PDA

View Full Version : License Plate Detailing?

Pages : [1] 2

shadow85
04-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Anyone detail there plates? Do waxes ans sealants work on them?

Twista616
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
yea they do work on them...i dont think many people "detail" them though...i may be wrong..

Saleenman607
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Why not, I polish and wax my golf clubs while I`m watching TV.

citizen arcane
04-07-2009, 07:13 PM
My state requires (uugh!) front plates. So of course there`s always the scrubbing of bug guts and the requisite application of DG AW....

Labster
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
My state requires (uugh!) front plates. So of course there`s always the scrubbing of bug guts and the requisite application of DG AW....

I live in OH but luckily go to grad school in PA so I never even had the front tapped for plates. I do clean up my rear plate though and usually throw on some AIO.

VroooomCrash
04-07-2009, 08:05 PM
The only thing I am going to detail my plates with is the anti-laser veil paint :)

Yamaha0219
04-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Why not, I polish and wax my golf clubs while I`m watching TV.

LOL that made me laugh. Yea I`ve always wondered about the plates too, I`m from Jersey but I go to school in PA, so I always have the lovely bug guts everytime I go home.

stiffdogg06
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
I will use just clay it with the rest of the car and then apply a durable sealant for bugs and such... That`s as far as I go with that, but I will polish the metal/plastic/chrome license plate trims with #105

IBStoney1
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Tags come off the car and detailed only when the PC hits the finish. Removal is easy and not bumping into and tearing up my pads in my concern.

BobD
04-08-2009, 06:08 AM
You have to be careful with the tags, if your state has them, I think most do. I used a little degreaser on my motorcycle plate one time and the ink on the tags wiped right off.

shadow85
04-08-2009, 07:12 AM
You have to be careful with the tags, if your state has them, I think most do. I used a little degreaser on my motorcycle plate one time and the ink on the tags wiped right off.

no kiddin huh? guess some ONR and maybe an AIO is not to aggressive?

imported_FJF
04-08-2009, 09:56 AM
My state requires a front plate, but I don`t support that piece of legislation, at least as it applies to the quickest car in the stable. I detail its rear plate, though, hoping to deflect a laser aimed by the fuzz. Well, that`s the intent. Whether it works or not is another story, altogether.

stiffdogg06
04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
My state requires a front plate, but I don`t support that piece of legislation, at least as it applies to the quickest car in the stable. I detail its rear plate, though, hoping to deflect a laser aimed by the fuzz. Well, that`s the intent. Whether it works or not is another story, altogether.

Mythbusters already busted all kinds of plate myths.

BobD
04-08-2009, 10:12 AM
no kiddin huh? guess some ONR and maybe an AIO is not to aggressive?

When I say tags I mean the little expiration stickers.

I`d just be careful around those. I had grease/ chain lube all over my plate and the citrus cleaner I used just dissolved it.

Accumulator
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Uhm...of course I detail my license plates..I don`t see how you could keep `em looking as clean and shiny as the rest of the vehicle if you don`t :think:

And the galvanized back sides of Ohio plates will corrode if you don`t take good care of `em. The slicker you keep the back sides, the more readily [stuff] will rinse off during the wash.

I use the Klasse twins on both sides of the plates, many layers. Whenever I pull the plates off to detail behind them, I add some more KSG to the back side and I redo the front side as needed (I clay the front plates a lot on the vehicles that have them). The KAIO and KSG have no detrimental effect on the registration stickers IME. Gotta clean off the KSG (and then reapply) when replacing the registration sticker, but that only takes a moment using alcohol-based window cleaner.

I also use self-adhesive rubber bumpers to hold the plates up away from the underlying paint. Less damage to the paint from the plate vibrating/contacting and easier to rinse behind it.