PDA

View Full Version : Black MB 2008

idertkin
04-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello, all! This is my first post here :) I have to say that I am really impressed with the level of professionalism of users here, so I realize that I have a long road to learn :)

I just recently bought a 2008 MB C63 AMG black. Even though car is not that old ( purchase date is June of 2008) previous owner didn`t care much about paint. I can see a lot of swirls, micro scratches. So, I`ve got a random orbit Porter Cable and have ordered some product. I wonder, if I did a right thing. So,

Porter Cable

Lake Country CCS 6.5" Blue Finessing Pad

Lake Country CCS 6.5" White Polishing Pad

Lake Country CCS 6.5" Black Finishing Pad

Menzerna Super Finish Nano Polish PO106FA (32oz) Correctly if I am wrong, but this is the best and only recommended polish for a MB paint with ceramic clear?

Also, for leather interior I`ve got Wolfgang Leather Care Cleaner (16oz). Passenger seat a bit wrinkly. I read somewhere that hair dryer fan can do a trick to fix a wrinkled leather. Is that safe to try?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

SuperBee364
04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Congrats on that car!

The pads that you bought will work, but won`t provide the corrective ability of smaller pads.

Your polish choice is very good. PO106FF is a great light weight polish for use on Ceramiclear, but it is a *light weight* polish. It`s meant to remove very light swirl marks and paint defects. it isn`t going to do a lot in the way of paint correction, especially when used with a PC. For heavier defects, you might want to look at a more aggressive polish like Menzerna Super Intensive Polish or Meguairs M105. Try the PO106FF first, though, as it might be all you need.

Polishing/correcting hard clear coat (like that on your Mercedes) is not an easy task even with a rotary buffer. With a PC, it`s even more work. Just be aware that it is going to take multiple applications of polishes and a lot of time and effort to get the job done.

As for the leather, I`d take it to a reputable upholstery shop rather than try and fix it with a hair dryer. Too much potential to cause damage.

idertkin
04-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks! :thx

idertkin
04-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Sould I start with white pad and then blue I guess?

SuperBee364
04-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Sould I start with white pad and then blue I guess?

Yes, the white pad is what you want to use to start. I`d actually recommend an orange pad since you have very hard clear coat, but the white will work OK.

idertkin
04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Yes, the white pad is what you want to use to start. I`d actually recommend an orange pad since you have very hard clear coat, but the white will work OK.

Thanks! I also have a Blue Pad as well. Is it harder than a white one?

I did one pass with blue pad and PC and it looks much better now. However, I still can see some light scratches. I have borrowed FLEX from a friend and I am thinking to go over again with white pad and FLEX this time. Should I expect a better result?

TIA

SuperBee364
04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
The blue pad has zero bite to it. The white has a bit of bite, but not a lot. And yes, the Flex is much more powerful than a PC; it`ll do much more correction. You might find yourself not wanting to give it back to your friend... :)

idertkin
04-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Uh, oh.... "Sisyphean task" was a great success :) Just ordered Yellow and Orange pads. Thanks for your help again!