PDA

View Full Version : Wax remover?

cjv998
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone, I have a few spots on my car that need some touch-up paint, but I want to make sure the surface is free of any remaining wax first so the paint bonds. I know you can use Dawn dish soap to remove wax, but is there a better method than this in my case, or should I just wash the spots in question with Dawn and leave it at that?

Bert
03-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi everyone, I have a few spots on my car that need some touch-up paint, but I want to make sure the surface is free of any remaining wax first so the paint bonds. I know you can use Dawn dish soap to remove wax, but is there a better method than this in my case, or should I just wash the spots in question with Dawn and leave it at that?

When I am touching up small chips on my car, after washing the car, I dip a Q-Tip in rubbing alcohol and rub the Q-Tip in the chip then wipe away with a microfiber. Now these are small chips, no larger than the tip of a pencil eraser. If you are dealing with something larger, maybe apply the rubbing alcohol to an edge of a folded microfiber, wipe the spot then wipe with a clean/dry area of the microfiber.

There are some really good chip repair threads on this site. Do a search, it will give you loads of info.

Envious Eric
03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
mix up some iso-alcohol

Envious Eric
03-19-2009, 05:47 PM
or get a dedicated wax/grese remover like prep-sol

cjv998
03-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I should have some rubbing alcohol around the house, sounds like that`ll do the trick. Thanks everyone!