PDA

View Full Version : Drying Technique?

Pages : [1] 2

shadow85
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I have been using the Sonus Der Wonder Drying towel and it seems to have a problem. The mf seems to just push the water around spreading it and not picking it up. I am thinking of pressing the mf in more but am afraid. Does cold water make it any harder to dry? I get so frustrated that the mf is not picking up the water that I just let it air dry (way to intro water spots). I might give the absorber a try. Any comments?

GLuXuRy
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
do you wash your MF`s properly ?

maybe your MF is just old .. try a new towel

shadow85
04-04-2009, 08:43 PM
do you wash your MF`s properly ?

maybe your MF is just old .. try a new towel

Yes they are clean. This is a pretty new towel, only used twice. I must be doing something wrong....

BigAl3
04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
have you tried blotting? i move the waffle weave lightly & slowly when drying so it picks up the water and doesn`t drag or push it around. also, try sheeting as much water off with just the hose and you`ll notice there won`t be much water to pick up. if you use a leaf blower, it helps as well but is the most effective when you have a good coat of wax/sealant on the finish, otherwise the water drags off slowly...

shadow85
04-04-2009, 09:04 PM
have you tried blotting? i move the waffle weave lightly & slowly when drying so it picks up the water and doesn`t drag or push it around. also, try sheeting as much water off with just the hose and you`ll notice there won`t be much water to pick up. if you use a leaf blower, it helps as well but is the most effective when you have a good coat of wax/sealant on the finish, otherwise the water drags off slowly...

Thanks. I use ONR and dont have a hose. No leaf blower either. I tried blotting but its doent help much. Also tried moving slowly. Its almost as tho the towel is waterproof. Maybe it needs to be washed a couple more times to get it "activated"? I am thinking of giving my cobra 530 towel a shot at drying. Its thicker and soft. Dont know how that will work. I know bath towels work well but I pledged to stick with mf.

Flawless Image
04-04-2009, 09:07 PM
i know i may catch hell about this... but is it ok to use a chamoise? i have one of those high grade leather ones.. is it wrong to use this? do i need to switch to microfiber towels?

BigJimZ28
04-04-2009, 09:29 PM
i know i may catch hell about this... but is it ok to use a chamoise? i have one of those high grade leather ones.. is it wrong to use this? do i need to switch to microfiber towels?

Na no hell just a little info to help you out:cool:

the problem is IF there is ANY dirt still on the car it WILL scratch or swirl the paint

IF the same dirt is there with a MF with some nap to it there is a good chance the dirt will not cause any damage to the paint

Flawless Image
04-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Na no hell just a little info to help you out:cool:

the problem is IF there is ANY dirt still on the car it WILL scratch or swirl the paint

IF the same dirt is there with a MF with some nap to it there is a good chance the dirt will not cause any damage to the paint

so should i use my air compressor AND an MF towel?

BRODEY1
04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
did you use any fabric softeners while washing or drying? Back in the day I used Bounce sheets while drying, it ruined absorbancy.

Mark77
04-04-2009, 10:38 PM
I know what he means, sometimes a WW MF needs to get a bit moist before it works well.. I spray some ONR mixed as QD on the towel before I start drying, it helps..

BigAl3
04-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks. I use ONR and dont have a hose. No leaf blower either. I tried blotting but its doent help much. Also tried moving slowly. Its almost as tho the towel is waterproof. Maybe it needs to be washed a couple more times to get it "activated"? I am thinking of giving my cobra 530 towel a shot at drying. Its thicker and soft. Dont know how that will work. I know bath towels work well but I pledged to stick with mf.

try re-washing the waffle weave(s) in hot water with a dash of liquid detergent and then on the final rinse cycle add vinegar. then do another rinse cycle to completely rid anything that might be leftover...

pick up some of these waffle weaves next time you order some. they are the only kind of waffle weaves i use (the ultra-soft ones) and they do a great job of absorbing water as well. also, you can`t beat the price on them right now ($6.30) and you can save an additional 10% off with the autopian discount...

Blue Perl Drying Towel (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mf-204.html)

citizen arcane
04-05-2009, 09:58 AM
It could be technique. As Mark77 said I find my ww work best when damp. After a traditional wash I blow dry leaving about 30% of the water on the paint while leaving the glass untouched by the blower, then start drying the glass first to "prime" the towel. Works for me.

pick up some of these waffle weaves next time you order some. they are the only kind of waffle weaves i use (the ultra-soft ones) and they do a great job of absorbing water as well. also, you can`t beat the price on them right now ($6.30) and you can save an additional 10% off with the autopian discount...

Blue Perl Drying Towel (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mf-204.html)

+1 :up

Accumulator
04-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Random thoughts:

Leather (and also, IME synthetic) chamois never get *all* the water up, they always leave a tiny bit behind so you still need to follow up with *something*. IF you don`t think your chamoi is leaving water behind you might oughta reconsider your lighting ;)

Yeah, *good* cotton towels sure do dry things well. The way cotton absorbs always pleases me more than the way MF adsorbs, but my cotton textiles never stay soft for all that long. My MFs pass the CD-test longer (but eventually even those need replaced).

The WWMFs-not-adsorbing-anymore was covered in depth a while back..the thread title was something like "Don`t you hate when your WWs do this.." or something like that. It seems that WWMFs often become less effective with use; sometimes extreme laundering methods can solve the problem sometimes not. Using QDs while drying makes this whole thing tougher to deal with.

Yeah, blowing off as much water as possible makes for less water to soak up and also less touching (hence less marring).

pwaug
04-05-2009, 12:14 PM
you can save an additional 10% off with the autopian discount...

Blue Perl Drying Towel (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mf-204.html)[/QUOTE]

Al-This is a great price for a 25 X 36" WW!! How do you get the 10% discount?

craigdt
04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
That is a good price.

Type "autopia" into the promo code box for the 10%