PDA

View Full Version : Don`t scratch a detailer`s personal vehicle

Pages : [1] 2 3

TSC17
03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Or you`ll receive a bill!

I usually go to my local Acura dealer to get my oil changed. They all know me, they know what I do, and they know to be extremely careful with my car.

I was in a hurry today so I stopped by my local Jiffy lube where I usually have my van done.

When they`re done, I go to get in my car and notice grease marks on the fenders. I take a closer look, and to my dismay they`ve scratched it all up...on both fenders! You know those "protectors" they put over the fenders? Well these hadn`t been cleaned in months, and the idiots just pulled them across the nice finish as if they were doing a little drysanding.

I went in to speak with the manager, handed him my business card, and then asked him to come out to look. I pointed out every bit of damage (it was everywhere), and he looked at me as if I was on crack, and said he couldn`t see any damage. I told him that I could either cancel my credit card, or give him an invoice for damages. After a while he reluctantly agreed to pay me to fix it, and said he`d have to "take my word" because he couldn`t see the damage.

He then tried to turn it around and say it was my fault because I didn`t warn them to be careful with my nice car (07 Acura TL Type S...black). So I guess it`s the customer`s responsibility now to tell Jiffy lube to be careful with their cars. Amazing!

I came home and took a bunch of photos of the damage, and proceeded to polish it out. It only took an hour, but he`s receiving an invoice along with photographic evidence of the damage. I told him to use this to train his monkeys to be more careful with people`s cars.

So when a car pulls up and you can tell even when a little dirty that it looks like this:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/tsc17/IMG_2295.jpg

Don`t screw up and cause this:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/tsc17/IMG_2632.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/tsc17/IMG_2628.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/tsc17/IMG_2634.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/tsc17/IMG_2631.jpg

Lumadar
03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
I feel your pain... simply amazing how clueless 99.9999% of the population is about paint care.

Barry Theal
03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
todd first off that damn strip that runs across your ceiling is killing me its looks so good on the hood! great reflection! secondly i would bill him a ton just to prove a point!!!! man im really liking that new shop look you got going on!!

gervin
03-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear man.

That is why I always change my oil myself.

bwalker25
03-31-2009, 03:30 PM
hate that happened, good thing it wasn`t more severe and couldn`t be polished out! :) I am digging the reflection of the hood!

TSC17
03-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Barry...thanks!

I used to change it myself (when I had "free time"), but I ended up stockpiling used motor oil in my garage as a result. This is the only problem I`ve ever had, and with my schedule it`s worth it to pay somebody to do it for me.

htodd
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Todd, do you usually use Lindsay or Columbus Acura?

I`ve been going to Lindsay and haven`t had any problems yet (knock wood).

TSC17
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Lindsay Acura...they`re always good to me, but I just didn`t have the time to make an appointment...

stiffdogg06
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Damn Todd that sucks to hear...

What Jiffy did you go to?

No mechanic ever touches my car except alignments lol

TSC17
03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Andy...East Broad close to Reynoldsburg New Albany Rd.

I don`t mind doing the major projects on it (like the 40 hour stereo install/tune and sound deadening project I did), but if I have make a trip to take the oil somewhere and dispose of it anyways, I might as well have them change it. Time is very limited with 2 jobs (one that requires extensive traveling) and a family...

RaskyR1
03-31-2009, 04:09 PM
I feel your pain Todd. After the dealer messed up my paint last time I went out and picked up a floor jack and stands. I have someone with an oil burning heater pick up my oil once my 5 gal pail is full. I only go to the dealer when I absolutely have to now.

A least they were willing to pay for it. ;)

WRXedUSA
03-31-2009, 04:42 PM
In all honesty, I stopped reading after you said you went to Jiffy Lube.

I like to apply the "expectations theory" if go to such places.

Sorry to hear that. Anytime I take my car to a dealer or to have something done, I always say "keep the free wash".

Labster
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
I had the dealership give me a complimentary wash over the winter when I took it in for one of my free oil changes they gave me when I purchased it and once again when I took it in because the switch for the read power window went out. I`m not liking what I`ve seen the last 2 times I`ve ran it through the touchless but I haven`t had the time to correct mine. Hate when people can`t see the problems with the paint, our we the only "sick" ones who are this OCD about our cars? I don`t get it myself. Way to make them foot the correction bill!

Chas
03-31-2009, 05:41 PM
I hate Jiffy Lube, I was stopped at a stop light across from one the other day and saw one of their "technicians" completely take out a curb with one of their customers when trying to park it. I will NEVER take my truck to Jiffy Lube.

Scottwax
03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
I hate it when customers start to set their checkbook on my hood to write out the check. Unbelievable you have to explain to people that you NEVER set anything on your paint. EVER.