PDA

View Full Version : Product to clean WAX/COMPOUND off textured plastic trim?

Pages : [1] 2

SilveradoHD07
04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
So i just finished compounding, jetseal109ing, and waxing. I now have perfect paint, but the black textured plastic around my door handles and tailgate cap have white wax/compound on them. I tried soap and water and had little success. This stuff is really stuck on! Is there any product that removes this residue?

Thanks in advance!

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Is it the compound, or the JetSeal, or the wax? I guess it doesn`t really matter. You`re going to need a pretty strong alkaline cleaner and a toothbrush or similar brush. David North, who hitched his wagon to a different forum, recommended Eagle One A2Z (now known as All Wheel and Tire Cleaner). This will likely remove your wax as it runs down the vehicle, but it should work. Be careful with your brush so as not to mar the paint around the door handles.

PS Now you know why most of us tape off the trim before polishing, and why some of us gripe about waxes that stain trim.

Oh, and :welcome to Autopia!

stiffdogg06
04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I use Top Of The Line`s GR-40. I love it. Never done wrong.

trico
04-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Believe it or not try peanut oil. It works wonders.

termigator
04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Believe it or not try peanut oil. It works wonders.

I`ve heard that a lot. Black Again does the trick for me though.

wascallyrabbit
04-09-2009, 05:20 AM
peanut butter, black wow or a good apc and small brush (tooth brush) will work.

imported_weekendwarrior
04-09-2009, 05:31 AM
I just saturate a Magic Eraser in water, and rub it over the trim. It removes the polish/wax, but leaves a little white grit from the Magic Eraser behind. I then follow that with a damp microfiber to remove the Magic Eraser dust, and then dress with protectant.

I have a Honda Element (plastic city baby), so even when I tape it up, I still manage to get polish somewhere on the plastic.

titsataki
04-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Can we use Prep-all on a cloth to remove the wax?

Would it hurn the plastic bumper?

BobD
04-09-2009, 06:56 AM
The best thing that I found, and safest, has been peanut butter. My cousin bought an Element with heavily stained plastic trim. I smeared peanut butter all over the stains, we let it sit for a while, I hosed it off, and it was gone for good. However, peanut butter is a mess to work with. LOL

jaymz
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Black WOW is the best I`ve used; looks awesome, too.

Jim

Setec Astronomy
04-09-2009, 07:13 AM
The best thing that I found, and safest, has been peanut butter. My cousin bought an Element with heavily stained plastic trim. I smeared peanut butter all over the stains, we let it sit for a while, I hosed it off, and it was gone for good. However, peanut butter is a mess to work with. LOL

What brand do you recommend? :dance :chuckle:

imported_Gears
04-09-2009, 07:30 AM
What brand do you recommend? :dance :chuckle:

Use creamy... never crunchy it mars the the surface. :hmph:

BobD
04-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Jif, always Jif. LOL

SilveradoHD07
04-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys! looks like i`ll be picking up a jar of peanut butter.

romar
04-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Does peanut butter permanently remove stains? I`m thinking the peanut oil may only hide the stains until it evaporates. :think: