PDA

View Full Version : Easter Sunday Detail: Critique My Process

Nopstnz8
04-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Ok guys I am in the process of doing a full detail for the spring today and was wondering what you guys think of my process? I am reallly looking forward to removing all these swirls by hand. I have already washed with ONR, clayed with Meg`s kit via ONR clay lube, and rewashed via ONR. So here is the rest of my process which will all be done by hand and continued this afternoon:

1. Meg`s Ultimate Compound

2. IPA Wipedown to remove oils ( What dillution ratio to water should I use?)

3. Meg`s Swirl X

4. Klasse AIO (1, maybe 2 coats)

5. Klassee SG (1 coat, maybe another coat next week)

6. Meg`s UQW ( Possibly will try next week if it is even worth it)

BTW the car is sitting in my garage, so I won`t need to wipe it down in the morning.

LMK your suggestions if there is anything I should change for this process. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Lumadar
04-12-2009, 03:58 AM
There is really no reason for an IPA wipe down after UC. If you really want to check your work, do it after the SwirlX. If it looks good then, move on to wax.

Also, work a test spot start to finish with the paint correction (UC --> SwirlX --> AIO) and check that for satisfaction before you finish the whole car.

Nopstnz8
04-12-2009, 04:11 AM
There is really no reason for an IPA wipe down after UC. If you really want to check your work, do it after the SwirlX. If it looks good then, move on to wax.

Also, work a test spot start to finish with the paint correction (UC --> SwirlX --> AIO) and check that for satisfaction before you finish the whole car.

Thanks. So an IPA wipe down after UC isn`t necessary since it doesn`t produce many oils? I just don`t want fillers to appear and mask the swirls if they aren`t removed.

DM101
04-12-2009, 05:16 AM
I agree with Lumadar. You`ll have a nice shiney look of a rotary powerhouse. Don`t you think they should Turbo the RX8. 50 more horses it would be a rotary rocket for sure!! Post some pics if you can. ZOOM-ZOOM FOREVER

Nopstnz8
04-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I agree with Lumadar. You`ll have a nice shiney look of a rotary powerhouse. Don`t you think they should Turbo the RX8. 50 more horses it would be a rotary rocket for sure!! Post some pics if you can. ZOOM-ZOOM FOREVER

Yeah they definately should have added a turbo so the power would be as good as the amazing handling. So far I have spent probably 8 hours, 5-6 of them compoundig, the rest using Swirl X, and it is looking great. I haven`t fully removed the swirls, but they look a lot better. I will finish the Swirl X tonight and then hit the car with the Klasse twins. I will try and take some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for all your advice guys!

Bostonsfavson
04-13-2009, 11:01 AM
There is really no reason for an IPA wipe down after UC.

I`ll respectfully disagree here, with the caveat that I`ve only used UC on four or five occasions thus far. When I used it, I did an IPA wipe down because I was having troubling removing the product even with several MF towels and and some S&W. It appeared to be completely removed, but careful inspection with a halogen showed that something (I assume oils) was left behind, and IPA was the only thing that would remove them. On the pus side, it didn`t appear as though any filling was going on.

Less
04-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Can I ask why we are so averse to filling in a hand process?

Unless you have a bionic arm, you are probably not going to get all the defects out of your paint by hand. So why not just fill in whatever you can`t remove?

Do you want a car that is 80% corrected and looks 100%. Or do you want a car that is 80% corrected and only looks 80%