PDA

View Full Version : Jeweling with the PC

imported_dragula
03-30-2009, 10:21 AM
What`s your favorite (general) pad, product, and process?

I`m currently using a 5.5` gold pad with MenzNano, starting at speed 5-6 with medium pressure, backing down to 4-3, light pressure, a water spritz, no pressure until all is gone. This takes about 4mins per 2x2 section.

dublifecrisis
03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I might be wrong but I`m not sure jeweling with a DA is really doing anything. I used to drop the speed toward the last couple passes and lighten the pressure, but with the PC, I think higher speed is needed the entire time at least with polishing. now a sealant or wax then obviously I can use speed 3 or whatever. I`ve just basically come to the conclusion that jeweling is a rotary thing.

Accumulator
03-30-2009, 11:38 AM
I might be wrong but I`m not sure jeweling with a DA is really doing anything...I`ve just basically come to the conclusion that jeweling is a rotary thing.

It could be that any improvements are just too subtle to be readily noticed. Once you get all the marring out, and a really nice gloss, any further improvements...well, they`re not gonna be earth-shaking. We`re talking about refining an "already perfect" finish.

I do my burnishing/jeweling with the Cyclo (and sometimes the PC) and it works fine for me. Gives me a very subtle, but noticeable, improvement on an already corrected finish.

I`ve heard there are paints where a rotary *is* mandatory, but I`ve never experienced that first-hand.

I do my burnishing/jeweling with a pad that has no functional cut (either a polishing or finishing) and a product that`s *barely* functionally abrasive on the paint in question. With the PC I usually use speed 4-4.5 but the fixed speed/aggressiveness of the Cyclo never seems to be a problem.

steelwind101
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I do my burnishing/jeweling with a pad that has no functional cut (either a polishing or finishing) and a product that`s *barely* functionally abrasive on the paint in question. With the PC I usually use speed 4-4.5 but the fixed speed/aggressiveness of the Cyclo never seems to be a problem.

RMG and a megs polishing pad for example?

SuperBee364
03-30-2009, 03:22 PM

RMG applied with a PC is just fantastic. But I don`t think it`s at all abrasive?

As for the actual jeweling process, though, I`m still using the rotary. Although the KBM might change that.

Bunky
03-30-2009, 03:40 PM
My limited experience with jeweling with a UDM and PO85RD is close to Accumulator`s comments. There seems to be negligible improvement. PO85RD seems to have a very long work time too. I was using the high speed, light pressure, slow arm action, and black pad recommendations. I even tried a blue pad. Maybe my Ford paint is just about as good as it will get with all the orange peel. The paint is clear but think I wanted to see if I could extract more gloss.

BTW, The menzerna rep told be 106fa is nothing more than PO85RD with more "powder" so it works faster.

PresdntialDtail
03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
BTW, The menzerna rep told be 106fa is nothing more than PO85RD with more "powder" so it works faster.

Thats interesting! Wonder if that statement comes derives from a backlash to M205?? :D

Envious Eric
03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
FPII on a finishing pad

Spilchy
03-30-2009, 06:14 PM
RMG applied with a PC is just fantastic. But I don`t think it`s at all abrasive?

Especially if you`re a `nuba guy like me. I`m not into doing one last jeweling step with a polish. Rather that`s where a glaze works for me which shows off a noticeable difference. RMG or DWG and also VM (which has nice chemical cleaning properties) come into play for me on every detail.

Jason M
03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I frequently finish or jewel the paint with a Meg`s black pad and Meg`s #9. A lot of people bag on #9 but I think they are expecting it to be something it`s not. I like at think of #9 as #7 but with a minimal amount of cut. The finish it leaves is very similar to #7.

Accumulator
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM

I must be the last guy on earth who`s never tried RMG!

Nah, I use whatever polish I think is close to nonabrasive or that at least finishes out that way (e.g., 1Z High Gloss or even the oh-so-mild Pro MP when used with a blue finishing pad on Audis). On soft paint like the Jag`s lacquer just a slightly aggressive use of Autoglym SRP (or even Pinnacle PCL) can do a bit of jeweling.

That reference to #9 sounds good too, depending on the paint in question. Glaze-like polishes (the PCL and VM) and AIOs (the SRP) and stuff like 1Z WPS can do a bit of jeweling along with their usual effects. IMO it gets to be a fine line separating one category from the other and I don`t really care which side of the line a product is on as long as it effects the desired improvement.

Jason M
03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
That`s why I like #9 for final polishing. It sits on the line between polish and glaze. Plus it is easier to work with than #7 on occasion.