PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Advice

Joey7489
04-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey guys..

When I detail black cars I usually end up with micromarring. I think its because I dont really work the paint enough and that I am using to soft of a pad with the finishing polish and glaze..

heres my usual procedure with black

Proper washing

Claybar

White lake country-Poorboys SSR 2 or 2.5

White lake country-Menzerna or Optimum Polish

Blue lake country-Menzerna or optimum finishing polish

Red/Grey-wax/sealant (P21 Caranuba or Meguiars Wax)

Do you think Orange with poorboys and white with everything else? or Orange with compound, orange with polish, white with finishing polish etc. etc..

Any opinions would be appreciated.

What are your opinions on Tropi-care?

I have used it with pretty decent results but wanted to see if anyone else has tried their products.

I am about to order some stuff through auto-geek for summer. Any recommendations on new compounds/polishes to try?

Thanks for any input!

XRL
04-02-2009, 11:46 PM
I might be wrong, but if you`re getting micromarring that would be from being too aggressive and not finishing the polishing off. It would just be swirls and marring (is there a difference between swirls and micro marring?) that hadn`t come out yet that would require more cut.

Have you tried the new Meguiar`s polishes? M102/M205 are supposed to use diminishing abrasives so they polish out any new marks they make. If you haven`t tried it, I`d pick some up for sure.

REVNU
04-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Have you tried the new Meguiar`s polishes? M102/M205 are supposed to use diminishing abrasives so they polish out any new marks they make. If you haven`t tried it, I`d pick some up for sure.

Correction. M105/M205 Do NOT use diminishing abrasives, they use Micro-Abrasives. The M205 does finish out nicely.

As far as the Micro-marring - try working smaller sections and make sure you are breaking the product down. Start with a white pad and your compound, if that doesn`t seem to correct enough, move to an orange pad. Then use your fine polish and white or blue pad or both. It`s really hard to say what exactly you should do as all paint is different. Good luck!