PDA

View Full Version : Detail training in Santa Barbara, Ca

r1805
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Any one knows of training in the above location or close by? I been laid off and been thinking of starting my owm bsiness. I have all the equipment needed and a lot of products. I do have some experience mainly on my car and some friends cars.

I of course be willing to pay or work for free for the right person with a good reputation.

Any one?

Setec Astronomy
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
I hope this isn`t a setup. http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-business-management-marketing/116176-santa-barbara-auto-detailing-teacher-s-new-site.html

r1805
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
it`s not I`m trying to find some one that offers training.

imported_WCD
03-18-2009, 09:52 PM
I do not offer training. I pay money for that. I offer advice and tips, but not to someone in my city...I have read and trained all over and paid good money for that. I do not offer paid "ride alongs" in my area...I even pay for that in LA.

I have a specific business plan going and it`s not being shared with competition..sorry.

You need to view your equipment and meet with city officials...what you have may not get you a license in the next few months..there is some free advice.

I am looking for employees, but only by referral. Sorry. I do not have my "no- compete" clause written and checked by my attorney yet. I am sorry you lost your job. There are other detailers in this area as you know so you might ask if one is hiring.

Running this business and having equipment to do so are completely different, especially with what is coming down from the State Water Control Board very soon..early April.

You are looking at trouble if you do not have a water containment mat and wish to work in any parking lot in city limits. There are other options so do some research and prepare.

Best of luck and when you are up and running, let`s have lunch!

Rob Regan

Auto Detailing Teacher

Santa Barbara, CA

Setec Astronomy
03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Sorry Rob, I must have misunderstood your other thread.

r1805
03-18-2009, 10:06 PM
totally understand WDC competition is tuff I do have other options, might go out of state to get some training.

Where can if find out about getting a license and the requirements for one?

I do not plan on opening up a shop mostly going to peoples house or out of my garage.

imported_WCD
03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
There are three training possibilities in San Diego, one in Boise, and perhaps one in LA. These are ones that I know of..could be more.

Then you get farther away if you go to NJ, Ohio, or FL.

Check with your insurance person..you`ll need coverage. If you work out of your garage, do you have the right zoning to do so? If not, and someone calls on you, the city will drop by for a visit. It`s not the same as a "home office" type business.

Go to Craigslist and click on Automotive Services. There are about 2 regular detailers on there. In town, there are MANY running around and only 1 besides me that contains run off. Many state, "I go to houses so I`m not worried."

There are soon to be fines for people in LA who do not use less water. If neighbors see your water going into the storm drain (illegal), then they might call the city on you. Just be careful about spending money on items that won`t help you. Having good products and such won`t do any good if you can`t operate. If the city fines the owner of the house because you put discharge into the drains, it will be hard to find work.

Rob

imported_WCD
03-19-2009, 07:01 AM
"Sorry Rob, I must have misunderstood your other thread."

You probably did not-can`t remember the thread.

I do help a lot of guys that call for towels. We often talk more about business than towels and such. I have published 2 articles in PC and D, and contribute more than the average on another forum and network with about 12 top US business owners (detail owners). I`ll be in Vegas in a few weeks and then San Diego in April. All for detail training and improving business.

However, if someone in my city comes to me and asks for advice, that is a little tricky because I operate a detail business and have a unique situation. I also teach sixth grade full time (hence, the name). It is confusing to people that are not in my locale, but as you know, a good business does not try to impress other business owners, but impress possible customers. Thus, my biz name might confuse another detailer, but my customers know who I am and my reputation over 17 years as a teacher in SB. That alone gets me work. If detailers paid my bills then I would have a name the attracted them. Just two weeks ago while demonstrating for a city program, a guy walked up and said, "Hey, can I watch? I have a friend learning to detail." He thought I was teaching detailing because of my name so it does happen--but he is not a customer.

Anyway, times are changing here--pw, water tank, etc. is not going to cut it with SB if you are in the open and visible by the public.

Well, off to get a blood test at 7 AM and then to school for another great day of teaching!

Rob

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2009, 07:04 AM
"Sorry Rob, I must have misunderstood your other thread."

You probably did not-can`t remember the thread.

I`m sure it was the "detailing teacher" part that I saw and presumed you had started a detailing school, sorry for the confusion.