PDA

View Full Version : Detailing ergonomics

Pages : [1] 2

corrswitch
04-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Hi All,

Firstly, I have so much respect to all of you that can spend hours and hours working on a car and straining your body to have a car achieve perfection.

I`m just a weekend warrior and I only spend a few hours and I have aches and pains the next day.

After hand polishing, one arm is bigger than the other, the joints on my fingers are hurting and of course, the back pain.

All worth it of course after seeing the results on the car :)

Besides using stools, and pads, and a beer, are there any other exercises, stretches, tips or general ergonomic advice for detailing?

Could you please share how you preserve your back, knees, and muscles?

Thanks so much.

imported_weekendwarrior
04-13-2009, 06:16 PM
I had a herneated disc a while back. I now stretch daily...right before a detail especially. I have a set of about 12 stretches that take about 15 minutes total. Additionally, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I do core excercises to strenghten the muscles around my spine. On Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday I exercise my legs and ankles.

I now wear a back support belt when detailing, and utilize a creeper. I try to alternate doing one panel where I am sitting (door), then one where I stand (half the hood). I use to do all the standing panels first, then would move to the creeper to do the sides. I have found by alternating, it keeps the musles from being in 1 position for too long. Additionally, I try to concentrate more on bending and lifting with my legs, and not contorting my body any more than I absolutely have too.

Migue
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
yup a good stretch is always good before a long day of bending/crouching and moving around

Relaited
04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
In Water $mart Eco Detailing, everything is by hand. We look at labor fatigue issues every day. One of our big initiatives is to reduce fatigue.

Working smarter not harder, really focusing on minimizing moves. Thinking before doing. Developing a plan. Working effectively and efficiently in teams of 2. Reducing the number of times you have to bend by developing a reliable repeatable process that considers fatigue.

I`d be more specific, but we are in the midst of reviewing our process.

Definitively an issue with rims ... but the new guy gets those.

-jim

craigdt
04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
One of our big initiatives is to reduce fatigue.

Are machine polishers, etc, considered environmentally unfriendly?

Typically, Ill stretch a bit, use a creeper, take frequent water/beverage breaks. Im younger than a lot here so that helps too.

Accumulator
04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
This might sound like a :nana: response but I really don`t mean it like that. And if you have a serious medical condition (like weekendwarrior`s herniated disk- don`t wait for something like that before you do warmups/stretches!), that`s another matter entirely. But generally, just:

Get in shape and stay that way. Treat the whole thing like a long-duration, low-intensity workout.

Work smart and don`t force your body into unnatural positions/postures. Sit when you can instead of bending. Use cushioning to protect your knees from hard floor surfaces. Let machines do the work for you when possible and alternate which hand/arm you`re using. Don`t grip machines tighter than necessary (which usually isn`t very tight at all). Stay hydrated and pre-hydrate if you`re gonna be working in hot conditions. Stretch *after* the job, not just before (after-stress stretching is, IMO, much more important).

I`d go so far as to say you might oughta practice motions that give you trouble. If getting down/up when doing lower areas is a pain, then incorporate those movements into your workouts until they become easy and natural. Same ol` same ol`...train for what you do.

02zx9r
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
[quote name=`corrswitch`]

Firstly, I have so much respect to all of you that can spend hours and hours working on a car and straining your body to have a car achieve perfection.

QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I did my g/f`s moms avalon Saturday, took about 6 hours just for the exterior (going to do the interior thursday night (((really really bad))) and I worked my part time job that night. Man I was so drained and tired from that 6 hours using mostly my PC. I guess if you do it all the time you get used to it. I got a good nights sleeo that night that is for sure. Then did a cobalt the next morning but only took 4 hours for exterior/interior as the car was in great shape to begin with.

Mad props for all the "pros" out there that make a living doing this. I have no intention of doing it full time, dont think i could

imported_Ivan Rajic
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
I think it`s like everything else... either you`re in good physical shape from sports, exercise, etc and detailing won`t take too big a toll on your body, or you`re regularly detailing and your body gets used to it... but you can`t just simply get up once a month and detail the car for 2-4 hours not expecting any pains the next day.

SuperBee364
04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I had a herneated disc a while back. I now stretch daily...right before a detail especially. I have a set of about 12 stretches that take about 15 minutes total. Additionally, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I do core excercises to strenghten the muscles around my spine. On Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday I exercise my legs and ankles.

I now wear a back support belt when detailing, and utilize a creeper. I try to alternate doing one panel where I am sitting (door), then one where I stand (half the hood). I use to do all the standing panels first, then would move to the creeper to do the sides. I have found by alternating, it keeps the musles from being in 1 position for too long. Additionally, I try to concentrate more on bending and lifting with my legs, and not contorting my body any more than I absolutely have too.

Man, that`s a great idea. I`m gonna go to Target today and get one of those. I have a degenerated disc.. the second to bottom one... don`t remember the number off the top of my head, but it really sings when I`m detailing.

imported_Jakerooni
04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
2 alieve works all day LOL. But streching and bending properly instead of hunching over or staying in awkward positions for extended amounts of time make a huge improvement to lasting longer

Relaited
04-14-2009, 02:00 PM
My chiropractor said that the back brace is not of much use in the tasks we perform. stretching as most important, but also strengthening.

You will think I am preaching again, but if you knew me, you would say wow, never saw this (or the Eco) coming ... I am a big believer in nutrition.

Once I got my body in balance, got rid of the toxins, focused on organics and away from processed foods, and mostly, at least for my blood type, increased the protein content, man I felt better. I do supplement with vitamins, and protein shakes & bars are a good meal replacement

Once my body was in balance, it was able to better heal itself, and my joint hurt less, had more natural energy and avoided the sugar and caffeine spikes and challenges to my adrenal glands.

I would not share it if it did not change my health.

-jim

ps I do believe machines are acceptable and encourage in Water $mart Eco Detailing. In fact, there are efforts underway to shrink the size and energy requirements, yet maintain efficacy ... not only that, they will work as well as their "big: brothers. they sure help reduce labor fatigue

Relaited
04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Another good idea is a Team of 2. Many hands make light work, one pushes the other, and can rotate tasks to minimize fatigue.

-jim

RaskyR1
04-14-2009, 02:03 PM

I need to start doing this. :nervous:

reparebrise
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Being partially handicapped(so the health system says, and its also physical, not just mental) ergonomics of detailing are very important to me. In the shop the cars are on a lift putting them at the right height for the job, out in the field we use Racatac`s. The Racatac is a small investment(under$200) but worth every penny both for interiors and exteriors.

As far as machines go we use anti vibration gloves, use the right machine for the job(we use rotarys for correction, they are faster), we chose lightweight tools(yes they may come from china, and they may not last as long, or have a high peer acceptance, but the cheap rotary`s are also much lighter).

Another important thing is having proper lighting, not too much(full sun) and no too little(dim garage).

imported_RZJZA80
04-14-2009, 08:15 PM
hit the gym, and don`t eat a big meal right before a detail.