PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on side view mirrors!

Funion
10-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Today I washed my car and stupidly used my towel to wash the mirrors, now it have lots of scratches, but not as deep. Any solutions to take them out?

budman3
10-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Go to any auto parts store and pick up some Meguiars Scratch X. That should be good for you to use by hand to get rid of those scratches. Make sure you wax after using it! And welcome to DC!

Luster
10-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Another good product for very light scratches is 3M Swirl Mark Remover.

I`ve used it quite a bit and it works.

I always follow up with my sealant an QD.

CharlesW
10-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Today I washed my car and stupidly used my towel to wash the mirrors, now it have lots of scratches, but not as deep. Any solutions to take them out?Yikes!
What kind of towel was it?
I`ve used cotton terry towels for years and never had that problem. While I do use MF towels today, I wouldn`t hesitate to use one of my good cotton towels if it was more convenient.

Charles

Big Leegr
10-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Are you referring to the housing or the actual mirror? If it`s the mirror, a plastic polish may be a better alternative to the paint repair products. (Mirrors aren`t glass in most cars, now.)

Funion
10-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Does any of these products damage the mirrors in anyway? It won`t smudge/blur it right? Yes, it`s the actual mirror.

P.S. This forum is way better than toyotanation which never replies. :)

Luster
10-22-2005, 03:48 PM
My mistake... I thought you were talking about the body color mirror housing...

Luster
10-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Since mirrors are made of glass, I would think a glass polish would work.

http://www.scratchpolish.com/3301.jpg

Glass Scratch Polish... click here... (http://www.scratchpolish.com/repair_systems.htm#JV330)

Haven`t used this product, but one of my friends swears by it.

CharlesW
10-22-2005, 04:28 PM
You might want to check the auto supply stores for a replacement mirror kit.
Advance Auto lists them for a 1999 Corolla, but it doesn`t show a picture.
I think the kit is a replacement glass /plastic mirror that has adhesive on it to let you attach it to the mirror housing of the vehicle.

Charles

Funion
10-22-2005, 08:47 PM
O.K, I`m thinking of the using the polish, but stuck between the glass or plastic polish. Anyone know what my mirror is made of? It`s a 98-02 Corolla.

Hey Luster, is that your car on your sig, the engine looks crazy. :punk:

Luster
10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey Luster, is that your car on your sig, the engine looks crazy. :punk:
Yes it is. I have issues....... :-p