PDA

View Full Version : So many options! I`m overwhelmed.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Xyxyll
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Short Version Below.

In July of 2005, I made my debut with Autopia. With some help, I prepared my first big detailing order (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/59403-going-all-out-detailing-suggestions-2.html) and prepared my 1993 Toyota MR2 for a great local car show appearance.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/JimB/MR2%20Meets/prep2.jpg

Ever since, I’ve been doing a pretty good job maintaining the now 16yr old paint. Despite my greatest efforts, however, my MR2 left my home garage this summer and baked in the South Carolina sun (summer internship), which began a downward spiral into cloudy oxidation. First it was the wing and the side-view mirrors. Then came the hood, roof, and engine lid. It then spent the fall and beginning of winter in my harsh (cold and windy) school climate of Blacksburg, Virginia. To make things worse, I was involved in a very small collision with another vehicle, which scratched my front bumper.

I returned home in December and garaged the MR2. I’m now looking to rejuvenate the original clarity and depth of the paint with the aid of a Porter Cable Orbital Polisher.

My problem, subsequently the reason for my thread, is not the lack of information available on various polishes. Instead, spending the past 8 hours with the search button has simply thrown me into a headache of confusion and indecisiveness.

Short version (start here)

From what I’ve been able to gather, I need a UDM (a rebadged 7424 now?) and a series of polishes with matching pads. It seems that LC pads are highly regarded as the pads to have (for value and quality), but the recommended polishes depend largely on personal preference, budget, and the level of paint correction needed.

My budget was originally set to $200 (for PC, pads, polishes, sealant, tire dressing, and trim dye), but after finding this kit at autogeek (http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html), it seems that I will have to stretch my budget a bit to achieve my desired results.

Here is a picture of the worst of the damage (the front bumper scratches). Anything that can take these out will surely take out any of the oxidation elsewhere on the car. Note that this picture was taken before the front bumper was cleaned, so the scratches aren’t as tear-jerking as it may seem. If I cannot rid myself of the scratches, I would at least like to minimize them.

What products do you recommend for stepping through this paint correction? I should have about two-straight weeks of time available to labor through the process, so I’m not afraid of going over the car multiple times with the UDM.

Thanks!

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/JimB/MR2%20Meets/th_P1030755.jpg (http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/JimB/MR2%20Meets/P1030755.jpg)

Update on page 2!

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Looking at your old thread, looks like you used KAIO which is great on oxidation. You might try this kit: Meguiar`s G110 Dual-Action Polisher Express Kit (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/g110-kit-2.html) You can still use the KAIO with the G110 or PC. I`m not a huge fan of those kind of kits but that Autogeek one doesn`t look too bad with the orange pads thrown in. Anyway, that ADS kit saves you a bit of money and leaves you a little for your other supplies.

Xyxyll
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Wow, I probably should have mentioned what I used.

Four years ago I washed and claybarred the car and then alternated Zaino Z3 and Z5. Klasse was out of my budget. I have since used Mothers Cleaner Wax and Meguiar`s NXT 2.0 Tech Wax to maintain the finish.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/JimB/MR2%20Meets/prep1.jpg

Street5927
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
The PC would be a good investment, and you can achieve great results with it. I personally would recommend the LC pads also. Depending on the condition (the picture really doesn`t show much), I would get LC orange, white, black and red. I would stick with a larger 5-1/4" pad, and for those tight areas I would invest in the smaller backing plate and add a couple of 4" pads to your supply list. (maybe not immediately, but I have found they do come in handy from time to time). For those really stubborn scratches and swirls, I have found that a good wool pad also comes in extremely handy.

As far as polishes, I really like the M1025/M205 combo. I also like to finish off with Menzerna Micro polish, Menzerna Glaze and top with a good wax.

Of course, all of this assumes a good two bucket wash, clay bar, etc.

Xyxyll
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Will the Meguiar`s Orbital have the same aftermarket selection of pads, backing plates, etc. as the Porter Cable?

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Do you still have your Zaino stuff?

Xyxyll
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
As far as polishes, I really like the M1025/M205 combo. I also like to finish off with Menzerna Micro polish, Menzerna Glaze and top with a good wax.

M1025? M205?

I`ll update the OP with a bigger version of the front bumper picture, but there`s little use snapping a new picture until the car`s a bit cleaner (maybe tomorrow). The scratches are definitely deep enough to notice when dragging a fingernail backhanded across the surface.

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
If the oxidation isn`t too bad, and you don`t mind stopping to clean your pad, and you still have your Zaino for LSP, you could try this kit: Meguiar`s G110 Dual-Action Polisher Kit (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/g110-kit-1.html) , using the M205 (included in the kid) for polish. That leaves you $50 to play with for tire dressing and something for the trim and shipping. And yes, the G110 has the same backing plate options as the PC.

Xyxyll
04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Do you still have your Zaino stuff?

Not exactly. I recently found my Z5 and ZFX, but my Z3 is was borrowed and never returned.

Honestly I wasn`t all that impressed with Zaino. It did what it was supposed to do, but the super-glossy mirror look just didn`t fit my preferences. I`d rather see a red face in the paint than be able to tell if my whitening toothpaste is working. :)

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I threw together a cart at ADS that came to $204.33 with shipping, with that $150 G110 kit, Endurance tire dressing, some trim dye, and M21 sealant. It`s a little skimpy on pads, but you should be able to get the job done for about the budget you set.

Xyxyll
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
My only concern with going with the G110 vs. the PC 7424 is that the 7424 seems to be a more "tried and true" unit. I`m not familiar with Meguiar`s track history. Time to do a bit more research.

XRL
04-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Will the Meguiar`s Orbital have the same aftermarket selection of pads, backing plates, etc. as the Porter Cable?

The Meg`s unit actually comes with a backing plate, but it`ll use all the same hardware. The main difference is that the G110 has more power. I`m not 100% But I believe Meg`s has PC build the G110 to spec at one of their factories. I love my G110, great little machine.

They`re coming out with a new version of the 7424 soon, and if you want to drop some big money the Flex is an amazing piece of machinery, if a little expensive. But you can`t not love the Flex.

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Well, then hands down, the PC wins. The G110 has had a checkered past, but that doesn`t seem to stop people from recommending it (I don`t have one). If it was a few years ago you`d have been able to get a PC at Lowe`s for $99.

Xyxyll
04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
The Meg`s unit actually comes with a backing plate, but it`ll use all the same hardware. The main difference is that the G110 has more power. I`m not 100% But I believe Meg`s has PC build the G110 to spec at one of their factories. I love my G110, great little machine.

They`re coming out with a new version of the 7424 soon, and if you want to drop some big money the Flex is an amazing piece of machinery, if a little expensive. But you can`t not love the Flex.

Well, then hands down, the PC wins. The G110 has had a checkered past, but that doesn`t seem to stop people from recommending it (I don`t have one). If it was a few years ago you`d have been able to get a PC at Lowe`s for $99.

Well after a bit of reading, it appears that the G110 is very easily comparable to the PC7424. In fact, the G100 is the PC7424 (no idea who`s was first). I`ll have to price out different scenarios in the many shops, but I`ll probably aim for a G110 first but can fall back on a PC7424 if necessary.

Original budget aside, what are your thoughts on polishes and sealants. I don`t want to break the bank, but I also don`t want to skimp on anything that might be important.

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
The G100 was just a rebadged PC (the way the UDM is now) and AFAIK the G100 is no longer available. I`m not aware that Meguiar`s has stated that the G110 is built for them by PC; I do remember them stating that it is built in China. The G110 seems to have been prone to a lot of switch/electrical failures early on; I`m not sure if those are resolved.

Polishes and sealants...where to begin...many have stated that the Meguiar`s 105/205 compound/polish have changed the game. They have consumer-version cousins Ultimate Compound and Swirl-X that can be had at Wal-Mart at a very reasonable price.

There are so many sealants...since you`ve been "gone" from Autopia, a new class of sealant has emerged, the "WOWA" (wipe on, walk away), which is probably something you should look into. The Optimum Opti-Seal is the most cost effective. Of course there is also the Optimum Car Wax, which is a spray wax. There are just so many...