PDA

View Full Version : What are these bubble looking things?

indelible
04-01-2009, 12:24 AM
So we just got a brand new Scion tC 3 weeks ago. washed it for the first time this week and noticed these little blue-hued bubble/stain looking things on the paint and on the glass. When you run your finger over them you dont feel anything, so they seem to be between the clearcoat and the paint. i dont think they`re solvent pop because they`re smooth. Can these be dealt with easily? I contacted the dealer and they want me to bring the car by, but they`re an hour and a half away, so I`d rather clear them myself if at all possible.

here are some pictures

Pictures by scionpaint - Photobucket (http://s631.photobucket.com/albums/uu33/scionpaint/)

a.k.a. Patrick
04-01-2009, 06:00 AM
They almost appear to be some sort of fallout or oil stain. Have you tried using a paint cleaner (even rubbing alcohol) on a spot?

Bostonsfavson
04-01-2009, 06:11 AM
They almost appear to be some sort of fallout or oil stain. Have you tried using a paint cleaner (even rubbing alcohol) on a spot?

+1. Hopefully this will take care of it. The dealership should be the last resort here--they`ll most likely just make things worse.

indelible
04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Somebody else recommended that I use a cleaner. Is this what I should/could use?

Meguiar`s Direct Cleaner Wax - Liquid (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+A1216)

Setec Astronomy
04-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Yeah, you could try that Meg`s cleaner wax, it`s good stuff (just don`t get it on any rubber or black trim, it will stain it and you will be sorry). You should be able to get it locally (Wal-Mart, Target, Pep Boys, etc.).

indelible
04-01-2009, 07:58 AM
if the stuff doesnt come off by hand, should i try it with a buffer?

Setec Astronomy
04-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I just looked at all your pictures...and some of the spots are on the trim or perilously close. IMO if that stuff doesn`t come off by hand it won`t with a buffer, either. What do you want to do? If you are going to order online there are better products (cleaners, as Patrick suggested) than that Meg`s cleaner wax. If you can get it locally to try on the spots, just to see what you`re dealing with, that`s not too much time, money, or effort.

As has been said, they look like some oily fallout or water-spot kind of thing. It`s going to be hard to tell until you try something on them.

indelible
04-01-2009, 09:22 AM
can you recommend anything better that i can buy in store? i kinda want to get this fixed ASAP so i`d rather not order online. around me, i have pep boys, kragen, autozone, and walmart.

Setec Astronomy
04-01-2009, 09:37 AM
How about the new Meguiar`s Swirl-X at Wal-Mart? It`s about $8. I haven`t used it, but it will probably be more trim-friendly than that cleaner wax. Of course, you will need to heed the directions and follow it with something that will protect. Or you can just try that cleaner wax, it`s good stuff just don`t get it on the trim, it will stain.

indelible
04-01-2009, 11:39 PM
ok i got the cleaner wax and it worked great!

Setec Astronomy
04-02-2009, 05:52 AM
Glad to hear you got the problem solved!