PDA

View Full Version : Steamed the cruise control buttons grey

HappyWax
03-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a Euro Steam ES2100 - Very similar to the VX 5000 everyone is bonkers for -Same controls/wand buttons are identical and the performance ratings are very similar too - same temp & 68psi, Burst of Hot water jet etc etc. (and the attachments are identical -as in interchangeable)

Ok I`ve turned my truck and my brothers car into a virtual training ground and after a week I`ve decided : It`s REALLY easy to do damage.

I used the High setting -for about 15 seconds on the steering wheel and tuned the black cruise control buttons gray. -I`m not sure if it was from the heat or the abrasive nylon brush (Side Note: Where the heck are the soft brush attachments on these things?! Horsehair anyone?! ) The "On" "Off" text is still in tact though- so I`m not sure what type of damage it is.

On the plus side -cleaning the headliner and various "aged to perfection" stains were ridiculously easy ! (cover steamer with cloth and set to medium or low)

By the way- the whole clean out the vents thing is sooooo over rated. To me it is more show than go, sure you can blow steam out of the vents, but in the end all the dirt (my work truck) remained and actually just slopped around. -In the end, I just used Q-Tips and brushes. This was biggest disappointment.

-Just my 2 cents-

I am well aware of the detailing DVD but if anyone has a method for vents please let me know! - Also, if anyone can explain the graying of the black button phenomenon please do!

imported_Detailing Technology
03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
ouch.

I mentioned this specifically as a warning in another post titled "My Steamer!!!!"

You can melt the coating off of leather seats with a steamer..

You need to wrap the head in a microfiber also.

pingable
03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Those nylon brushes are WAY TOO abrasive in the 1st place.

Like Jdoria stated, take a MF, and wrap the head. There should be at least clips ontop on the head to do as stated

BobD
03-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I don`t think the steamer clean the dirt from the vents, you still need to get the dirt out using a towel or tip. What I like about it is that it pumps steam through the vents and will kill any bacteria / mold that might be in there or anything else causing any odors.

HappyWax
03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
yep, I used a cloth over the triangle attachment to do any cloth and leather and it worked well -I didn`t think the rubbery ford Taurus steering wheel would require a covered brush as well.

Don`t get me wrong, I like the steamer a lot and I attribute this more to my misunderstanding of use than the machine itself.

David Fermani
03-18-2009, 12:39 PM
IBy the way- the whole clean out the vents thing is sooooo over rated. To me it is more show than go

I agree. I`m definately an old fashioned detailer and have no desire to grasp this cocept in an auto environment.

AeroCleanse
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Never had any issues with the plastic turning gray. 15 seconds seems like a very long time to me.

HappyWax
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Note: 15 seconds - all over the steering wheel - not just on the cruise button.

-About steaming the vents & bacteria killing: To me, it couldn`t possible kill the bacteria deep in the vents -it looses most of the heat (aka high temp = kill bacteria ) within a few inches.

Even on high setting I can get a few inches away and the vapor is warm but NOT super hot.

In my estimation, it will kill bacteria in the immediate area but not much outside of that. A few inches give or take. Deep vents, no way.

I`m not saying a steamer isn`t great, or that it doesn`t make the car smell fresh.

Lumadar
03-18-2009, 06:49 PM
When I use mine I make sure to keep the head moving at all times. I also keep the head wrapped with a towel, and certainly never use the nylon heads in car auto environments.

Also, I find the low setting to be quite sufficient.