PDA

View Full Version : Steel Wheels and License Plates

snowskate
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I`ve yet to see or read up on people`s techniques or tips/tricks for cleaning/protecting license plates and steel wheels. (i have some snow tires about to come off and want to store them correctly)

I know they seem pretty low maintenance, but just in case people have helpful ideas let me know.

So sorry for the newbie question, but I figured I`d ask in case there`s more you can do besides washing and/or APC-ing.

Do people clay or AIO or apply sealant?

TIA

corrswitch
04-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes, quite interested as well.

It seems the steel wheels are more prone to rust up in Canada.

Despite putting on some good sealants, eventually rust starts to show up.

Especially on that "axel" if I called it correctly or those metal clips.

I know a picture would help but I hope people know what I mean.

tom p.
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I`ve never bothered to make any additional steps for the steel wheels I use during the winter months as they are covered by plastic wheel covers. I do perform an intense clean up session with the power washer when I put them away for the season.

I do wax license plate frames with a sealant or whatever assuming it`s not a matte finish.

snowskate
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Forgot to mention...my steel wheels are the matte black ones from TireRack and I don`t use wheel covers. I like the dark look, goes well with my paint and window tinting.

Accumulator
04-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Forgot to mention...my steel wheels are the matte black ones from TireRack and I don`t use wheel covers..

That`s the setup I have on the MPV during the winter. I polished the wheels a bit to smooth up the paint and since then I just AIO (actually I usually use Autoglym SRP) and 476S (several coats). The Collinite usually lasts *almost* all winter (I clean them with a sorta-strong shampoo mix).

When mounting the wheels for the winter, I put a dab of white anti-seize on the part of the hub that contacts the rotor hat/brake drum face, makes for less rust and hence an easier dismount come spring.

For license plates, I use the Klasse twins, many layers both front and back. And I stick rubber bumpers on the back side to hold the plates out away from the paint just a little bit. Every time I pull the plates off to detail behind them, I add some more KSG before reinstalling.

imported_etml12
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I also use the TireRack steel wheel winter setup. Maybe they are different models but I wouldn`t describe what I have as matte. Or, similar to what Accumulator said, I initially polished them and have been maintaining that look. Prior to storage this year, they received a thorough cleaning with P21S wheel cleaner (the inner barrel gets pretty bad after a full winter). Then I hit them with an AIO or BF gloss enhancing polish, a coat or two of DWG, and finish with a durable sealant. That way they are ready to go at the end of next fall and I maintain them all winter with ONR and Duragloss AW.

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2009, 01:10 PM
On steel winter wheels, after a good washing I use the good ol` red bottle OTC Meg`s cleaner wax...

Accumulator
04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I also use the TireRack steel wheel winter setup. Maybe they are different models but I wouldn`t describe what I have as matte..

With a little polishing the fine line between "matte" and "satin" gets crossed pretty fast.

Then I hit them with an AIO or BF gloss enhancing polish...

I don`t use the BF GEP for that, but for satin/etc. black single stage in general it`s *GREAT* stuff :xyxthumbs I use it on all sorts of suspension/underhood stuff, and even for the MPV`s rear brake drums (it works incredibly well on them, despite all their specs of surface rust, it`s just amazing how they turn out).