PDA

View Full Version : Responsibility versus pleasure re: cars

Pages : [1] 2

V_Eight
03-29-2009, 05:46 PM
I have the Element, but want something fun again. I have the okay from my girlfriend to do so, which helps things. There`s nothing wrong with my Element, but it`s just not pleasurable. I`m still in school and will be continuing to my Master and possibly Doctorate degrees.

At what point do I call it quits and bite the bullet on another project car? What will it take to initiate this foolish decision to spend money?

PedroDaGr8
03-29-2009, 06:04 PM
In my opinion now is the perfect time. As you get older you will start a family, maybe or maybe not with this girl, and have more responsibilities.

eyezack87
03-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Lower, VIP that ish? Would you consider doing that?

stiffdogg06
03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I have the Element, but want something fun again. I have the okay from my girlfriend to do so, which helps things. There`s nothing wrong with my Element, but it`s just not pleasurable. I`m still in school and will be continuing to my Master and possibly Doctorate degrees.

At what point do I call it quits and bite the bullet on another project car? What will it take to initiate this foolish decision to spend money?

Re-read what you wrote. You said "girlfriend" do whatever you want. If she doesn`t like it, uh well her loss. If she stays, she`s a keeper.

Don`t base your things you want over a girlfriend that you MAY or MAY NOT have a future with. If you had kids/married I could see why you`d ask but not now...

V_Eight
03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Re-read what you wrote. You said "girlfriend" do whatever you want. If she doesn`t like it, uh well her loss. If she stays, she`s a keeper.

Don`t base your things you want over a girlfriend that you MAY or MAY NOT have a future with. If you had kids/married I could see why you`d ask but not now...

She`ll be around regardless. It`s just good to know I have her support with whatever I decide. She says now is the time before we get married and start pumping out kids. The angel on my shoulder says to keep the Element and just try to get out of cars for now.

Lower, VIP that ish? Would you consider doing that?

I thought about it, but it`s a snowball effect with me. The next real "modding" I do will be to build a car from a shell.

In my opinion now is the perfect time. As you get older you will start a family, maybe or maybe not with this girl, and have more responsibilities.

I agree. She also welcomed the idea of keeping the car for years to come and not allow the kids near it.

Another thing: What car guy drives an Element? It just doesn`t make sense.

optimusp517
03-29-2009, 07:37 PM
*** 15th car already? how much money have you spent on cars? Why not settle with something YOU WANT and save the rest of your money so that this doesn`t come up again for your 17th car :P? Sorry had to put in my 2 cents :P

Lumadar
03-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Another thing: What car guy drives an Element? It just doesn`t make sense.

Heh, you beat me to it...that`s what I was going to write.

The Element is about as far from a "car guy`s" vehicle as you can possibly get.

What type of stuff are you considering? New, used?

Dunncsu
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Well i am in your shoes but a few years later.

I graduated college and debated getting a fun car. I finally broke down and bought myself a 06 GTO. Over the next year i modded it a bit. fast forward 2 more years and i am married and in one short week my first daughter will be born.

If i had not bought the car when i did i would be stuck in a econo crap box.

I say get the car now. Before you are forced to grow up :D

V_Eight
03-30-2009, 04:06 AM
*** 15th car already? how much money have you spent on cars? Why not settle with something YOU WANT and save the rest of your money so that this doesn`t come up again for your 17th car :P? Sorry had to put in my 2 cents :P

I`ve probably spent $50-70,000 that will never be seen again. :sadpace:

Heh, you beat me to it...that`s what I was going to write.

The Element is about as far from a "car guy`s" vehicle as you can possibly get.

What type of stuff are you considering? New, used?

Two considerations really: AP2 S2000 or build my seventh Mustang from scratch: stitch-welded shell, shaved engine bay, handmade wiring harness, etc.

Well i am in your shoes but a few years later.

I graduated college and debated getting a fun car. I finally broke down and bought myself a 06 GTO. Over the next year i modded it a bit. fast forward 2 more years and i am married and in one short week my first daughter will be born.

If i had not bought the car when i did i would be stuck in a econo crap box.

I say get the car now. Before you are forced to grow up :D

This is the part that I think will happen if I don`t intervene.

imported_weekendwarrior
03-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Well, I have an `06 Element, 4wd that I use for detailing. It is great for hauling all my stuff to jobs.

Mine just came off warranty. I am considering doing a turbo build on it now. I am going to leave the stock tires and wheels on it to maintain the sleeper look. I am going to do a few minor suspension mods to tighten it up a bit, to accomodate for the new power. It is rare to see a turbo Element, so I think it would be pretty cool.

V_Eight
03-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Well, I have an `06 Element, 4wd that I use for detailing. It is great for hauling all my stuff to jobs.

Mine just came off warranty. I am considering doing a turbo build on it now. I am going to leave the stock tires and wheels on it to maintain the sleeper look. I am going to do a few minor suspension mods to tighten it up a bit, to accomodate for the new power. It is rare to see a turbo Element, so I think it would be pretty cool.

I would want a full audio setup and 20s if I kept the box. :-)

Edit: At which point it would snowball into repainting it (which I can do for $800 with duPont paint, any color, OEM quality) and going nuts generally. They make a gorgeous side-mount manifold for the K-series and i`ve seen fitment pictures on the Element.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cheapturbo_2038_32177999

1BADTUNDRA
03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I would want a full audio setup and 20s if I kept the box. :-)

Edit: At which point it would snowball into repainting it (which I can do for $800 with duPont paint, any color, OEM quality) and going nuts generally. They make a gorgeous side-mount manifold for the K-series and i`ve seen fitment pictures on the Element.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cheapturbo_2038_32177999

Now you are talking :)...

yamichi
03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Get something rare- the build-it-yourself Mustang can be cool but in the end it`s still a Mustang.

I just bought my silly car last year and I basically knew I wanted something with at least 300 hp (or close), a manual, an rear- or all-wheel-drive. So I drove a mustang GT (lolz at that), a 350z, a used C6 Corvette, and the Supra. I went with the Supra because anybody with 30 grand can get those other cars. A Supra is a rare car so it has more of a draw for me. It still boils down to what you actually WANT though. If you`re a "car guy" you need something fast and fun, somewhat cool, and something that lets you showcase what you`re good at and enjoy.

Just please don`t turbo that element... that is just weird...

Accumulator
03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
OTG Vinyl- IMO if you can truly spare the time/attention/money, then go ahead and do whatever you want to whatever you like.

I myself would wait until you`re out of school if only because I had to put my project car stuff (and even my meticulous detailing) on hold to be serious about my education. Since then I`ve also put such stuff on the back burner when I needed to get serious about my dogs and some other things. Gotta prioritize and you can only do so much before some area of endeavour suffers.

I dunno about the "what car guy drives an Element?" thing...I`ve made good use of a few non-enthusiast vehicles and I still enjoy my MPV (and anybody who sees it *knows* I`m a serious car guy by its condition). IMO being a "real car guy" is a matter of mindset, not just a matter of what you`re driving at the moment.

But I don`t think I`d modify the Element...strikes me as trying to turn it into something it`s not. Might be a good way to wreck its utility too (e.g., 20s sound good until you bend a rim on your daily driver).

V_Eight
03-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Get something rare- the build-it-yourself Mustang can be cool but in the end it`s still a Mustang.

I just bought my silly car last year and I basically knew I wanted something with at least 300 hp (or close), a manual, an rear- or all-wheel-drive. So I drove a mustang GT (lolz at that), a 350z, a used C6 Corvette, and the Supra. I went with the Supra because anybody with 30 grand can get those other cars. A Supra is a rare car so it has more of a draw for me. It still boils down to what you actually WANT though. If you`re a "car guy" you need something fast and fun, somewhat cool, and something that lets you showcase what you`re good at and enjoy.

Just please don`t turbo that element... that is just weird...

My past Mustangs have all been those that make people that don`t like Mustangs say "I don`t like Mustangs, but, great job."

Here`s my last Mustang: (I`ve posted it a few times on Autopia--it`s my "pride and joy" still)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/andrewfrom1985/Orange%20GT/2007nopinationals035.jpg

OTG Vinyl- IMO if you can truly spare the time/attention/money, then go ahead and do whatever you want to whatever you like.

I myself would wait until you`re out of school if only because I had to put my project car stuff (and even my meticulous detailing) on hold to be serious about my education. Since then I`ve also put such stuff on the back burner when I needed to get serious about my dogs and some other things. Gotta prioritize and you can only do so much before some area of endeavour suffers.

I dunno about the "what car guy drives an Element?" thing...I`ve made good use of a few non-enthusiast vehicles and I still enjoy my MPV (and anybody who sees it *knows* I`m a serious car guy by its condition). IMO being a "real car guy" is a matter of mindset, not just a matter of what you`re driving at the moment.

But I don`t think I`d modify the Element...strikes me as trying to turn it into something it`s not. Might be a good way to wreck its utility too (e.g., 20s sound good until you bend a rim on your daily driver).

I drive far too much to keep my car detailed like I used to keep my cars detailed. My girlfriend living 150 miles away is the main cause of this. However, she`ll be moving back to Michigan in a month and I won`t be driving so much. I have 29k on my car and I bought it new in April 2008.

Elements can look pretty cool IMO, and I agree with your "waiting" points. Starting June 4 i`ll be going to school M-F, running my business every evening (S-S), and working at a marina on weekends. It will be a VERY busy schedule, but I like that sort of thing. This schedule will last 5 semesters or about 18 months until I earn my BS.