PDA

View Full Version : Truck was detailed...NOT SATISFIED!

Basshog
04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I had my truck detailed last fall before winter hit and when I took it out of storage this spring, there were quite a few swirl marks on most of the vehicle. I never washed it after because it sat inside a storage unit all winter and I see no reason why the swirl marks would have formed so I believe they were there after the detail ((I picked it up and stored it the same day, which was overcast)).

I went back to the detailer today and explained the situation and he told me that the swirls are in the paint and cannot be fixed. I suggested that he should try buffing them out but he said that it wouldn`t help. Not sure to believe him or not, what do you guys think? I am not expert at auto-detailing but i`m also not the idiot using a brush at the do-it-yourself car wash but I think I am getting the ring-around. :hmph:

imported_Jakerooni
04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
you`re detailer is not very skilled. Trying not to sound harsher but I think he should probably find another profession if that`s his actual belife`s on paint correction.

Sad thing is that he`s probably not intentionally running you around with this story he probably honestly thinks it`s a correct statement.

imported_rydawg
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I had my truck detailed last fall before winter hit and when I took it out of storage this spring, there were quite a few swirl marks on most of the vehicle. I never washed it after because it sat inside a storage unit all winter and I see no reason why the swirl marks would have formed so I believe they were there after the detail ((I picked it up and stored it the same day, which was overcast)).

I went back to the detailer today and explained the situation and he told me that the swirls are in the paint and cannot be fixed. I suggested that he should try buffing them out but he said that it wouldn`t help. Not sure to believe him or not, what do you guys think? I am not expert at auto-detailing but i`m also not the idiot using a brush at the do-it-yourself car wash but I think I am getting the ring-around. :hmph:

Did you pay a lot?

Less
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
In the interest of full disclosure;

Exactly what services did you request from the detailer? Do you know what products and processes he used?

Approximately how long did he have the car, and how much did you pay?

Are you absolutely sure that the car wasn`t touched all winter? is it possible that someone walked past it, brushed up against it, etc? did you use a car cover?

If I were him, I wouldn`t be too excited to re-polish an entire vehicle for free because someone was dissatisfied with services I provided six months ago.

If you REALLY think you were wronged, then file a complaint with your local chamber of commerce and/or better business bureau.

If you can find another detailer who CAN buff out the marks, that will really help your case. Make sure you take some good 50/50 pictures though. But even then, with the 6-month lapse since the detail, you`re probably not going to get a resolution that you are happy with.

Basshog
04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
It`s a storage unit I rent that is under lock and key so nobody can enter besides me but no car cover was used.

I paid 300 and it took about 8 hours. The process was wash, polish, buff and wax, I believe. Not sure what products were used.

I`m not so much interested in getting my money back as wondering if it`s possible to fix. I`ve seen pictures on this website of vehicle in much worse shape that looked great after. BTW it`s a black Dodge Ram.

Less
04-13-2009, 11:55 AM
It`s probably possible to fix. Based on what you`ve said so far, there are swirl marks that were either masked by the detailer using filler-heavy products, or they are so faint that they were not visible on the overcast day.

either way, it doesn`t sound like the scratches are in the paint. It`s probably fixable, but pictures would be a real help.

salty
04-13-2009, 12:02 PM
The products he was using probably had fillers in them and it looked good that day, but over the winter the fillers disappeared and the true paint was revealed.

If the swirls aren`t too bad them should remove quite easy.

Sorry to hear that you are not happy after spending $300, but i think this is quite common with the inexperienced detailer.

For the $300 you could the products to do it right yourself and become an Autopian.

Thats Fresh
04-13-2009, 12:04 PM
post some pictures.

he might have gotten 90-95% which is good. but what you make be looking at are some RIDS or deeper scratches that might have needed more attention than polishing, even wet sanding.

fergnation
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Did somebody say BLACK!!:furious:

I am pretty sure they can be removed. But honestly and don`t take this personally, a truck that size that is (black:furious:) it would have been tough to get all swirls out for 300 bucks and 8 hours. A 2door mini (maybe) but a truck that size (probably not).

Search the word Black, and this should give you a good idea.:cooleek: