PDA

View Full Version : M80!

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Ivan Rajic
04-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I just wanted to express my thanks to Meguiar`s for making M80 and beg them to keep making it!! I`ve been using it this year (past 1.5-2 months) every single detail on the rotary for everything from 1 to 4 step and I`ve been reminded of how much better it is, at least for me, than the Meznerna stuff I replaced it with for a few months last summer/fall... great cutting ability even on Audi clear coar and finishes down pretty much perfect on 89 BMW ss paint... it cleans up well behind M95/M105 and has almost no dust whatsoever... it`s VERY user friendly on RO and rotary in that it stays lubricated well, has a `perfect` working time, and again, no dust, splatter, etc. if used properly (which isn`t hard to do).

Simply amazing polish! (No I wasn`t paid to say this haha, just figured I`d share my recent experience with an old `friend`)

PS> If anyone knows.. Are the old pads, 8006 and 9006 still being manufactured or no? If not I`ll have to do a HUGE order as nothing beats those two pads, nothing.

Jason M
04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
8006 and 9006 are still being made as far as I have heard.

Envious Eric
04-06-2009, 10:57 PM
have you compared it to 205? I havent done the comparison yet, but would like to hear some feedback on it...

sorry for the thread jack if you havent

Accumulator
04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
lecchilo- Well, I don`t get much corrective ability out of it on our Audis via PC/Cyclo, but I agree that it`s still very good stuff.

imported_Ivan Rajic
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
lecchilo- Well, I don`t get much corrective ability out of it on our Audis via PC/Cyclo, but I agree that it`s still very good stuff.

Hey bud, try it with rotary on 8006 pad, maybe even 9006, and follow this procedure:

prime the pad like you would with M105, etc. and KBM... you don`t need the whole pad primed as you do with M105/205 but most of it... then just apply an x on the pad about 1/8 thick (very little polish)

2 passes @ 600 with only rotary weight acting as pressure to spread the polish (slowly at about 3-5"/second)

1 pass with some more pressure @ 900 and about 2-3"/second

1 pass with even more pressure @ 1200 and again a bit slower, 1-3"/second

2 passes @ 1500 with a pretty good amount of pressure... this is where all the cutting happens and with M80/8006/9006 the pressure really helps the correcting ability of the combo(s)

1 pass at around 1100-1200 keeping it at 1-2"/second

2 final passes @ 900rpm to refine the finish...

I detailed 2 Audis with M80/8006 this past weekend (1 black 05 and 1 gray 0something haha) and they both turned out great for just a 1-step... no holograms and LSP ready finish...

Give it a shot again when you`re bored and you`ll be a believer because I did a lot of Audis over the past few years and always went for at least a 2-step because of their hard as a rock paint, but recently turned to M80/8006 and I can see doing a 2-step with M80/8006 and M80/9006 to get the car in pretty much perfect shape... I`ll post some pics when I get a chance

Accumulator
04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
lecchilo- Yeah, via rotary I can imagine it doing well, I`ve corrected Audis with milder stuff than #80 via rotary. I just never use my rotaries much any more (since gettng the Flex and M105) and I never did quite get the hang of #80 via rotary :nixweiss The technique you described (good description BTW) sounds similar to what I was doing, but...eh..not like everything works the same for everyone I guess.

imported_Ivan Rajic
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
lecchilo- Yeah, via rotary I can imagine it doing well, I`ve corrected Audis with milder stuff than #80 via rotary. I just never use my rotaries much any more (since gettng the Flex and M105) and I never did quite get the hang of #80 via rotary :nixweiss The technique you described (good description BTW) sounds similar to what I was doing, but...eh..not like everything works the same for everyone I guess.

Yea that`s true... I just like M80 for a 1-step because it really does take care of deeper swirls but finishes down nicely... again, I`ll post some pics later when I can

steck
04-09-2009, 03:07 AM
i`ve used #80 as my finl polish for many years.

never having to stray away from it.

what`s with all the old school meg threads lately !!

funny how products come full circle and come into vogue again....

imported_RZJZA80
04-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I`m actually using 80 on a car right now and I`m amazed (again) at how well it works. I`m using it with a rotary and 4" LC white pad, finish is perfect.

Scottwax
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
What amazed me about #80 was how great the cut and finish was on a Ferrari 348 Spider I did last year. Somewhat soft single stage red paint and #80 cleaned up the oxidation, took out 95% of the swirls and left a hologram free finish. Still followed with Ultrafina to be sure, but I`m not sure I reall had to.

ShineTech
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
What I also like about 80 is the playtime you have with it. You can keep going without it drying out on you so quickly. I also agree that on the rotory with 8006-9006 pad you can get great results.

DM101
04-09-2009, 09:05 AM
I have some M81 ... How does that compare to Men. PO85RD ?? I have not used the M81 in a long time. I don`t need correction I am after depth and wet look.

Accumulator
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Q for you #80/rotary users- Last time I used #80 on the A8 I followed it with a AIO-type product, and I was kinda surprised by how much marring reappeared; it was a lot more concealing than I`d expected. This makes me wonder...what about the chance of concealed holograms?

Since IME the trade secret oils in #80 (or whatever ingredient does it..) can do enough comcealing to hide light holograms, how do you know if you have any of those? I wouldn`t want to do some IPA-wipedown as the stuff #80 leaves behind is so nice, and, well, to be honest I won`t be finishing out with #80 or anything else by rotary myself, but I did want to ask you guys about this...(ScottWax- I know you handled it with the Ultrafina, but otherwise I just dunno how you could *know* if you had the holograms :confused: )

MDRX8- The #81 Hand Polish is another variation on the Meguiar`s "pure polish" theme. It`s nonabrasive and, *IMO*, sorta in-between #3 and #7, kinda like Deep Crystal Step #2.

Scottwax
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Accumulator-pull the car into the sun. I`ve noticed with Meguiars 80 series polishes that the heat from the sun evaporates the oils pretty quickly. #83 can look perfect right after polishing but 5 minutes in the sun will give you a true picture of the paint...and it isn`t so perfect anymore. :(

Accumulator
04-09-2009, 09:51 AM
ScottWax- Ah yes, I never think of that as I can`t pull stuff out for that long at my place without contamination becoming a serious issue. For people without the problem it`d be a great solution.

Heh heh, and yeah...you`ve spotted that with #83 too ;) For some reason people often don`t expect it with that stuff.