PDA

View Full Version : tar everywhere.....

Pages : [1] 2 3

CumminsCrazed
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
hey guys, i went on a trip to Milwaukee 2 wks ago this weekend, and i found out that somewhere i had gone i got tar ALL over the bottom 1/3 of my truck, some areas almost as high as my windows though. What is one of the best OTC tar removers i can get.

Also, what can i use for a tar remover for baked on tar on my stainless exhaust tip. My tip got COVERED in tar and looks like crap now. Any suggestions/help on these would be GREATLY appreciated.

Eisen Hulk
03-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I would try one or both of these products. I`ve used the Surf City product and I love it.

Chemical Guys Grime Reaper | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys-M31/Grime-Reaper-P180/)

Surf City Garage Road Trip Grime Destroyer (http://www.autogeek.net/surf-city-garage-road-trip-grime-destroyer.html)

CumminsCrazed
03-18-2009, 09:08 AM
thanks man....but im hoping for more of an OTC product i can use since im on a tight budget (laid off on unemployment)

imported_GregCavi
03-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Tarminator is one of the best, otc products. Otherwise, prep-sol type products have worked well for me in the past, and even the old school, kerosene, works when everything else seems to fail.

Greg

BigJimZ28
03-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Stoners Tarminator has always worked for me

also surf city is now OTC

see if someone close to you sells it:Premium Car Care & Car Detailing Products - Car Wax - Car Polish â€â€œ Car Shine - Wheel Cleaners (http://www.surfcitygarage.com/index.php)

CumminsCrazed
03-18-2009, 09:23 AM
ok....any suggestions on removing the baked on hard tar from my exhaust tip?

BigJimZ28
03-18-2009, 09:30 AM
ok....any suggestions on removing the baked on hard tar from my exhaust tip?

are they painted, polished, chrome, ect...

CumminsCrazed
03-18-2009, 10:44 AM
anyone????

i think ive already scratched the stainless trying to get some of it off...so if anyone has any ideas to correct that itd be awesome

Eisen Hulk
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Hmmm....would WD-40 work?

Bbasso
03-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Have you tried clay, readily available and cheap.

Just be sure to get some wax on after.

imported_Jakerooni
03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
OTC does NOT mean cheaper. Most of the top shelf products out there that are much better than most if not all OTC products can actually be found cheaper than alot of OTC products if you can search online because you can get deals over the net and not have to pay retail. I wish this thought process would go away for good but somehow I don`t see it happening anytime soon. Tarminator is a good product to use. Wd40 isn`t going to touch road tar very well. As for your exhaust tips get some 0000 grade steel wool and go to town on them. (I soak them in glass cleaner first though) Should power right through any tar on your SS tips.

Eisen Hulk
03-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Jake. WD-40 was just something that came to mind. Wasn`t sure it would work or not. Now I know too.

I keep meaning to pick up some 0000 steel wool. Can`t you find it at Harley dealerships?

salty
03-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Mineral spirits. If it`s fresh it should wipe right off, and if it`s dried let it dwell. Same with exhaust and maybe a plastic razor if it is heat baked. If you have large thick spots scratch off the top of the tar and the mineral spirits will work much faster.

BigJimZ28
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I keep meaning to pick up some 0000 steel wool.

any Hardware store or even Walmart should have it

CumminsCrazed
03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
im gonna go see if i can get some pics of the tar spots.....some came out and were still gooey