PDA

View Full Version : Black MDX

Pages : [1] 2

JSFM35X
04-05-2009, 09:04 AM
I am considering a black MDX for my wifes DD. I maintain the cars and I have heard alot about black Acura/Honda paint. Am I nuts getting this color car?

I like how it looks, but if it is very hard to maintain I may just opt for the white one. Black looks so great when maintained.

I just hope I am up for it.

How soft is the CC on this car. Please chime in.

Also, and comment on brake dust on these cars. i am looking at the sport version bc the wheels are a hell of alot easier to clean!

I wash the cars by hand except for the dog days of the NY winters.

Thanks,

jeff

mini1
04-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Don`t do it. If you live where they salt the roads in the winter, then black is NOT for you. I had a black car in Florida and I had to sell it because it was driving me crazy trying to keep clean and swirl free.

JSFM35X
04-06-2009, 06:07 AM
Anyone else have some hands on experience?

imported_Detailing Technology
04-06-2009, 06:33 AM
I may be getting an 2010 MDX for my wife also in August. Would be good to know.

imported_etml12
04-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda/Acura nighthawk black pearl is definitely soft. This is often discussed around here. Yes, it will take some work to care for, but at the same time, it is very easy to correct.

Less
04-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Yes, it will take some work to care for, but at the same time, it is very easy to correct.

And it looks freakin` awesome

04-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Wait, I forgot...

It`s the same paint at this..

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/116129-2009-acura-tl.html

Not as soft as the Civic nighthawk black pearl I did previously. Maybe Honda uses a different clear on the 09 Acura line.

It wasnt bad at all.

Flashtime
04-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Like most Honda`s, it`s a well made vehicle. And since you`re an autopian,

does it matter if it`s black? More reason to maintain it and try out different

products and support this industry/economy. :)

bubble
04-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I have an Acura RSX in black. It`s a 2004 so I don`t know if Honda/Acura changed their paint after all these years. The paint on my car is SUPER soft. I am very gentle to the paint every time I work on it (Since I am not very strong anyway), but there are still swirls EVERYWHERE! It hurts my eyes when I look at it under the sun. Sometimes I wish that I can go back to pre-Autopia time so I wouldn`t know what they are and wouldn`t be this painful.

Downgear
04-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I have black honda paint and its fine. You have to be pretty careful with your washing ie. boars hairbrush, foam gun, sheepskin and dual grit guard buckets. Once you get that down pat its really not that big a deal. I winter drive the car and everything and it stays close to perfect then usually do a super light polish in the spring to make it 100% again.

Flashtime
04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Get it. Enjoy it. Maintain it. Be happy. :)

04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
FYI - If I get it, its going to be white. I dont have the time anymore for these black nightmares.

It`s between that an the FX35. 7 passenger seating may win though.

dublifecrisis
04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
my neighbor has a pearl white one and it looks awesome. I like the black one too and like others have said: DO IT! it`s rewarding to see black when it`s all polished up. Just don`t ever let the dealer give it the courtesy wash, don`t run it through the tunnels and be gentle. and make sure you have super duper good finishing polish.

JSFM35X
04-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I am going to the dealer tonight to finalize the sale. They have both colors so its not an issue. The black car happens to be on the showroom floor. I told him I am coming with a super strong LED light and 2 MF cloths and some Ultima Quick Detailing Spray. If they scratch it will be white for me! I have 1 black car that has become the focus of my perfecting my wash process and general obsesson in general. To have 2 DD that require that much time/attention and effort would drive me into the looney bin (my wife thinks I am there already!). I have not touched the washer and dryier in 18 years of marriage. Since I purchased the AutoSpa MF I do a weekly wash.

If the black paint is Kool with the QD it will be Black all the way.

Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions. I appreciate them very much!

Jeff

VroooomCrash
04-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Nothing looks better than a clean, shiny, black car. Yet nothing looks worse than a dirty one.

The black on the MDX is, I believe, "formal black". If that black doesn`t work out, I would go for the darker silver color they offer. I saw one in a show room and it looked really nice.

If you are willing to wait, I keep getting spam from Acura about the ZDX prototype they are unveiling at the NY auto show...the really dark pictures they show of it so far make it look like a "CUV" that looks really sexy.