PDA

View Full Version : Critique my products(noob here)

Pages : [1] 2

ohiostate
04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
First wanted to say I LOVE THIS SITE, have been lurking around for couple months and trying new products on my car (2007 Altima), and wanted some feedback on other products I could use to keep my baby clean...

Now Im not as hardcore as some of you, however, I do love a clean car, and I want to take it to another level.... However, I will be only detailing my car and the g/f`s for now, so the products I would like to use would be something off the shelf (sort of a budget detail here)

Ok here is what I work with:

NXT car wash

Wool wash mit

2 buckets, one for rinse, other for wash

Purple Power on tires, wheel wells.

Brush for tires

Brush for rims/hubcaps

Microfiber towels

Windex Auto for windows, interior plastic, and door jams

Black magic gel for tires

Turtle Bug off (if needed)

Just purchased Mothers Clay Bar Kit

Just purchased NXT Wax

So what products would you suggust, and try to remember that these products would need to be somewhat inexpensive...

Also I will be waxing the Altima this year, I looking into purchasing an orbital buffer, good idea, or just hand wax it... I would like something to speed up the process... I really can`t afford/dont want to purchase a PC...

What else should I do be sides wax it? You clay the car before you wax it correct?? Do I need to apply anything else??... The paint is in pretty good shape..

There is just so many products out there and just looking for some personal advice..

Thanks a lot guys :wavey

CumminsCrazed
04-13-2009, 06:30 PM
First wanted to say I LOVE THIS SITE, have been lurking around for couple months and trying new products on my car (2007 Altima), and wanted some feedback on other products I could use to keep my baby clean...

Now Im not as hardcore as some of you, however, I do love a clean car, and I want to take it to another level.... However, I will be only detailing my car and the g/f`s for now, so the products I would like to use would be something off the shelf (sort of a budget detail here)

NXT car wash

Wool wash mit

Brush for tires

Brush for rims/hubcaps

Microfiber towels

Windex Auto for windows, interior plastic, and door jams

Turtle Bug off (if needed)

Just purchased NXT Wax

So what products would you suggust, and try to remember that these products would need to be somewhat inexpensive...

Also I will be waxing the Altima this year, I looking into purchasing an orbital buffer, good idea, or just hand wax it... I would like something to speed up the process... I really can`t afford/dont want to purchase a PC...

What else should I do be sides wax it? You clay the car before you wax it correct?? Do I need to apply anything else??... The paint is in pretty good shape..

There is just so many products out there and just looking for some personal advice..

Thanks a lot guys :wavey

NXT car wash

Wool wash mit

Brush for tires

Brush for rims/hubcaps

Microfiber towels

Windex Auto for windows, interior plastic, and door jams - Id scratch the Windex in place of Stoners Invisible Glass

Turtle Bug off (if needed) - Never heard of it?

Just purchased NXT Wax

those are the main things i noticed....

craigdt
04-13-2009, 07:06 PM
NXT car wash Good

Wool wash mit Fine

2 buckets, one for rinse, other for wash Good

Purple Power on tires, wheel wells. Good

Brush for tires Fine

Brush for rims/hubcaps Fine

Microfiber towels Good

Windex Auto for windows, interior plastic, and door jams You are going to use Windex on the interior plastic? Id ditch the Windex, pick up some Stoners Invisible Glass, and Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer. They are both OTC and cheap

Black magic gel for tires Havent heard too many good things about this. Id go for the Armor All Extreme Tire Gel. Cheap and OTC

Turtle Bug off (if needed) Not familiar with. But Id use the Purple Power over this

Just purchased Mothers Clay Bar Kit Good

Just purchased NXT Wax Good

Looks like you are off to a pretty good start there.

Good luck

corrswitch
04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Looks good. Kinda similar to my stash :)

What products are you using for the interior?

Like a protectant like 303, something for leather if needed.

Carpet cleaner like 303.

Or you were focused on just the exterior?

Then for the exterior, foam applicator for wax

Hope that helps.

zaxjax
04-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Here`s my advice - Read, read and read

After reading, make a list of what might interest you and try it. If you like the results, keep it or buy something else. Detailing is a lot of trial and error since you are on a budget and doing it by hand.

ohiostate
04-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, exactly what I was looking for..

I will be looking into these products:

Stoners Invisible Glass-Have seen it at the stores

Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer

About the black majic, I have just a little left then was planning on tryin the Armor All Extreme Tire Gel anyway, thanks for the reminder:bigups

ohiostate
04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Looks good. Kinda similar to my stash :)

What products are you using for the interior?

Or you were focused on just the exterior?

Then for the exterior, foam applicator for wax

Hope that helps.

The interior is cloth, but for the moment just use carpet cleaner for the mats, but will be looking into something better...

FordFan2009
04-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Looks pretty good. I too used NXT 2 until I found duragloss. DG is availible at carquest and some napa`s and it`s top notch for protection and glossy wetness. Looks way better the nxt in my opinion. If you are looking for professional results with a budget DG won`t dissapoint.

Accumulator
04-15-2009, 09:49 AM
ohiostate- I`d hold off on buying a polisher until you have the money for a PC, IMO anything less (and I consider the PC somewhat marginal) would simply be a waste of money in the long run. Maybe you can find a used PC really cheap, keep your eyes open and well, who knows.

The one missing thing I think you oughta consider is some kind of prep product to use between the claybar and the NXT. No, you don`t need to get all involved with polishing, but even just a cleaner-wax step thrown in there might make a nice difference.

For an OTC/cheap solution, maybe Meguiar`s Color-X would be worth a try. The Mother`s claybar kit used to come with a little bottle of their cleaner-wax, and that might do the trick too (note it doesn`t take much product so the little bottle oughta be sufficient for one car if you`re a little careful).

Don`t use Windex/etc. on your doorjambs, treat them like the rest of your paint. If they`re *really* grungy we can suggest safe means of doing the initial clean-up, but generally the cleaner-wax/NXT combo will get/keep them nice.

Some mild Woolite/water mix can work great for cleaning interiors (or your carpet cleaner, stuff like Resolve, can work OK too) and the Meg`s Interior QD really is nice stuff for the vinyl/etc. surfaces. These days (IMO/IME) you don`t need to worry too much about "protecting" the interior...just keep it clean.

Be sure to get *good* MF towels, ones that won`t scratch your paint.

Along those lines, you`ll need (and I do mean *really need* ;) ) some marring-free means of drying the cars. Waffle-weave microfibers (WWMF) are my #1 choice, but it takes a few to dry completely. If money`s tight you could buy an Absorber/synthetic chamois and blot (not wipe) with that first to get most of the water up (it won`t get it all, but you can wring it out and it`ll keep on getting that first 80% off), then use the WWMF to finish up; that way you could do both vehicles with the fewest WWMFs possible.

ohiostate
04-15-2009, 06:40 PM
ohiostate- I`d hold off on buying a polisher until you have the money for a PC, IMO anything less (and I consider the PC somewhat marginal) would simply be a waste of money in the long run. Maybe you can find a used PC really cheap, keep your eyes open and well, who knows.

The one missing thing I think you oughta consider is some kind of prep product to use between the claybar and the NXT. No, you don`t need to get all involved with polishing, but even just a cleaner-wax step thrown in there might make a nice difference.

For an OTC/cheap solution, maybe Meguiar`s Color-X would be worth a try. The Mother`s claybar kit used to come with a little bottle of their cleaner-wax, and that might do the trick too (note it doesn`t take much product so the little bottle oughta be sufficient for one car if you`re a little careful).

Don`t use Windex/etc. on your doorjambs, treat them like the rest of your paint. If they`re *really* grungy we can suggest safe means of doing the initial clean-up, but generally the cleaner-wax/NXT combo will get/keep them nice.

Some mild Woolite/water mix can work great for cleaning interiors (or your carpet cleaner, stuff like Resolve, can work OK too) and the Meg`s Interior QD really is nice stuff for the vinyl/etc. surfaces. These days (IMO/IME) you don`t need to worry too much about "protecting" the interior...just keep it clean.

Be sure to get *good* MF towels, ones that won`t scratch your paint.

Along those lines, you`ll need (and I do mean *really need* ;) ) some marring-free means of drying the cars. Waffle-weave microfibers (WWMF) are my #1 choice, but it takes a few to dry completely. If money`s tight you could buy an Absorber/synthetic chamois and blot (not wipe) with that first to get most of the water up (it won`t get it all, but you can wring it out and it`ll keep on getting that first 80% off), then use the WWMF to finish up; that way you could do both vehicles with the fewest WWMFs possible.

Accumulator- thanks for the feedback..:xyxthumbs

I just don’t want to buy a PC and go crazy and burn through my paint, but I’m sure I could just set it on low, always keep it moving, and lubricated with wax on the pad... Will just look for video`s and how to`s and I’m sure I will be fine

I will look into the Meguiar`s Color-X.

I was out doing a little shopping and picked up the Invisible Glass, and another MF towel (probably will need more)

Still need to purchase the Meg`s Interior QD, and Armor All Extreme Tire Gel

oh and no more Windex on the door jams, will hand clean those now:D

byers ford
04-15-2009, 06:53 PM
IIRC the PC is dual action, meaning it orbits AND rotates; so burning the paint is not as common as say with just a normal rotary.

You can never have too many MF`s.

craigdt
04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Accumulator- thanks for the feedback..:xyxthumbs

I just don’t want to buy a PC and go crazy and burn through my paint, but I’m sure I could just set it on low, always keep it moving, and lubricated with wax on the pad... Will just look for video`s and how to`s and I’m sure I will be fine

Hey man, if I can do it, you can do it. Ive ground away with a pretty aggressive combo and I didnt burn the paint. Just do a bit of research and go at it.

However, thats not to say that you CANT, but that if you use common sense, you probably wont. The chances of it happening with a DA are far less than with a rotary.

Always remember to do a test spot first however. Those DA`s have a worse bark than bite.

Accumulator
04-16-2009, 10:42 AM
ohiostate- There are a lot of different levels of "detailing" you can do, and I`m confident that you`ll have your Altima looking better no matter which way you go.

If the cost of the PC isn`t a problem, then don`t worry about messing up your paint...as long as you go about things in a well-considered manner you`ll do fine (in fact, you`ll probably be asking "how do I make this thing more aggressive" before you know it ;) ).

If the budget doesn`t allow for such things right now, there are all sorts of products that work well (if slowly and with lots of elbow-grease) by hand.

See how the wash/clay/cleaner-wax/NXT approach works. You can always get more involved later if/when you decide it`s necessary. I know people who are quite happy with that approach, and they often have the best looking cars in the parking lot without doing any of the serious stuff we like to talk about here at Autopia.

ohiostate
04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Hahahah Thx Accumulaor for the postive feedback, I will be look into a cleaner wax, and just do everything by hand for now!!

I think Im going to invest in a Little Green before the PC!!

Accumulator
04-17-2009, 11:37 AM
..I think Im going to invest in a Little Green before the PC!!

I wouldn`t argue with that...I use the extractors (incl. around the house) all the time while the polishers sit in their boxes for months on end.