PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

Pages : [1] 2

Type Incredible
03-22-2009, 08:03 AM
I am very new to detailing, right now i used Turtle wax ICE (i think that`s what it is called), microfiber towels for washing and drying, i use different ones. I also use the two bucket system. i would like to get into polishing and a more in depth level of cleaning because it protects the paint and in my mind is a great alternative to the people that for some reason need a new car every 2 years. ( i don`t understand it)

I was looking at swissvax but seem more expensive, as well as P21s products. I would like to know what is a good starting points in terms of what go get, for me to get my feet wet. Also if a PC available to rent at Harbor Freight if anyone knows, because i have a few friends who will let me practice for a small fee.

Thanks

Alex

XRL
03-22-2009, 08:56 AM
IMO, I`d start off with a less expensive Carnauba type, and a less expensive Sealant(synthetics basically) type to kinda figure out what type of look you prefer. Keep in mind though that not all sealants will look the same, some are formulated to kinda look like Carnauba, some are formulated to do other things. IMO, a lot of the question is part of what kind of car it is, and what color it is. I`d try some NXT2 for a sealant, and something in a Meg`s #26 or Mother`s Carnauba as your Carnauba.

I wouldn`t worry about paying to practice on a PC or renting one. You can get one for just over $100, and they`re made to be almost idiot-proof. I like to recommend getting Meg`s SwirlX and Ultimate Compound, they`re available very cheaply at most everywhere, will work by hand or with a DA or rotary,and are very capable. Try them out by hand, and then snag a PC or a G110 or even a Flex when you find a good deal on one.

Type Incredible
03-22-2009, 11:10 AM
thanks i will look into that

imported_sal329
03-22-2009, 05:15 PM
This is a loaded question. Not to sound like a jerk but read on here, other forums and surf the net. There are so many great products and lots of must haves

My short list

ONR

DG 501

DG 111

Meguiars 105

Meguiars 205

Lots of MF towels, Vikings are nice OTC towels, I like the rag shack`s selection of towels

PC or Flex

LOTS of pads

various brushes

Meguiars All Season Dressing

Scottwax
03-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Right now, I think you should focus on polishing the paint rather than the wax or sealant you chose. Click on the "how to" icon at the top of the page for some great articles about polishing as well as a general overview of detailing. Spend some time in the machine polishing forum as well, a lot of great information there that will help you get started using a buffer to correct your paint. Take it from someone who detailed my first 10 years professionally doing all the polishing by hand-you do want a quality buffer!

Type Incredible
03-22-2009, 07:07 PM
to sal329, i dont think you sound like a jerk, thanks for giving me input. I have been reading on the forum and looking through different site but there are so many option and i thought you guys could steer me in a good starting direction. also will any brush work or do name brand ones work as well, currently i am using a toliet bowl clean, and it would quite well.

to scottwax today i was washing an acura TL (this being my dad`s car) it has never been washed since bought brand new in 2005, but do you know what causes those marks in the gap in where the door handle is? i used mother carnauba wax to remove it.

Alex

Scottwax
03-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Alex-usually the marks under the door handle are caused by fingernails rubbing against the paint when opening the doors.

Type Incredible
03-23-2009, 06:52 AM
I thought so it just seemed like an excessive number of scratches

akimel
03-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Detailing is great fun. You may find this collection of links helpful:

Internet Resources for Detailing Newbs (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/115376-internet-resources-newbs.html)

imported_sal329
03-23-2009, 12:07 PM
The swissvax brush works great for wheels, as does a good boars head brush, EZ detail brush. I use the toilet scrubber brush for stubborn wheel wells and sometimes on tires,

Type Incredible
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Now after reading a lot of different articles about the exterior. now what do i do the the inside.For example are what are chemicals that are on the cheaper side. the first car i would do is a 05 Acura TL, the black dash is starting to turn white and has a lot of sun fade. what would be a good starting point in correcting this?

Alex

XRL
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I can`t speak as far as correcting it, but Surf City Garage Dash Away has some pretty decent UV protection to keep it from getting worse. It might fix it too, you never know. I`d imagine if it doesn`t fix it, the fix will not be very easy and may be something that needs re-dyed or replaced.

Relaited
03-26-2009, 05:58 AM
Honestly, the first thing I suggest you do is if you want to be a professional, you need to get a business license, proper insurance, equipment to handle your waste run off, etc.

Then, you need training. In that training, you will get all the necessary info ... you cannot learn this from reading an article.

Otherwise, IMHO, you would be part of the problem in this industry. With the low cost of entry, anyone can print a business card or simply say ... I am a Detailer.

Somehow, that has to change. Personally, I do not understand why people are so free to give info to newbies, without verifying an individual`s background and credentials. The industry is made up of technicians, not business people. And if they are the shady tree detailer, or enthusiast ... tell them to hire a pro, or only offer the basics, or send them to an article.

-jim

Type Incredible
03-26-2009, 07:53 AM
XLR, i will look at that, and do some more reading on it.

02zx9r
03-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Damn, Jim give the guy a break.

I read his post and to me (and maybe I am wrong) it didn`t sound like he is trying to turn pro, he just wants to maintain his vehicles and his dads Acura.

Dump on the guy for trying to learn the right steps to maintaining his cars. I see why people steer clear of this forum