PDA

View Full Version : Maximum durability without regards to shine?

RDW1299
03-28-2009, 11:58 PM
What sealer or wax product would you recommend to give maximum protection to a car during the winter months without regards to shine? Winters in Northeast Ohio and tons of road salt can be rough on a car`s paint. I`m looking for a product that will have maximum durability and I don`t care about how well it shines. If the car looks dull all winter that`s fine with me. I also don`t care about how easy the product is to apply, whether it leaves swirls or not, how much it costs, or any of the other factors that normally go into choosing a product. Protection that lasts a long time is all that matters to me during the winter. What product(s) would you suggest for this purpose? Thank you.

Setec Astronomy
03-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Collinite 476S is the usual answer for this. Zaino also seems to hold up quite well.

BIOLINK
03-29-2009, 06:25 AM
I`ve also heard good things about Collinte 845 lasting through winters. It is very easy to apply and leaves a good shine. Best of both worlds.

Setec Astronomy
03-29-2009, 06:29 AM
I`ve also heard good things about Collinte 845 lasting through winters. It is very easy to apply and leaves a good shine. Best of both worlds.

I find 845 doesn`t hold up quite as well as 476, but it is more fun to apply and looks a little better. Meg`s #16 is also a good choice if you can get it. Another popular combo was several layers of Klasse SG topped by a hard carnauba like 476 or 16.

wfedwar
03-29-2009, 07:31 AM
One of the Collinites. FK1000P might also be a good option. I hear it`s sortof simliar to Collinite, but haven`t used it myself. Long-lasting sealants like Zaino and Klasse don`t seem to offer the same protection IME, than a seemingly thicker coating of durable wax. My truck gets hit with hard water sprinkler spray every day in the hot summer sun and Collinite does the best at preventing water etching (Zaino was the worst).

Cleaning Fool
03-29-2009, 08:41 AM
What Setec said

imported_Larry A
03-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Duragloss #105, and you still get the gloss.

BIOLINK
03-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I find 845 doesn`t hold up quite as well as 476, but it is more fun to apply and looks a little better. Meg`s #16 is also a good choice if you can get it. Another popular combo was several layers of Klasse SG topped by a hard carnauba like 476 or 16.

Haven`t tried 476. I should. I fell in love with the ease of use of 845. :drool:

SilverSeven
03-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Collinite and M16 would be my choices.... :)

wfedwar
03-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Actually DG 501 (marine version of 105) is the only product I`ve seen that specifically advertises that it protects from salt water.

imported_Blake
03-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Really hard to beat Collinite especially when you consider the bang for your buck. Zaino certainly holds up well but is a bit more expensive.

I like to spend my dollars on the products that produce the best appearance and in the winter worry about durability.

Accumulator
03-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Collinite or (layered) FK1000P or (layered) KSG.

The Collinite 476S is simply *durable* under all conditions IME, but the 845 can be funny...sometimes it just doesn`t last very long but in other cases it`s very impressive :nixweiss

I`ve only been using FK1000P on wheels but it seems to hold up very well. Oddly, it`s lasting better on the plastic centercaps than on the painted meatl parts of the wheels :confused:

The KSG has to be layered to last. Four layers is OK, but six will last pretty much infefinitely IME. I can`t imagine anybody not wanting to repolish before it needs redone. I`m not talking about just six or eight months either ;)

I use #16 on Accumulatorette`s A8 year-round, and while it`s pretty durable, it`s not in the same league as the others I mentioned and it needs redone at least once before spring rolls around.

corrswitch
03-29-2009, 12:30 PM
I used 476s on 3 cars in this past canadian winter at the end of Oct of 2008 and they lasted. On one, it lasted till now at I got 5 months.

On the other two, I did get to check on one of them yet and the other got into an accident.

So Collinite is durable.