PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning inner wheel barrels

Pages : [1] 2

TLMitchell
04-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Posted here, there & everywhere....

What we have here are OEM coated, cast aluminum wheels from a 2004 GMC Sierra. They`ve seen 60k+ and 5 Ohio winters without ever getting a really thorough cleaning inside and out.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww304/tlmitchell99/Wheels/IMG_0455Medium.jpg

The outer wheels are in pretty decent shape with just a few defects in the coating where wheel weights have been attached. They clean up well and take a shine, they`re rarely left very cruddy for long periods. The inner barrels are a different story though.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww304/tlmitchell99/Wheels/IMG_0449Medium.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww304/tlmitchell99/Wheels/IMG_0459Medium.jpg

Believe me, the pics are AFTER cleaning attempts! They were pitch black before!

My primary goal is to clean these up as well as possible and apply sealant and do `em once a year every Spring. The visible portions through the holes in the front detract a bit from the overall appearance.

In attempting to clean the inner barrel I first tried a generous dose of P21S Gel and let it dwell for an hour. The I then scrubbed the surface crud with a wheel brush getting close to the results shown. Thinking I needed something considerably stouter I applied Purple Power APC full strength and let it dwell taking care that I didn`t get any of this nasty stuff on the front of the wheels. Not much improvement.

I then attempted a few other things in spots..... of everything I tried a Brillo pad produced the most favorable result with a TON of scrubbing. I also gave a PowerBall a whirl with Wenol red, Meg`s Mag & Aluminum Polish and other lesser products with the best results appearing near the openings where exterior cleaning may have kept them from getting as bad as the rest of the barrel. At this rate using the products and methods I`ve attempted thus far I might get some decent results if I kept at it for a week or so........ per wheel, probably! There`s gotta be a better way....

I`d appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions that might lead to some improvement. I don`t expect perfection after 5 years of neglect but I`d like to improve the appearance, at least what`s visible from the outside of the wheel.

Thanks in advance...... TL

OCKlasse
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Try #0000 steel wool.

BigJimZ28
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Try #0000 steel wool.

they have a Clear Coat

steel wool would kill that

Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener is your best bet

TLMitchell
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
they have a Clear Coat

steel wool would kill that

Coating appears to be only on the front.

Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener is your best bet

Izzat an acid-based product?

Thanks... TL

BigJimZ28
04-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks... TL

yes it is an acid

follow the directions and be smart about it and all will be OK

Less
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I started the exact same project on my G35 last week. So far I`ve done one wheel. The car is three years old, and this is my first time venturing onto the backside of my rims.

I did a very similar process. I started with Eagle One All Wheel Cleaner, let it dwell, and scrubbed the heck out of it. I used Mother`s Plastic Polish and a power ball on the front side of the wheels. Then added a coat of DP wheel glaze. I sealed the backside with Klasse SG.

Similar to the OP, I had lukewarm results. The wheels look ALOT better, but far far far from perfect.

The front`s came out OK

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o270/Ghaleon0721/P3310048.jpg

This is the best I could do with the back

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o270/Ghaleon0721/P3310049.jpg

It almost feels like the black spots are actually pits in the metal. Is that possible? How in the world would you fix that?

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 06:20 PM

I don`t think the coating is only on the front. The car mfrs. actually seem to be so cheap as to put less/different paint on the barrels as opposed to the front. And yes, Meg`s WB is an HF acid wheel cleaner.

It almost feels like the black spots are actually pits in the metal. Is that possible? How in the world would you fix that?

Yes, they are pits, where the brake dust has etched into the paint or the metal. An acid wheel cleaner will dissolve the brake dust, but it will still leave the pits, which is of course really the problem when this happens. You can polish them to try and smooth it up a bit.

This really messes with your head. IME, the worst brake dust is the "break-in" dust which occurs in the first couple of hundred miles. There are good aftermarket brake pads which are virtually dustless, even during that break-in period. So what do you do, take your brand new car home, and change the brake pads? Even if you do that, the way cars are sold today, they usually have some miles on them even when they are "brand new". So it`s possible that your wheels will already have these pits etched into them even if you do drive it right home and change the pads.

arfax
04-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I bought some oem rims from someone that didn`t really clean the back of the wheels and got the same problem. I`ve used wheel brightner a couple of times but some of the stuff remains.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/HeHarHeWeh/HPIM1831.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/HeHarHeWeh/HPIM1832.jpg

and a diff wheel

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/HeHarHeWeh/HPIM1833.jpg

imported_dirtdiggler
04-08-2009, 07:45 PM
My solution was to tape up the openings and the outside of the wheel and painting the inside of the barrell with Wurth wheel spray paint.

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Arfax, nothing`s gonna clean that up, those are corroded to heck. I don`t think there`s really any finish left on there to polish, but you might try metal polish and...well, at this point it might just be worth sanding them down and then doing a bright (metal) polish or repainting them. Accumulator always recommends sand and repaint rather than fiddling around with badly etched wheel backs.

Less
04-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Accumulator always recommends sand and repaint rather than fiddling around with badly etched wheel backs.

Is there a DIY write-up on how to do this anywhere?

Setec Astronomy
04-09-2009, 06:36 AM

I don`t think so...I think Accumulator may have shared his technique but that would take quite a bit of searching...perhaps he`ll drop by here...

I always wonder about having to tape up the spokes so that no overspray comes through to the front...while still being able to get all the spots painted that need to be. I guess it`s just a lot of taping and razor trimming.

imported_dirtdiggler
04-09-2009, 07:36 AM
to add just make sure that the wheel surface is prepped for the paint to adhere so to keep the stick on wheel weights attached to the new surface.

Accumulator
04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Less- Those don`t look all that bad, while I`m *NOT* one for [fooling] around much with such stuff, I`ve cleaned up wheel backs that were a lot worse than that with decent, if not perfect results.

I start with an aggressive wheel cleaner and a mild Scotch-brite pad. Then the same wheel cleaner and aggressive clay. Yeah, the former does quickly dissolve the latter. If necessary, I`ll even resort to a Dremel fitted with a bristle brush (not a brass or steel brush, just the black plastic bristle ones).

Then I use the most aggressive compound I have that`ll work by hand/PC. By this point you have to watch that you don`t completely compromise the often-thin oe paint (wheel backs/barrels don`t seem to get much paint). Then a milder polish, then AIO, then sealant, then just live with them. And when you just *can`t* live with them....

... Accumulator always recommends sand and repaint rather than fiddling around with badly etched wheel backs.

Noting that life is short and I`m very particular....my version of DIYing them is taking them off the vehicle and dropping them off at my painter`s shop. The MPV`s oe wheels are there right now (grr...stupid dealership guys precipitated this, but it`s time to have the back sides reshot anyhow as I`ve worn through the oh-so-thin paint in a few places).

You *could* prep/paint them yourself if you really want to save money and spend time, but I`d still lean towards having them media-blasted for the initial prep.

byers ford
04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
What about trying an old pad and some compound like M105 or M205 or something similar?

May not remove it all, but could remove some. May not damage the clear coat either, if there is any back there.