PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Trucks

conrad.maranan
10-21-2005, 02:30 AM
http://www.detailcity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7770&stc=1

These trucks are my new worst enemy. I never used to pay much attention to them until I got a dose of the detailing bug. They can be rolling at 50MPH on the extreme right lane and I can be zipping by at 75MPH on the extreme left lane, and the gravel they carry still manages to shoot at my car pretty hard. And that`s on a 5-lane freeway! :censored:

There should be a law that prohibits gravel trucks from being on the road without some sort of lid.

cwcad
10-21-2005, 06:07 AM
You will be glad to know that the law that you are talking about will soon come to fruition.

I drive one of those trucks, along with belly dumps, side dumps, and ten wheelers with pups, for a construction company in Alaska. Federal law will soon require that all loads be tarped. I am not sure when it is supposed to actually be enacted but sometime in 2006. At least that is what my company is aiming for.

pogo123
10-21-2005, 06:24 AM
Covering the load helps alot but doesn`t solve the problem completely. Many of the smaller stones still fall out from tailgates that don`t seal completely and of course the tire treads throw stones picked up in the quarries where these trucks pick up their loads.

joe.p
10-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Covering the load helps alot but doesn`t solve the problem completely. Many of the smaller stones still fall out from tailgates that don`t seal completely and of course the tire treads throw stones picked up in the quarries where these trucks pick up their loads.

i was behind a truck a year ago when the truck ahead of me hit a bump on the ex-way causing the small stones/gravel that came from his tailgate to spray my entire hood and windsheild causing over $1,200.00 in damage.

if this ever happens to you try and get the driver to pull over, because it won`t be easy to get the company to pay out on the claim by merely getting the info from the side of the truck. i drive a truck in il and no matter what material is in the truck were made to cover the load with a tarp.

Dozerboy
10-24-2005, 09:28 PM
It helps a lot when the operator can get material in the trailer not on. Belly dumps you have to really watch they always lose sh*t. Ya, just have to give truck a lot of room its hard, but there is only so much the driver can do.