PDA

View Full Version : PS, NXT 2.0 and UQW Compared; Some Interesting Observations

Bostonsfavson
03-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey all. I don`t have work this week and the weather here has been amazing, so I`ve been experimenting with some different LSPs. A couple weeks ago I picked up Ultimate Quik Wax, and I`ve been so impressed with it that I decided to compare it to my favorite LSP (Pinnacle Souveran) and another Meguiar`s product which I don`t personally care for: NXT 2.0.

My process was to compare the three of them on several freshly polished panels after a thorough ISP wipedown. The truck is a black GMC Sierra Denali. A quick note: there are no pics, because I lost my camera :think:

The PS and UQW sections were almost indistinguishable from each other--pretty impressive considering the cost and chemical composition difference. The PS was a bit deeper and did look nicer, but it certainly wasn`t a blowout. As for the NXT? Well, the paint was noticeably darker compared to PS and UQW--in fact, it was much darker. This was especially noticeable on my rear fenders, which have a crappy (factory) paint job on them. The fenders are not as black as the rest of the truck, which is usually fairly noticeable when the vehicle is in the sun. The NXT darkened them up to the point where the difference was negligible. However, the NXT didn`t look as nice as the PS or UQW sections. Also, the NXT doesn`t come off nearly as easily as the other two products. I know that people praise NXT for how easy it comes off, but that`s never been my experience. It SEEMS as though it comes off with out an issue, but in reality, there is streaking. It`s only visible in certain light, but it`s there. I had to dampen an MF towel with S&W to get it off completely.

I thought that perhaps I could top the NXT with PS and get the best of both worlds--a darker finish that was also more reflective and generally looked nicer. So, I waited a few hours and threw a light coat of PS over the NXT section. When I wiped it down, though, the darkness was gone. Why is that? Is the carnauba in the PS muting the darkening properties of the NXT? I`d love to hear some thoughts on this from those more knowledgeable than myself.

All in all, a very interesting couple days. In the end, PS is still my favorite LSP out there, but UQW is an amazing product that really holds its own. In fact, I topped the PS with UQW when I was all done and it looks amazing. NXT continues to disappoint me, although the extent to which it can darken paint was a surprise. Thanks for listening to an admittedly long-winded post, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

:thx

Lumadar
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
UQW is not intended to be a stand alone LSP as much as it is intended to be an "in between" wax to use after washes, and in between a full standard application of wax.

That said, I found it gave considerable sheeting and beading for 3 weeks before I added a new application (Sorry, I can`t help myself, lol).

As for your experience with NXT- how do you apply it?

How long do you allow it to dry, and how and when do you know to remove it?

I used to have issues with streaking, but now that I follow the Meguiar`s recommended technique of proper coats and removal tests it is a complete non-issue for me.

I certainly have never found NXT when applied properly to be even remotely difficult to remove.

willtothewong
03-18-2009, 07:27 PM
ultimate quick wax is freaking awesome

easy application

beads well

and smells great

i topped UQW on top of Meg`s #26 and really makes the flakes pop, almost as much as souveran. but given the ease of application, i hate to say it, but i will take UQW over souveran

but for looks, souveran still rules most, if not, all

Bostonsfavson
03-18-2009, 07:34 PM
UQW is not intended to be a stand alone LSP as much as it is intended to be an "in between" wax to use after washes, and in between a full standard application of wax.

That said, I found it gave considerable sheeting and beading for 3 weeks before I added a new application (Sorry, I can`t help myself, lol).

As for your experience with NXT- how do you apply it?

How long do you allow it to dry, and how and when do you know to remove it?

I used to have issues with streaking, but now that I follow the Meguiar`s recommended technique of proper coats and removal tests it is a complete non-issue for me.

I certainly have never found NXT when applied properly to be even remotely difficult to remove.

I realize that UQW isn`t meant to be a standalone LSP--I merely included it to compare it to PS and NXT. It`s damn impressive for a spray wax.

I know that I`m using NXT correctly, following the advice of Mike Phillips himself (and yes, I do the swipe test and all that jazz). As I said, it`s not that NXT is difficult to remove, but rather it leaves behind very subtle streaking that is only noticeable on dark vehicles in certain light. It`s a minor issue, but it flies in the face of the "well, NXT comes off so easy" argument.

Bostonsfavson
03-18-2009, 07:36 PM
ultimate quick wax is freaking awesome

easy application

beads well

and smells great

i topped UQW on top of Meg`s #26 and really makes the flakes pop, almost as much as souveran. but given the ease of application, i hate to say it, but i will take UQW over souveran

but for looks, souveran still rules most, if not, all

+1. What`s great about UQW is that is seems to work really well on all paints with no compromises. And yes, the smell is intoxicating.

Lumadar
03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I realize that UQW isn`t meant to be a standalone LSP--I merely included it to compare it to PS and NXT. It`s damn impressive for a spray wax.

I know that I`m using NXT correctly, following the advice of Mike Phillips himself (and yes, I do the swipe test and all that jazz). As I said, it`s not that NXT is difficult to remove, but rather it leaves behind very subtle streaking that is only noticeable on dark vehicles in certain light. It`s a minor issue, but it flies in the face of the "well, NXT comes off so easy" argument.

Gotcha. I used to have that same issue on darker cars (noticed it on my sister`s black Ranger Rover, and my red Focus), but I realized I was rushing things and removing the product too soon. Once I made sure it truly passed the swipe test, the problem went away. Also, I found applying it via DA with ultra thin coats helps a bunch too.

longdx
03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I cannot wait to try the UQW. Personally, I really didn`t like NXT too terribly much. I found it just adequate. However, I like many of the other Meguiars products

1bad04cobra
03-19-2009, 02:24 AM
I also dont care for NXT 2.0 leaves smears behind, like tut wax ICE.

WhiteStripes
03-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Hmmmm, sounds like I have a P21s topper now. Time to hit up ADS....

Thanks for the write up!

frito
03-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I don`t "think" I have had the problem with NXT streaking. However, since we don`t have sun around here I don`t know if it would appear in that light. Under work lights I do not see it however. I also think the product is pretty decent.