PDA

View Full Version : An Airbrush Guide???

Polished&Waxed
03-29-2009, 12:41 PM
I would like the run down on getting everything to airbrush. From high end to the cheap stuff. Why or why not on the products you have used.

I have painted in the past so I think I can airbrush, though I know nothing about it.

What to charge? What paint kits?

thanks for the info!

Is this a similar up-sell like headlight resto, quick and good money?

yamichi
04-02-2009, 11:47 AM
What are you thinking as far as airbrushing?

There are a LOT of guides online and several airbrushing communities (http://tinyurl.com/clyx4r).

Airbrushing will be much more of a niche market than headlight restoration and the like. Anybody with foggy lights will want them clean once they see the difference. Airbrushing is pretty easy to get into but there is a very limited market for it. And if you`re going to do it right, it`s not a quick win as most airbrush enamels won`t stick will to a glossy clearcoat so you`ll be dealing with either:

A- a lot of priming and taping and whatnot with time for curing and multiple coats

or

B- a half-assed job that will come off the next time somebody hits it with a DA/Rotary.

I do a lot of airbrushing but I do it on computer cases and the like. A nice double-action airbrush with a decent compressor can be had for under $200 but those won`t do it for large surfaces.

Polished&Waxed
04-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I talking about touch up for paint chips/ door edges and the like. Not on top of clearcoat.

Anthony O.
04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I talking about touch up for paint chips/ door edges and the like. Not on top of clearcoat.

Even in touch ups you`re going to be painting on top of the clear. So it must be sanded so it has something to bite into and some possible fill work if you want it done properly.

If you`re just going to do touch up then use a paint brush.

Anthony

yamichi
04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
What has worked best for me on rock chips is actually from the farm store. I bought a syringe from them and I cut the paint 50/50 with thinner and inject it into the chip after cleaning it thoroughly. It cost me 68 cents.

I`ll be posting a writeup with pictures here on this forum soon. I counted about 20 rock chips in my supra`s front end so I`ll have plenty to show. But basically, inject the paint in, let it set, do a little wet sanding or heavy cutting with a polisher and repeat until the chip is totally leveled. Takes a little time but it`s a lot easier and a LOT cheaper than an airbrush. That and you don`t get overspray.

Polished&Waxed
04-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Even in touch ups you`re going to be painting on top of the clear. So it must be sanded so it has something to bite into and some possible fill work if you want it done properly.

If you`re just going to do touch up then use a paint brush.

Anthony

Are you talking about using a mini HVLP or a an airbrush like below?

I was just thinking you put the color in the chip with the airbrush and its easier than using a brush. I was think it would have a nice fine spray so that you could like "pencil in the chip" so to speak. Am I way off?

http://site.makeupbylibby.com/images/airbrush_gun_for_nails_art_68bt.jpg

Anthony O.
04-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Many airbrushes can spray a hairline line BUT for the best looking finish you`ll want to build up the touch up area or use a filler so as to make the chip level as possible with the surrounding paint work.

So you can airbrush the ships but the finish will not be smooth. You may need a base coat, clear and then blender for a proper look.

Anthony

Polished&Waxed
04-04-2009, 09:49 AM
what kind of filler and how do you contain the area to not make a bigger mess so to speak.

Also a heat lamp will allow quicker flashing for quicker coats.

Polished&Waxed
05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
bump... looking for more info

imported_paintxpert
11-04-2009, 08:11 PM
My friend has been air brushing bumpers at dealerships for over ten years. The EPA has sent him a letter that if he continues to airbrush @ dealerships he will be fined. So much for airbrushing...perhaps for yourself it would be ok. I do like the dropper idea...let me know if it works. Lots of rocks flying on I-95 here.

mikeross
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
While I was buying my ford ranger parts (http://www.car-stuff.com/fordrangerparts.htm) I saw some airbrush kits that are being sold. I am also looking for an airbrush guide cuz i want to customize my truck really soon.

rcrobbins
11-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Air brushing to me is making art. Thus, it is not for everyone. If you`ve done full brush paintings or have a history with drawing and want to take on air brushing, then this craft is for you. If you`ve seen air brush work on bikes and cars and think, "that looks great and doesn`t look too hard" this is not for you. My suggestion is by an entry level double action brush and give it a shot, if you get the hang of it and fall in love, by an Iwata. Craig Fraiser and Mike Lavallee make great videos. HOK and other paint companies have pre-mixed air brush paint color kits you can order. As for filling chips, air brushing is not your best bet on hoods or highly visible panels. For those, I usually wet sand the chip and small surrounding area with 1000 grit, reduce and activate the paint and apply it into the core of the chip with a fine camel hair brush. Let it flash for ~30min. then activate clear and build/fill the chip and spread thin over the previously wet sanded area. I let it fully setup for 16 hours then level the excess clear with 2000 grit to the point of feathering into the clear surrounding the chip and finish with 3000 then compound/polish. To get this 100% right is difficult and if everyone could do it, they would. Have fun and adapt a process that fits you if this is what you really want to learn :)