with an mf soaked in onr. Than one final qipe down with a dry mf.

Wknd Dtlr
04-13-2009, 08:18 PM
SuperBee - I`ll give the ONR at QD strength a try. I`ll post back with the results (probably next weekend)

Dsoto87 - I`ve been reading about ARO. If the ONR at QD strength doesn`t work then I`ll give it a shot as people seem to get great results. Just what I need--- you can never order just one product at AG so I`m sure I`ll end up with even more products that the big boys use!

Scottwax
04-13-2009, 09:04 PM
1. I always use the one bucket method. If the car is really dirty, I just change out the water/ONR as needed.

2. Optimum Power Clean is a low sudsing APC that works well with ONR and you can rinse with a pesticide sprayer filled with water if you want.

SuperBee364
04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Never tried it like that superbee. I usually use Amazing Roll Off on my tires. ONR at wash strength slightly lightens my water based tire dressing. I never expected onr to fully strip it since its not even strong enough to remove any lsp. If I dont use ARO, I wipe it down with an mf soaked in onr wash solution. Tires arent stripped but they are clean.

Its not hard to spray the tire down without it getting on the rim. Just use the spray setting and not the mist setting on the spray bottle. Agitate it with a brush and wipe it down with an mf soaked in onr. Than one final qipe down with a dry mf.

Yeah, I saw ARO in action the first time a few weeks ago. Really good stuff.

Eisen Hulk
04-14-2009, 05:09 AM
I`m a big fan of ARO. It works great on tires that are covered in general road grime.

I don`t think it`s all that when it comes to removing old dressing that has been slathered on the tire. Just my dos pesos.

Yeah, I saw ARO in action the first time a few weeks ago. Really good stuff.