PDA

View Full Version : Discussion on Spit Shinning

Pages : [1] 2 3

Beemerboy
10-22-2005, 06:34 PM
I have read about this on here and wanted to see how many of you use this process and if you have found any greater difference.

I’m kind of old school but recently I tried this on my Murano and was blown away by the depth of the shine. I used PB S&G and Nattys for the product.

If I am doing to right I misted the panel with S&G then with a foam applicator I used the Nattys and rubbed the wax until it was just about gone, let sit for a minute then buffed off using a PB plush blue MF towel.

The one thing that I do think is that the wax seems to go on very even and you can get great coverage with this process.

I’m going to take some pics tomorrow and will post

Who else’s is doping this? what process are you doing different from mine?

joyriide1113
10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
ive done it. i did 3 layers of pink wax once in one day. each layer was a noticeable different. unfortunately due to time and shoulder endurance i dont do it anymore as much.

travisdecpn
10-22-2005, 07:06 PM
I guess I am doing it the wrong way. Yesterday I used some NXT, let it haze, then misted the panel with S&G. It left no residue or streaks which was very nice.

Beemerboy
10-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Travis

That`s why I started this thread to see if I had it right..The way that I`m doing it sure produces a grea shine that`s for sure!

Again my feelings are that the wax seems to spreads real even and I know that`s key in getting a good even shine on the car

JeffW
10-22-2005, 07:20 PM
If you already have a layer or 2 of Nattys-Blue (or whatever) applied via traditional method and then apply another via the Spit Shinning method do you think there will be noticably better results?

joe.p
10-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Beemer,

i do it the same way and i`ll spray a little on the applicator.

cwcad
10-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I guess I am doing it the wrong way. Yesterday I used some NXT, let it haze, then misted the panel with S&G. It left no residue or streaks which was very nice.

That is the way i did it also. It was nice but it was not better. Will try what Beemerboy suggested to see if the results change.

Sherman8r44
10-22-2005, 08:05 PM
The way I understand it is that spit shining is when u spray a qd on an ALREADY WAXED car as ur about to apply another coat, as the qd acts as a barrier between the 2 coats. Supposedly this allows more shine and protection because the solvents of the 2nd coat don`t take off part of the first coat when the qd is in between.

It seems like what Travis is doing is similar to just qd`ing after removing the NXT--except that it might make the NXT easier to remove. Beemerboy--if u had another coat of wax on the car, it should have provided the "barrier". If not, it`s just like using a damp applicator--it makes it easier to spread the wax.

I`m just going by old threads/arguments on the subject. I haven`t tried any form of the process myself, and I can`t really tell the difference between 1 coat and 3 coats anyway.

Bill D
10-22-2005, 10:45 PM
The process I learned is close . It calls for spraying the panel with a carnauba QD or distilled water, dampening the applicator pad with it, getting plenty of wax on it and starting wax in small sections at a time making sure to keep droplets of the QD/water on the area while massaging in the wax. I usually count 20 seconds, then move on to another small area, then another and then go back to first section, al the while making assure the pad is moist and I have kept the droplets present. This is for the reasons Sherman8r44 mentioned. this process is repeated per panel, eventually completing the entire car. From this, it`s understandable that it can be tedious. What some won`t do for their cars! ;) It`s irrational madness at that point. :biggrin:

travisdecpn
10-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I`ll have to give this method a try one of these days, sounds very interesting. Maybe applying and removing #16 will become even easier.

G35stilez
10-23-2005, 04:59 PM
The way I do it is:

-Mist panel and applicator with QD
-Apply wax with damp applicator to one panel massaging it in well
-Use the reccomended (wax) dry time, then mist QD on the surface and remove

The big thing with spit shining is how much wax it actually leaves behind. Doing it side by side without spit shining, the spit side looks noticeably better and hides minor marring better. If I am going to wax, this is the only way I do it.

Hawaiianelement
10-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow , this thread is interesting. I `m going to try it on the bimmer when the weather clears..All weekend its been raining..

Beemerboy
10-23-2005, 07:33 PM
GSR

I`m doing the same thing but not spraying the car down after the wax has dried....The silver Corvette that I did today came out like a mirror and the customer noticed the difference, its a reguar guy that I detail for

rabbi
10-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I tried this once with Opti Spray Wax and wasn`t impressed with the results. I will however do a spitshine side by comparison using Natty`s on my hood one of these days and report my findings.

conrad.maranan
10-23-2005, 09:56 PM
With all of the recent talk about this, I decided to finally give this a shot last Friday. Here`s how I went about it:

- Chill QD in freezer
- Wax car and dry to a haze
- Mist chilled QD on each panel
- Remove wax with MF
- Wax misted panels and dry to a haze
- Remove wax with MF
- Buff with MF

I`m not sure my method is correct, but I did notice a drastic difference in the appearance of my vehicle. There was more depth in the shine. The added bonus was not having to deal with residue while buffing off the wax.