PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Detailing & Generators

Pages : [1] 2

HappyWax
03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Is it a necessity to have a generator if I plan to go mobile? -Specifically I plan to go to individual homes (so no plans on corporate/parking lots etc)

Has anyone had problems with clients refusing power access or shortages ??

Otherwise I need an alternative to gas powered generators...

I know mytee makes a battery powered pressure washer but I need to be able to plug in my steamer and carpet extractor.

Any suggestions would help!!

Please forgive me if this is a dumb rookie question.

Bostonsfavson
03-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I`m mobile, and I`ve never lost a job due to not having a generator (in fact I have one, but it stays in the garage). There`s always power nearby, and if a client ever refused access to it, I would politely decline the job. Even at office complexes and the like, there`s almost always a power outlet that you can access.

Garry Dean
03-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I also have a generator, but it sits in my garage. I have never had a problem with a client not wanting me to use their power or water, in fact, they usually expect that I will need both.

HappyWax
03-18-2009, 07:56 PM
So 50ft of extension cord should suffice?! great!

Bostonsfavson
03-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I would get a 50 for normal use, and then another 50 or even 100 just in case. There have been several times when 50 wasn`t enough for me. Do you do ONR washes? If you do, you won`t even need water (or at least a hose).

HappyWax
03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
I would get a 50 for normal use, and then another 50 or even 100 just in case. There have been several times when 50 wasn`t enough for me. Do you do ONR washes? If you do, you won`t even need water (or at least a hose).

I just bought my first gallon of ONR - looking forward to being a minimalist ! -I just bought a steamer too

I`m marketing locally as (the only) Eco-Friendly Detailer

Bostonsfavson
03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
You`ll love ONR--it`s great stuff. Where abouts in upstate NY are you?

HappyWax
03-19-2009, 07:43 AM
I`m in the Finger Lakes Region-

Really nice area - minus the Antarctic like weather this year

Just moved from Pittsburgh.

Bostonsfavson
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I`m in the Finger Lakes Region-

Really nice area - minus the Antarctic like weather this year

Just moved from Pittsburgh.

Ah, good stuff. I just moved from Buffalo to Las Vegas prior to this winter. Based on what I`ve heard from people back home, I picked a good time to do so. I guess it was a pretty brutal winter this year.

HappyWax
03-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Around 150 inches of snow so far....

wannafbody
03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Hello from the Burgh:woot: I`d consider the generator as a future purchase if you get corporate clients and have to work in a parking lot.

Showroom Shine
03-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Hello from the Burgh:woot: I`d consider the generator as a future purchase if you get corporate clients and have to work in a parking lot.

Right! If you are in a big parking lot you will need a generator. I have a spare also. I can`t imagine going out to detail and not having it. I`m fully outfitted with everything from water,heated extractor,wet dry vac/ blower,tent,3 buffers,

(Flex,Rotory,PC) Ozone Generator. I have detailed in places where there is no electric. This is one reason I can keep my prices where they are. I never use anything of the customers.

Joel_MD
03-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Anybody who is paying you to detail a car isn`t going to mind you plugging into an outlet and using 50 cents worth of electricity!

AppliedColors
03-20-2009, 07:23 PM
You don`t need a generator, but once you have one you`ll never want to work without it.

Customers` outlets often trip circuit breakers, then you need to find them to reset the breaker, then it trips again, etc.

And set up / break down goes much faster w/ a generator.

Bostonsfavson
03-20-2009, 08:10 PM
You don`t need a generator, but once you have one you`ll never want to work without it.

Customers` outlets often trip circuit breakers, then you need to find them to reset the breaker, then it trips again, etc.

And set up / break down goes much faster w/ a generator.

You must be using some heavy duty equipment! In three years of mobile detailing, I`ve not once tripped a circuit breaker.