PDA

View Full Version : Masking Tape

Less
03-25-2009, 06:44 AM
How many use masking tape when you polish?

I`ve seen alot of C&B`s with people taping up every seam on the car, but doesn`t that also cover a small amount of paint?

Do you spot-polish after you remove the tape? Or is it just such a small area that no one will ever notice that it wasn`t polished?

BobD
03-25-2009, 06:57 AM
I rarely tape any more. Products have come such a far was you don`t need to worry about staining as much. Sometimes I`ll tape when using a high speed in areas I think I might possibly burn the trim.

imported_Jakerooni
03-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Yea I think I taped pretty frequently my first couple of years. it`s a great training tool to better understand how your machine will work by edges. But once you got it down there`s not really a huge advantage to it anymore. I very rarely break out the tape even when wetsanding anymore.

imported_shine
03-25-2009, 07:52 AM
I tape up when using a rotary near trim that borders paint. It can be easy to bump the trim when trying to equally polish all of the paint 100% equally.

imported_billzabub
03-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Ditto. I still tape, but it is pretty much just for protection of vulnerable trim pieces. ...my little "$4 rolls of insurance." lol

Less
03-25-2009, 09:05 AM
I do the same thing as Shine and billzabub. I only tape off trim, lights, sunroof glass, etc. It`s to keep the polish from staining those pieces.

But sometimes I`ve seen people tape up all of the body seams, and painted trim (like along the side of the doors on some cars).

I`m assuming its to keep polish dust out of those areas. But arent` you sacrificing uniform polishing to the entire panel?

I`ve also heard it said that some cars have thinner paint near the edges of the panels. Is that true?

BobD
03-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I do the same thing as Shine and billzabub. I only tape off trim, lights, sunroof glass, etc. It`s to keep the polish from staining those pieces.

But sometimes I`ve seen people tape up all of the body seams, and painted trim (like along the side of the doors on some cars).

I`m assuming its to keep polish dust out of those areas. But arent` you sacrificing uniform polishing to the entire panel?

I`ve also heard it said that some cars have thinner paint near the edges of the panels. Is that true?

It`s usually so they don`t machine polish the edges where paint is thinner.

dibbs26
04-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I`ll be purchasing a Megs G220 shortly and was also curious about the the masking tape in relation to where/where not to put it etc.

Any help for a newbie machine user in relation to the above appreciated.......;)

ALAN81
04-02-2009, 12:43 PM
I use blue painters tape less stick and does the job

BobD
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I`ll be purchasing a Megs G220 shortly and was also curious about the the masking tape in relation to where/where not to put it etc.

Any help for a newbie machine user in relation to the above appreciated.......;)

You won`t have to worry about burning anything with that machine.

dibbs26
04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
You won`t have to worry about burning anything with that machine.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Danase how about polish residue between the panels?, I thought the tape would have been placed there for this reason..........

Boston Man
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Whats the difference between the 3M`s blue tape and 3m`s Green tape?

imported_Ivan Rajic
04-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Just tape it off because even if you don`t burn it, you can in fact easily stain it, and worse get some residue under the trim with which you`ll have fun later... it`s true once you get more experience, especially on certain cars, you don`t tape as much, but I think it`s still very important in order to get everything polished... even if the product I`m using won`t stain trim, which it usually will, there`s no way I`ll feel comfortable with the pad butting up against an antenna, BMW grilles, etc. etc.