PDA

View Full Version : Why are we focused on water based dressings?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Detailing Technology
03-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I have been using water based tire dressings since joining Autopia. Previously, I used Car Brite Blue Magic. Blue Magic used to last through rain, snow, and it would shine for weeks in good weather.

Z16 has my favorite appearance. I barely use my Jeep and a double application wore off after a recent rain. (car was parked since washed).

Silk Shine is good for plastic trim also wears off very rapidly.

VRP, just as good as Silk SHine to me when applied the same way.

Optimum Tire Gel looks interesting, but will it address my concerns?

Any suggestions or product input?

pingable
03-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I LOVE Z16...and if if was ordered in a gallon jug, at a slightly better pricepoint, I would put buy it.

I`ve tried HyperDressing since it`s more economical but I just don`t like the sheen it gives off, even when I cut it with more water.

I`ve read somewhere that TropicCare is like Z16 but last considerably longer...and this is something I may try.

It`s the old water vs. solvent dressing debate.

FWIW, I tried UTTGP and like the look of it alot. Has a slight shine over Z16....and it`s a DD. It`s been a week since application and with the recent rain over the last 2 days (local NYC`er) as well, we`ll see how she holds up She`s the grimey right now for me to tell if it`s still there.

AeroCleanse
03-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Try Meguiars All Season Dressing (on the outside)

03-28-2009, 03:46 PM
All season, never heard of it. ADS has a sample size, Ill grab it.

The Car Brite Blue Magic dressing used to sling.

Dsoto87
03-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Besides the normal reasons that people give about solvents being bad or whatever I prefer water based ones for other reasons.

Solvent based ones just eat right through the applicator.

I have to wear gloves with solvent based ones because I can never get it off if I get any on my hand

I`ve had problems with sling even after a wipe down

Solvent based ones seem to attract more grime. Yes it will last after a rain but the tires will be filthy.

Right now I used optibond cut 1:1 with water and love it on tires and trim. It lasts long enough for me and the look really never goes away until it gets drenched.

I used to like bold and bright but I noticed after it dried, the nice sheen sort of went away. It was really black but I like a little gloss.

Anyways that`s my reasons besides the "its harmful to rubber" debate. I`m more than happy with optibond and see no need to try any more

pingable
03-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I don`t recall seeing a thread or maybe there has been on on --

dressings on low profile tires vs. tires with higher sidewalls and the durability factor of the same product - just on different tire profiles

anyone ever see a thread like this ?

03-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I used to have a glove and a cheap sponge to apply the solvent based dressing. (1 12"x12" cut up into 2" squares) I kept it in a clear ketchup container.

It did sling, but it last and last.

How is Optibond?

stiffdogg06
03-28-2009, 04:25 PM
I use Z16 and ONLY Z16 as my tire dressing. Love the look and doesn`t sling at all. Plus I can get it locally.

I do like 303 Aerospace also.

I use a 1-2" foam staining brush to apply my dressings.

Pats300zx
03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
All Season Dressing is my fav tire dressing. I have used everything out there and always find myself going back to ASD.

David Fermani
03-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I used Car Brite Blue Magic. Blue Magic used to last through rain, snow, and it would shine for weeks in good weather.

Probably when you were at the Caddy dealer right?

The Car Brite Blue Magic dressing used to sling.

Typical of most of CB`s dressings. Especially their Valvoline stuff.

Z-16 & Optimum Tire Shine are my favorites.

Bigpoppa3346
03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Besides the normal reasons that people give about solvents being bad or whatever I prefer water based ones for other reasons.

Solvent based ones just eat right through the applicator.

I have to wear gloves with solvent based ones because I can never get it off if I get any on my hand

I`ve had problems with sling even after a wipe down

Solvent based ones seem to attract more grime. Yes it will last after a rain but the tires will be filthy.

+1

Solvent based dressings on tires are gross, IMO. I don`t want the greasy shine, sling, dirt attraction, and difficulty removing during subsequent cleanings.

Water based dressings provide a clean look, don`t sling when used properly, and will clean off easily. I don`t need bling bling looking tires after a rain while the rest of the car looks filthy. I use Armor All Original on tires, and Hi-Temp`s Tire Cleaner to clean at every wash.

On trim, I do use solvent based dressings a lot of the time, for the most part those products work very well there (after a thorough trim cleaning, of course).

David Fermani
03-28-2009, 04:56 PM
+1

On trim, I do use solvent based dressings a lot of the time, for the most part those products work very well there (after a thorough trim cleaning, of course).

The bad thing about using solvent based dressings on trim is that they run down the side of your vehicle after a rain (unless it`s on the lower cladding).

wfedwar
03-28-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.werkstat.com/prodimages/detailsp.jpg

WERKSTAT Detailing: Satin Prot (http://www.werkstat.com/satin-prot.php)

Seriously underrecognized in my opinion. I like it better than Z16. Lasts longer and even less likely to sling. Matte to satin look.

Setec Astronomy
03-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I don`t recall seeing a thread or maybe there has been on on --

dressings on low profile tires vs. tires with higher sidewalls and the durability factor of the same product - just on different tire profiles

anyone ever see a thread like this ?

Yes, there was a thread about this when the Ultima tire dressing came out, how it didn`t last on one or the other and then they reformulated...I don`t know if the thread is still out there.

Dsoto87
03-28-2009, 05:03 PM
I used to have a glove and a cheap sponge to apply the solvent based dressing. (1 12"x12" cut up into 2" squares) I kept it in a clear ketchup container.

It did sling, but it last and last.

How is Optibond?

Yea I had a spare sponge and kept a nitrile glove around. It was just too much of a hassle. I just couldnt stand the sling and grime of it.

How is optibond? Well what exactly are you looking for in a dressing?

Will it last through a rain? It won`t shine but it will be noticeably darker.

Will it last in dry weather? It will last but I`m not to sure how long exactly since I reapply every wash. The longest I`ve gone is a little over 2 weeks and it shined the whole time. Bold and bright loses its sheen withing a day leaving it just really black.

Does it sling? Absolutely not. I have it mixed in a spritzer bottle. I spritz the pad a few times and spritz the tired a few times and spread it around. It dries extremely quick and doesn`t attract dirt

Shine? I have mine diluted 1:1. It just enough sheen for me. From 10 feet you can see the shine any further it looks really black. This is how I like it. I don`t like my tired to look like a drove through an oil slick. Oh yea, it goes on very even. Absolutely no uneveness ever. I`ve never applied it just straight so I`m assuming you can make it even more glossy if that`s what you like, or even more matte if you please.

Like I said optibond fits my exact criteria in a tire dressing. I like buying and trying lsps, mfs, qds, etc etc. But a dressing is the only thing I`m not looking for. Optibond is exactly what I need