PDA

View Full Version : clay marring

Pages : [1] 2

iqzero
03-18-2009, 08:05 AM
i usually don`t get marring at all when i clay my cars, but i did my car last night. it`s baaaaaaaaaaad :grrr: i used zaino`s clay bar (first time i had marring this bad).

did a search to see if i could just procede without re-claying the car. common sense just told me to re-clay car. temperature was about 70 degrees, cold for hawaii :P. i`m using a spray bottle with zaino wash/water concentration. i`ll add more z-soap to the mix before i re-clay.

the car was in a warehouse in a shop for 2yrs and it seems like there`s been a bunch of overspray, dust, etc. i had to clay the sh** out of the car to get all of it off so i did use quite a bit of pressure.

do i have to use a new clay bar? not sure how much junk is on the bar, but almost all panels are marred. was also wondering if i needed to re-clear parts of the car. some panels seem like the clear is clouding/got eaten by the overspray etc. kind of perplexed as to why my hood seems like this because the hood is only a month old or so.

as soon as the sun comes up i`m going to do the car again with a new bar and a bucket of warm water on the side. i`ll post pix later, but any and all suggestions would be awesome.

:cry:

gmblack3
03-18-2009, 08:21 AM
If I get marring, I just have to polish afterwards. Even a finishing polish should get out the marring from claying.

dublifecrisis
03-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I`ve had marring ONCE with Clay Magic blue clay. It was mainly on the plastic bumper areas where it curves. and as gmblack said, it was easy to polish out. I wiped it out with one pass of poli-seal.

iqzero
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
sweeeeet! saves me another hour or so lol.

gonna go try some ZFX + Z5 now~~

:bigups

BigJimZ28
03-18-2009, 09:04 AM
sweeeeet! saves me another hour or so lol.

gonna go try some ZFX + Z5 now~~

:bigups

no what they are talking about is a abrasive polish to remove the defects

not a Zaino "polish" that is not a polish but a sealant

iqzero
03-18-2009, 09:21 AM
thought so. clay bar here we come :|~~

aixab
03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
i suppose clay marring may have resulted from running the clay without enough lubrication or not kneading it?

iqzero
03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
lubrication was pretty good and i did knead as needed, but i was claying the hell out of it so that may have been the problem. some parts of the car felt like sandpaper so it was pretty bad lol.

i just tried to polish a small section to see if i could half-a it, but i don`t think it did any real good. you can still sort of see the marring slightly. i don`t have any sunlight now so i`ll check it later again in an hour or so when the sun is out. if it`s bad i`ll probably just have to reclay it. boo :(

BigJimZ28
03-18-2009, 09:39 AM
what did you try to polish with?

if you are having a problem with marring maybe reclaying is not the best idea

Accumulator
03-18-2009, 09:50 AM
lubrication was pretty good and i did knead as needed, but i was claying the hell out of it so that may have been the problem. some parts of the car felt like sandpaper so it was pretty bad lol...

Eh...reading the above makes me think you were mighty aggressive, and even pretty mild clay can mar if you use it that way. Never used Zaino clay myself, but unless you were kneading/replacing it after every few strokes I`d imagine you marred things up pretty well.

Even when I`ve been *really* aggressive (well, my version of "really aggressive ;) ) the phrasing "claying the Hell out of it" would *never* occur to me.

i just tried to polish a small section to see if i could half-a it, but i don`t think it did any real good. you can still sort of see the marring slightly. i don`t have any sunlight now so i`ll check it later again in an hour or so when the sun is out. if it`s bad i`ll probably just have to reclay it. boo :(

I`m not following you here, I don`t see why you`d need to reclay. Claying might *cause* marring but it can`t *fix* marring; you need an abrasive polish for that.

Just use the proper abrasive polish to abrade away the marring and then apply your LSP (i.e., the Zaino). NO need to reclay that I can imagine, especially after the aggressive claying you already gave it.

Next time you clay, you shouldn`t have to get all that aggressive so you probably won`t have to polish again (well, if you do the claying properly ;) ).

aixab
03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
agree. your next step is not to clay but rather to use an appropriate polish. unlike swirls where if you made swirls with a rotary, you need a rotary to take them out.. reclaying will not remove the marring caused by claying. The surface contaminants have been removed with clay and marring needs to be polished out.

iqzero
03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
thx for all the input guys :thx

a buddy said to try to re-clay it when i called him earlier. damnittt :confused:

does anyone have any recommendations for an abrasive polish? i am not too familiar with these :x. would it be something like that z-aio thing?

Z-AIO All-in-one: Zaino Store (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-AIO&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=7)

the guy who distributes this in my area lives closer than the store lol. thx again!

imported_ZimRandy
03-18-2009, 10:47 AM
does anyone have any recommendations for an abrasive polish? i am not too familiar with these :x. would it be something like that z-aio thing?

Z-AIO All-in-one: Zaino Store (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-AIO&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=7)

the guy who distributes this in my area lives closer than the store lol. thx again!

I`d get the Z-PC if you have a Zaino distributor local.

Where abouts do you live?

imported_DetailDan
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I feel you should at least go over the paint with a light polish after claying no matter what.

Accumulator
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
..a buddy said to try to re-clay it when i called him earlier...

Heh heh, might oughta be a little careful regarding that guy`s detailing advice ;)

..does anyone have any recommendations for an abrasive polish?...the guy who distributes [Zaino].. in my area lives closer than the store lol. thx again!

I agree with ZimRandy, the ZPC (which I`ve never used) would probably be a better choice than the ZAIO (which I have used). The abrasives in the ZAIO could very easily be too mild.

I feel you should at least go over the paint with a light polish after claying no matter what.

Well, I wouldn`t go quite that far; I clay all the time and very rarely polish. Whole lotta variables in play though...