PDA

View Full Version : Can regular wax/sealant usage fully protect paint?

bcwang
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I`ve come across posts by members here who I assume regularly protect their cars with a good LSP, but still have suffered paint fading and/or clearcoat failure.

So I`m wondering, especially looking for input from those who have meticulously cared for cars for many many years......

Do you expect a well painted and clearcoated horizontally positioned panel, that sat in the california sun fully exposed 24x7 to elements, given weekly safe washes, and a good LSP applied monthly..........to be able to have no fading or clearcoat degradation whatsoever after 10, 20, 30+ years?

I guess I`m wondering if the LSP`s we apply can fully protect the paint, or if it only slows down the degradation process. So if the LSP is still there, is it taking all the damage, or is some of the UV and environmental stuff still affecting the paint underneath. It also looks like some LSPs do explicitly state UV protectants are in them, while others don`t and let the clearcoat protect the basecoat. Of course in this situation I`d expect the clear would take damage and after a certain point...fail.

Setec Astronomy
03-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Being out in the elements is pretty unforgiving in general. You mention only sun/UV, but there is bird poop, sap, acid rain (perhaps not in your area), industrial fallout. If you`re waxing once a month that`s certainly going to help a lot vs. doing it less. I think BigJimZ28 has said he has an early `80`s that has been outside its whole life, so I`m sure he will chime in.

willtothewong
03-26-2009, 03:26 PM
that`s a good question

my car also sits in the california sun for most of the time, and it doesnt help that its black

but of note, the other day someone asked what year my car was and i said it was an 06.....she said the car looked newer cuz of the monthly wax jobs i did.

as for 10+ years, i have no idea, but i do know i will keep waxing my *** off

=D

kopimon
03-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Would applying a sealant more often than usual do more to protect the paint than monthly waxing?

Accumulator
03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Would applying a sealant more often than usual do more to protect the paint than monthly waxing?

It`d depend on the wax and/or sealant; I don`t think you can really generalize that much.

I parked the single-stage Volvo outside 24/7 and it was pretty easy to tell what was/wasn`t protecting as the paint would oxidize pretty fast when it was *not* protected.

The parts I used Collinite wax on held up better than the parts I used some sealants on.

On that car, the big thing seemed to be redoing it *before* it started to visibly oxidize. I`d use a very gentle polish or paint cleaner and rewax.

With more modern cars, I bet (but don`t know for sure) that the clearcoat provides more UV protection than any LSP...so don`t overpolish it because as I understand it the cc`s UV protective properties depend on its being nice and thick.

FWIW, I drive past always-outside cars that are kept in nice shape (well, they look nice enough from the street and they`re definitely kept well-LSPed). These cars sit out for years and still look nice. But IMO if you want to have great original paint after a few decades you`d better keep it inside...there`s just too much [stuff] that can happen.

longdx
03-27-2009, 03:37 PM
@accumulator:

Ditto the same on SS paints. I have a bright red SS commuter car and can easily tell when I need a polish to remove oxidation and the renew the LSP.

The problem with CC failure is it tend to start from the "bottom" of the paint. Some car companies have better paint practices than others. (i.e Mercedes cermaclear for example) Honda is notorious for early onset CC failure on certain colors. So there are many factors that can lead to paint failure. Proper protection will stem the tide, but exposure to UV, changes in temperatures, road salt, industrial pollutants, bird poop etchings, et al will lead to detoriation. The best defense is to to a proper detail and have an LSP maintenance schedule so there are no lapses in coverage.