PDA

View Full Version : Serious leather issue

Pages : [1] 2

gchristopher9
03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
So I discovered some mystery substance on one of my seats. My only guess is that it is a fruit smoothie that one of my coworkers bought at lunch. It sat on the leather for close to 4 hours before i left to go home and discovered it. keep in my i have no way of being positive that that is what it was, that is only my best guess. anyhow as soon as i saw it i stopped on the side of the road to clean it up, and to my horror, this is the best it will get. it looks like whatever this was actually ate the finish of my leather, leaving it dull and very soft. any help on diagnosis or repair ideas are welcomed. THANKS!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/Killabee09/IMG_0551.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/Killabee09/IMG_0555.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/Killabee09/IMG_0561.jpg

Twista616
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
hmmm...a fruit smoothie did that?? It looks like i see a hard edge in the pictures...is there a hard edge you can feel? You might have to do a leather repair, by sanding it and respraying the leather. I`ve never done this, but i think member: AppliedColors has done something like this.

Others will chime in here...

gchristopher9
03-23-2009, 01:45 PM
the color sort of resembled the smoothie my friend was drinking. i was the only one who had been in the car in the previous 5 days. It was not there before that day, and i had not been transporting anything in that time. yes there is sort of a ridge. you can feel it because it goes from the smooth texture of the seat, to the sort of soft texture of the stained? area. not really sure what to call it.

tom p.
03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
That must have been some smoothie! What was in it? Looks like it ate thru the coating on the leather :(

gchristopher9
03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
i dont even know to be honest. he is actually sort of higher up in management and i feel funny bringing it up to him. bottom line is whats done is done, doesn`t matter what caused it really. what is more important now is if there anything i can do to fix it, or at least make it look a little better.

gchristopher9
03-23-2009, 02:04 PM
my only thought was maybe some kind of acid from the fruit? it was also fairly warm inside the car, as it was in direct sunlight. granted it was early march in boston so the temp wasn`t any higher than maybe 40-45

BigJimZ28
03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
what did you use to clean it?

maybe it`s just my old eyes but it looks like it`s just some smoothie sitting ON the leather

try some Woolite & water

(10:1)

gchristopher9
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
i cleaned with armor all citrus wipes, and then later that night when i got home i cleaned with warm water. i am confident that i got all the smoothie off. the dye from the leather was starting to come off on the cloth so i gave up.

akimel
03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
I hate to think what that fruit smoothie does to one`s stomach! :eek:

AcuraYYZ
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
i dont even know to be honest. he is actually sort of higher up in management and i feel funny bringing it up to him. bottom line is whats done is done, doesn`t matter what caused it really. what is more important now is if there anything i can do to fix it, or at least make it look a little better.

If my dad ever taught me one thing that really made sense it was, don`t screw with or rock the boat with upper management. You can mention it as in "what kind of smoothie did you have" but don`t call him out on it. Especially in these times, you gotta be careful with management no matter what.

Quality Leather
03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
I would try the Woolite solution and a Scotch Brite delicate duty scrub pad. If you are removing color (the coating), then it may need to be refinished. Fortunately it is just a matter of matching the color and refinishing the damaged area.

gchristopher9
03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
how do i refinish it? is this something that would be a DIY, or do i need a professional? Does anyone know of anyone in MA that can do this for a reasonable price?

judyb
03-24-2009, 12:11 AM
If the colour is begining to come off the leather then the smoothie has caused damage to the finish on the leather. The area now needs colour/finish replacing. If you can get a matched colour it may be something you can do yourself but these jobs are really best left to a professioanl who will have all the correct products to do the job for you.

optimusp517
03-24-2009, 12:32 AM
sorry had to say this looks like a sperm :P

gchristopher9
03-24-2009, 05:03 AM
sorry had to say this looks like a sperm :P

i`m surprised it took 10 replies for someone to say it. haha