PDA

View Full Version : Touching up a Scratch on my GP

Shake_Zula
03-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey guys I have a couple paint chips/ scratches on my rear bumper. I wet sanded them with 1500 to bring down the sides of the chips. I filled them in with thin layers than I wet sanded. I used a 7" polisher and meg`s ultimate to take out the wet sanding marks.

The surface is totally smooth, but the color barley matches. I used the factory paint code and ordered from duplicolor. The color is stealth Grey metallic, and its a couple shades off. Looks like I filled in a pot hole on my bumper. Anyone have any advice? Mabey I used to many layers? not enough?

Imatk
03-31-2009, 11:26 AM
It`s really tough to get metallics to match man.

I feel your pain :(

Did you use a clear coat topper?

If you didn`t that would definitely help.

The metallic touch ups I`ve done look good from one side (matches) and looks totally off from the other side (doesn`t match)

I believe it has to do with the way the flake lays, and how it is suspended in the paint. I suspect the only way to really get a good match with a metallic is to use a spray gun on the area, and even then you probably would need to blend it.

If you DO get it to work perfectly though I`m all ears :)

Shake_Zula
03-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Actually, I did not use a clear coat, but I have it and I am glad you reminded me.

I was thinking it might look better if I used a spray gun or even spray can.

I think I am going to sand down the scratch/chips then put in a couple layers of clear.

I am using the duplicolor 2in1 pen. I am actually just using a #2 artist brush, but anyone know where I can find the same color in a can? Its stealth grey metallic, had to order it online because I could not find it at auto zone/advance.

Flawless Image
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
any before and after pics?

Shake_Zula
03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
I took a couple pics before/after. They all came out super dark I am not sure why. This one is right by the left rear wheel well.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv310/Shake_Zula/SUNP0002-2.jpg

You can barley see it, but the paint looks somewhat rough/bumpy even though its smooth to the touch, but it obviously does not blend well.

I am going to get more pics up tomorrow morning.

imported_Jakerooni
03-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Metalics are almost impossible to match up using the paint code and going to get a bottle of touch up. You need to take the car into a paint shop have them measure the tint and get it right and make you up some touch up then. It`s really the only way to get metallics to come close to matchings. I used to have a burnt orange vibe GT at one point and that was almost impossible to match so I know the pain.... Good luck

Shake_Zula
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
yeah your right, I am using this as practice. Its just the rear bumper soo worse case scenario I will just get the rear bumper repainted.