PDA

View Full Version : Need new pads, whats the new hotness?

-Longhorn-
04-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I usually use LC CCM or whatever they are called pads. Anything else newer and better out there?

trig
04-13-2009, 11:13 AM
LG flat pads, Uber flats. What machine?

AeroCleanse
04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
LC Kompressors

Envious Eric
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
stick with flat pads...

Exceldetail welcomes you! (http://www.exceldetail.com)

Detailers Domain (http://www.detailersdomain.com)

the CCS pads suck IMO - any pad that holds product in the pad and allows you to "apply" more product "while" buffing doesnt make sense to me. If you "accidentally" apply more pressure, you have to "re-break down" the newly applied polish...

eyezack87
04-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Theres always the option of 3M UK pads from Polished Bliss if you want to get those :)

-Longhorn-
04-13-2009, 04:40 PM
I have a Hitachi and Makita rotary, 2 UDMS and a PC.

jet_m3
04-15-2009, 02:28 PM
What are the best pads to use with a makita guys? Rydawg mentioned flat pads who has some nice ones? According to LC they have all these gimmicky pads, which do I need to the best results with menz stuff? Thanks.

SuperBee364
04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
There`s so many good pads to chose from out there. For medium to heavy correction, I still love LC`s Purple Foamed Wool, but a lot of guys are saying that the Micro Surface Black Wool is better than PFW. For foam, there`s the new LC Kompressor line, the new Megs Soft Buff 2.0`s, and my personal favorite (still) Edge 2000 wave foam pads.

The KB method does appear to be kinda hard on pads. However, the Megs Soft Buff 2.0`s seem to be up to the challenge. It`s a really nice pad. I only have the black finishing pad, but it performs *very* well. The pad is stiff enough to put up with good pressure, yet the surface texture is so soft. Definitely zero bite.

Since I`m still kinda heavily invested in the Edge 2000 series of pads, I`m going to stick with them as long as I can, it`s just that the future of that series of pads is unknown since they just got sold to 3M. Some detailing e-tailers have already stopped stocking them, so it`s hard to get excited about recommending them to someone when it`s uncertain whether or not they`ll be around for much longer. But I sure do like my 6" Edge wave foam pads. They are a pretty decent bargain, too, as they are double sided.

imported_Jakerooni
04-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Yea I really love my edge pads as well. I hope they stick around. easiest pads out there to use bar none.

This is yet another topic where we`ve seemed to go full circle. a year or so ago the CCS pads were all the rage and everyone and their detailing brother couldn`t by enough of them. Flat pads have been around since the beginning.. In fact they were the beginning for foam. I have a rather large stock of wool and foam and I have uses for every different type of pad out there. No two surfaces are the same so having options is always good. But for the record I rarely use my CCS pads. I bought a few to see what the rage was all about last year. I used them here and there but they definatly are not my "goto" pad. I usually stick with a finish twist wool for cutting (yea yea yea I know but it`s my process) and then either a white, yellow or black foam pad pending on finishing needs.

jet_m3
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys, are the edge pads flat and is that the recommended style for rotaries? Where to kop?

I take it 3m is bad, are their polishing pads any good? I just got the 6" ultrafina pad but haven`t started practicing with my machine yet so I`m wondering if their other pads are any good. Also got a couple euro 3m plates in, one yellow and one grey finessing so I`d like to start unleashing some rotary goodness on something soon.

SuperBee364
04-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Yea I really love my edge pads as well. I hope they stick around. easiest pads out there to use bar none.

This is yet another topic where we`ve seemed to go full circle. a year or so ago the CCS pads were all the rage and everyone and their detailing brother couldn`t by enough of them. Flat pads have been around since the beginning.. In fact they were the beginning for foam. I have a rather large stock of wool and foam and I have uses for every different type of pad out there. No two surfaces are the same so having options is always good. But for the record I rarely use my CCS pads. I bought a few to see what the rage was all about last year. I used them here and there but they definatly are not my "goto" pad. I usually stick with a finish twist wool for cutting (yea yea yea I know but it`s my process) and then either a white, yellow or black foam pad pending on finishing needs.

Yup, I sure bought a bunch of em.

Thanks guys, are the edge pads flat and is that the recommended style for rotaries? Where to kop?

I take it 3m is bad, are their polishing pads any good? I just got the 6" ultrafina pad but haven`t started practicing with my machine yet so I`m wondering if their other pads are any good. Also got a couple euro 3m plates in, one yellow and one grey finessing so I`d like to start unleashing some rotary goodness on something soon.

Whoops... didn`t mean to sound so negative about 3M. Actually, they make some *really* good stuff. Ultrafina (part number 06068. The name can very, so buy it by the part number) is one of the best light polishes out there. A lot of guys really like their Extra Cut compound, too.

They have a wide variety of pads, too. The pad they make as a companion to Ultrafina is *very* nice. I`ve compared it directly to Edge`s red foam and cannot tell a bit of difference.

The concern about 3M buying Edge`s pads is that they may have bought them just so they could stop making them, if that makes sense. They have a huge number of different pads now: thier own 3M stuff, Meguiars, and now Edge. This has some people speculating that *something* is gonna get dropped from their pad offerings.

Autogeek still has a good supply of Edge pads, but my favorite place to buy them, autodetailingsolutions, has very little left to chose from.

blk45
04-16-2009, 09:21 AM
What are the best pads to use with a makita guys? Rydawg mentioned flat pads who has some nice ones? According to LC they have all these gimmicky pads, which do I need to the best results with menz stuff? Thanks.

Proper Auto Care has all of the 6.5" flat LC pads again. As mentioned, the new Kompressor pads are very good, but they are only available in one size right now.

DM101
04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I really like the Kompressor pads. Put them on my Flex and watch out.

jet_m3
04-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Whoops... didn`t mean to sound so negative about 3M. Actually, they make some *really* good stuff. Ultrafina (part number 06068. The name can very, so buy it by the part number) is one of the best light polishes out there. A lot of guys really like their Extra Cut compound, too.

They have a wide variety of pads, too. The pad they make as a companion to Ultrafina is *very* nice. I`ve compared it directly to Edge`s red foam and cannot tell a bit of difference.

The concern about 3M buying Edge`s pads is that they may have bought them just so they could stop making them, if that makes sense. They have a huge number of different pads now: thier own 3M stuff, Meguiars, and now Edge. This has some people speculating that *something* is gonna get dropped from their pad offerings.

Autogeek still has a good supply of Edge pads, but my favorite place to buy them, autodetailingsolutions, has very little left to chose from.

Superbee always so helpful man good stuffs. So the question remains, always (relatively) flat pads for the rotary right? No VC concave ones or anything since you are to keep the pad flat at all times?

Proper Auto Care has all of the 6.5" flat LC pads again. As mentioned, the new Kompressor pads are very good, but they are only available in one size right now.

I just saw that, blue is the softest also correct?