PDA

View Full Version : What does curing mean?

phamine
04-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I`m currently applying Menzerna FMJ sealant. I`ve been reading this forumsa I get mixed opinions on curing.

What does curing mean in detailing language? Apply sealant and let it sit 12-14 hours before buffing off or Apply Sealant, buff off when dry and wait 12-24 hours to cure before applying another coat?

Thanks

Jake

JohnKleven
04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
If you don`t let the sealant air cure, then the next coat you put on will basically act as a solvent in a sense, and actually soften the coat you just put down. Therefore you won`t be doing anything by putting a second coat down. If you let it cure, then you can layer coats.

John

imported_Bence
04-11-2009, 01:44 PM
The time before removal is called setting, and the established sealant layer then hardens, cures for a given time, gaining longevity, clarity, water management, etc, which determine the overall product performance.

After the solvents evaporate, and molecular crosslinking is completely done, the product has reached its fully cured state.

wannafbody
04-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Hazing and crosslinking are different things.

phamine
04-11-2009, 06:22 PM
If you don`t let the sealant air cure, then the next coat you put on will basically act as a solvent in a sense, and actually soften the coat you just put down. Therefore you won`t be doing anything by putting a second coat down. If you let it cure, then you can layer coats.

John

So curing means that you let the product air dry - got it.

So I applied the sealant and then removed the sealant maybe 15 minutes after I applied the sealant.

I just reapplied the sealant and will let it cure. So this only counts as one coat since I didn`t let the first coat cure - is this correct?

Bostonsfavson
04-11-2009, 06:46 PM

So I applied the sealant and then removed the sealant maybe 15 minutes after I applied the sealant.

I just reapplied the sealant and will let it cure. So this only counts as one coat since I didn`t let the first coat cure - is this correct?

The general rule of thumb with FMJ is to apply it to the entire vehicle, let it sit for about an hour, wipe off, apply it again 24 hours later, let it sit for an hour, and wipe off. Then, wait at least 24 hours before topping it with anything (say, a `nuba or something).

The set time before wiping it off is a big variable--one hour is just a good rule of thumb. FMJ sets pretty quickly, I`ve found. What was the temperature/humidity when you applied it the first time?

phamine
04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
The general rule of thumb with FMJ is to apply it to the entire vehicle, let it sit for about an hour, wipe off, apply it again 24 hours later, let it sit for an hour, and wipe off. Then, wait at least 24 hours before topping it with anything (say, a `nuba or something).

The set time before wiping it off is a big variable--one hour is just a good rule of thumb. FMJ sets pretty quickly, I`ve found. What was the temperature/humidity when you applied it the first time?

Ah. So there is a difference between setting and curing.

1. Applied FMJ

2. Removed sealant 15-30 mins after application to the entire car - So this is the amount of time the sealant set?

3. Applied a second coat of sealant ~12 hours after - So this the amount of time the sealant cured?

I applied the first coat around 50 degs and 15% humidity.

The second coat is currently setting for 8 hours or so - I guess I should go and remove and call the job done?

Hopefully what I did won`t put me back to square one.

wannafbody
04-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Air drying allows the product to set up so the haze can be wiped off. Curing has to do with the chemical process that occurs after the product has initially set up. That can take minutes or hours depending on the particular product.