PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning foam machine polishing pads

Pages : [1] 2

JSFM35X
03-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I have a 2 part question:

1. Do you clean you plad after you use them if they apear cleanish?

2. How do you clean your pads so as to get them clean with the least amount of damage?

thanks,

Jeff

Dsoto87
03-29-2009, 09:11 AM
I spray them down with microfiber detergent mixed in a spray bottle. Let them soak while im finishing off the car. When Im finished I spray a little more, rub it in with my finger and agitate with a brush. I than soak them in water and rinse them out. Let them dry and theyre as good as new

stiffdogg06
03-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a 2 part question:

1. Do you clean you plad after you use them if they apear cleanish?

2. How do you clean your pads so as to get them clean with the least amount of damage?

thanks,

Jeff

1. If the pad was used on the vehicle it will be thoroughly cleaned because product could dry inside the pores and possibly cause scratches in the paint next time... So why take the chance.

2. I usually just take some dawn soap, dump a little on, push it in with my fingers for a little, and then wash it out with warm water.

Accumulator
03-29-2009, 09:32 AM
I kinda like the Dawn Power Dissolver better than regular Dawn, but that`s how I clean `em too.

While I try to get all the abrasive polish out of a used pad, I don`t worry about LSPs quite as much; a little LSP residue/staining never seems to hurt anything.

Dsoto87
03-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Accumulator, I too use dawn power dissolve but only on hand applicators.

Im worried a strong detergent like power dissolver or even regular dawn might wear away at the adhesive between the velcro and pad. Have you ever experienced anything like that using dawn?

imported_tim
03-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Im worried a strong detergent like power dissolver or even regular dawn might wear away at the adhesive between the velcro and pad. Have you ever experienced anything like that using dawn?

Valid question.

I used to use Go-Jo handcleaner at work to clean the dirt

off of my sneakers.

Til the one day I noticed it eating away at the adhesive the

shoe was put together with.:eek:

salty
03-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I usually throw them in the washer with some laundry detergent and added degreaser or APC. One pad did lose it`s Velcro, a little Goop and it is still holding.

Accumulator
03-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Accumulator, I too use dawn power dissolve but only on hand applicators.

No, never had any problems like that. But I seem to be kinda lucky with regard to velcro failures, the velcro backing hardly *ever* messes up on me. Maybe three pads total and I`ve gone through a whole lotta velcro-backed pads over the last 20-some years. Just not an issue *IME* but that doesn`t mean yours won`t immediately fail as soon as you try it if you get my drift ;)

BigAl3
03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
dawn power dissolver works great (no need to soak them in a bucket which is nice) and i haven`t had any problems thus far...

spray each pad

let sit for 10-15 minutes

massage thoroughly under running water

squeeze and shake out as much water as possible

lay on grit guard to dry

:up

02zx9r
03-29-2009, 06:40 PM
i use the pinnacle polishing pad cleaner that came with a kit I bought, works pretty well. But I have used the power disolver as well and do like it, pretty much do it the way al mentioned in his process

Rickrack
03-30-2009, 05:35 AM
I clean my pads before every job and several times thoughout a detail, whether they appear dirty or not.

I wash them right in my sink. Soak the pad in hot water, spray an all purpose cleaner directly on the pad, massage it in with your hands to break down the polishing residue build up, rinse it thoroughly with hot water, ring it out, then spin it dry on the rotary.

Junebug
03-30-2009, 05:43 AM
I like Dawn Power Dissolver too, I use an old tooth brush to clean the pad after spraying - rinse with hot water and let air dry.

Flashtime
03-30-2009, 08:51 AM
I don`t have hot water at the shop unless the hose has been sitting in the sun.

Then i get a few seconds of it. :)

I clean my pads quite often as well. Never tried the Power Dissolver, but i keep

a spray bottle with Dawn with Power Scurbbers (diluted 20:1). I spray the pads

generously, work it in to break it down, hose off and spin dry. Quick!

Accumulator
03-30-2009, 12:38 PM
..i keep a spray bottle with Dawn with Power Scurbbers (diluted 20:1)...

What`re those "power scrubbers"? They sound scary, like something potentially abrasive that might *conceivably* cause damage. You know, like the idea that powdered detergent might leave gritty undissolved detergent in towels.

No no, I don`t believe that about the detergent and I`m not saying it about those power scrubbers...I`m just asking since they *do* make me knee-jerk to that line of thought :think:

Yikes, no hot water in the shop would be a hassle!

imported_Ivan Rajic
03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I clean all my pads after each detail... I have a bottle of Meg`s APC+ at 15:1... I spray the pads (about 4-5 sprays each), let them sit so the APC penetrates the foam a bit, and then simply rinse... 99% of the time the pads will rinse completely clean with just the light running water from the faucet, but I agitate them by hand a bit anyway... repeat spraying APC if a lot of product is stuck onto the pad, but it shouldn`t be if you`re doing the polishing correctly and using the right amount of polish...

After washing, I squeeze, swing them around, etc. to get some water out, then it`s onto the rotary for drying... they sit for a day and are 100% dry... I`ve had pads last years this way