PDA

View Full Version : "Polishing w/Parkinsons" aka the new MSPCM

imported_dragula
04-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Now that everyone is creating more secret decoder ring inputs via personal experimentation, I thought I`d throw my hat in the ring.

About the title: While some might not find my reference PC, I find it totally PC! (Literal paradoxicality FTMFW)

This shall now be known as the Matt Shaw Porter Cable Method, and all royalites, commissions, and subpoenas must be addressed to the aforementioned namesake.

We all know that polishing with a PC/foam pad, that mainly the ID (inner diameter) of the pad does the majority of the work, hence the need for overlapping passes.

Well, in my infinite wisdom (perpetuated by accidentally double dosing my Adderall) I have found a method that, while not completely solving, at least helps in generating greater pad effectiveness, while simultaneously making the process safer.

Basically what I have been trying when it comes to large flat areas is:

When moving the PC with the usual pressure for defect removal, I will "figure 8" the pad face through manipulation of the face angle.

These are very subtle angle changes, and it is also req`d to move the pad at a slightly slower rate across the surface than usual.

It could be compared to the movement of a Bosu Ball whilst trying to maintain balance (without looking like a total ferry, which is an effect Bosu Balls have on even the manliest of men)

Imagine also if you will, Grandpa Yoder in all his 96 year old Parkinsonian grace trying to polish with a PC... (please refrain from "omg my grand pappy has parkinsons that aint funny")

Thus far this technique has garnered me greater correction ability in the same time frame, while making the pad last a bit longer.

Be sure to use a compound with a long-ish working time, and maybe cut down on the size of the area to be polished i.e. 1x1 instead of 1.5x1.5.

This process also makes the correction/danger ratio fall dramatically, because of eliminating EXCESS heat. I know we need heat, but this seems to only eliminate the backing-plate melting excess heat.

I have tried this with 4``,5``,5.5``, and 6`` pads, with the best results coming from the smaller of the pads.

Sorry if this is poorly explained (or just retarted).

I will try to post a video for reference, but my wife`s boyfriend has our camera...:aww:

craigdt
04-05-2009, 11:31 AM
While not COMPLETELY retarded...

It actually makes sense.

The question I have, is how this works on different pads. The new Kompressor pads, etc. is this affected the same way.

And is the effect as noticeable when used on smaller pads?

Good idea here

imported_dragula
04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I have not used it on the new Kompressor pads, but with almost every other kind besides Edge.

The smaller the pad, the more important lubrication becomes, and sometimes I cut the speed of the machine (from 6-5) down a bit.

I think it shows it`s best benefit with the CCS pads, but then it is important to not oversaturate the pad, as fresh products will be introduced. This is where the water spritz (distilled of course) comes into play.

It is an easier technique with bigger flat pads (as far as control), but it only seems applicable on large, flat areas.

I should also mention that the condition of the machine is important as well...If it is beat up, it might perform this technique on it`s own, lol.

I actually machined my own mandrel adapter for a 5`` backing plate with a purposeful deviation in the thread angle (vertical), so that the pad face was not level. However, this fubbed things up and KILLED the fluidity of the rotation.