PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding clearcoat question

n618ft
04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I had some minor work done to my GTO where they had to clear part of the fender, door, and quarter. When I got it back a few days ago, there was a lot of orange peel - inconsistent with the OEM paint. I took it back today and got it a lot better - the orange peel went away in a lot of areas and the door is actually clean as glass.

It seems very time consuming/hard to get it perfect but I`m happy with what came out of it - I`ll get around to wetsanding the small areas that are left over myself as I detail the car... rather not risk them manhandling it again!

However, from what I`ve heard, it`s nearly impossible to wetsand the orange peel completely out of OEM clear coats without risking clearcoat failure... but what about out of a repaint like that? I`m a little worried that the door that`s like a perfect mirror finish might be cut too deep... but isn`t a repaint like that much thicker on the clear coat than from the factory?

stiffdogg06
04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes, "most" of the time the paint levels will be higher on a repaint than an OEM. I will never wetsand an OEM paint job to remove orange peel.

I honestly don`t think I will ever wetsand a car without a PTG anymore...

n618ft
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Yea, I think I`ll take it to my buddy in the morning and see how thick those spots are just for good measure.