PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Polished and now have an odd looking spot

whtteg
03-20-2009, 12:29 PM
I was polishing on my G35 and now I have this small spot that is a lighter color than the rest of the car. My process was PC with orange LC pad and M1, then LC white pad and M9.

I have tried to catch it in a pic but it is hard to see. In person it is very noticeable. Any ideas on what it is?

Here are some pics, I tried to circle it in red to help see it.

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/whtteg/Light-patch1.jpg

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/whtteg/light-patch2.jpg

02zx9r
03-20-2009, 12:53 PM
i cant see the picture cause at work but will look when at home.

Can you describe it? Can you use some quick detail spray and a mf towel and wipe it down and see if it will go away?

whtteg
03-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Tried that and it will not go away, it looks like it is under the clear???

It makes no sense to me, I really do not think that I burned through the clear with the little bit of polishing that I did.

The spot looks like a splotch (sp?) that is a shade or two lighter in color.

Even the pictures do not really show it that well.

Bostonsfavson
03-20-2009, 01:05 PM
You`re sure that spot wasn`t there before, just less noticeable?

salty
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks like you thinned the clear.

BigJimZ28
03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Looks like you thinned the clear.

yep that what it looks like:mad:

F.Y.I. M1 is for Rotary ONLY:sadwavey:

imported_DetailDan
03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Looks like you went through the clear. Has the car been repainted?

salty
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Repainted or has it been compounded before.

Dsoto87
03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Birthmark.....

howareb
03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
It looks to be that the clear coat has delaminated from the base coat. While only a guess, this type of problem is more common on hoods, due to the under heat of the engine. A PC is not always looked as a powerful enough device to go through the clear, but if a paint problem like this is there, a PC will sure bring it out.

If you are within the limits of the warranty, you may be able to claim on the paint, depending upon the age of the car.

Barry Theal
03-20-2009, 05:42 PM
that there is a burn!!!!! you went threw the clear there!!!!

Twista616
03-20-2009, 06:37 PM
bufferbarry, the guy is probably freakin` out right now, no need to rub it in! haha Could be many things...is it still shiny?

imported_billzabub
03-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Does the spot look... "dry"... in comparison to the surrounding surfaces?

Accumulator
03-21-2009, 11:35 AM
whtteg- Burned, over-thinned, cut through, exposure of iffy oe paintwork ...whichever it is, it`s really just a matter of degree. The bottom line is that you got too aggressive and had the sort of "oops" that can only be fixed with a paintgun. Sorry...it happens. I did it in two spots on my M3 (even though I really shoulda known better, I was taking ETG readings and everything :o ).

And yeah, if you`re doing aggressive work via PC I wouldn`t use anything harsher than M105 and I`d be a bit careful with that.

You might *try* doing a warranty claim, but I`d be amazed if they went for it. I had definite flaws like that on a brand-new Caddy back in the `90s and they utterly kissed me off (and thus lost my business forever ;) ).

whtteg
03-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Well I guess I can try the warranty option. I doubt they will go for it either. The fact that it will need to be repainted does not really bother me that much as I was already looking at a repaint. There are spots on the hood, roof and bumper were it looks like the previous owner (lived in FLA) left some love bugs on the paint too long and they eched all the way to the base coat and 2 spots all the way to the primer.

The thing that it weird to me is that in that area I did not get aggressive at all, were as I did get rather aggressive in some other spots with 2 passes. That being said I can`t really see were I burned through the clear. Now I supose it could be possible that it has been polished before and it just took that little bit to burn through, but it still shines, it does not look white either. I would have to say that it looks more like it lifting or seperating, but I don`t know.