PDA

View Full Version : What Is This On My Wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

Polygon
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a set of wheels that have a polished lip. As far is I know they are clear coated. The car has been outside all winter but was not driven on salty roads. For the most part it`s been sitting. Now I go out to find these white spots on all four wheels. Some on the lip and some in the hub area. I don`t know what this is or if there`s any way to get it off. Here`s a picture:

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/CarDomain/Stealth/Images/CRW_5422.jpg

My guess is that it`s some type of corrosion. Any ideas you have would be helpful.

Apollo_Auto
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
What have you been using to clean them? Looks like the clear`s gone there, buddy :(. Rocks can cause chips in the rims and then just from the elements they`ll start to look corroded... pretty quickly too.

Polygon
03-16-2009, 02:57 PM
It`s doing it in spots that it would be highly unlikely for a rock to hit. I`ve been cleaning them using a microfiber towel and some Meguiars car wash.

imported_Jakerooni
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
It`s the beginning of clear coat failure. Sorry to say but once you see that there is no stopping or correcting it. You`ll need to get them refinished and recoated.

Polygon
03-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Well, what caused it? I don`t know if I want to bother if they are just going to do this again. I`ve done nothing but baby them except for sitting out this winter and I don`t see how that could kill the clear.

imported_Jakerooni
03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Sitting out is probably what caused them. I know Utah is an entirely different beast than Michigan but we always coat rims in wax for the winter to give them added protection if they are just going to sit. Somehow there was pitting in the clear and moisture got into the pits and started bubbling it like that. (usually how it happens anyways)

Polygon
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Man, they aren`t even a year old.

Well, thanks for the help. :(

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah, out there on the ribbed lip, that definitely looks like corrosion. IME that usually starts around the weights (dissimilar metal galvanic corrosion), but sometimes not. As Jake said, really nothing you can do about it but sand and repaint.

Was the car sitting somewhere where it could have gotten salt on it? During the winter you can really get a "salt atmosphere" anywhere near the road, depending on how much salt is put down, where it gets plowed/tracked, etc.

Polygon
03-16-2009, 06:35 PM
No, it`s a good 100 feet or more from the road up an incline.

chromecarz00
03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
brand? it can make a big diff

Polygon
03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
They`re 5zigen FN01R-Cs.

Bostonsfavson
03-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Man, they aren`t even a year old.

Well, thanks for the help. :(

Welcome to the world of cheap Chinese wheels.

GLuXuRy
03-16-2009, 11:18 PM
if they are 5zigen

they are most likely clear coated (like you stated) problem with clear coated wheels are they are pretty darn sensitive, if your car sat outside, it`s prob a etched water spot

Polygon
03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Welcome to the world of cheap Chinese wheels.

LOL, that`s the sad thing, they aren`t cheap. They were $250 a wheel. The funny thing is the car next to has some cheap Koenig Reasons that still look perfect and that car has had to sit in the snow over the course of three winters.

if they are 5zigen

they are most likely clear coated (like you stated) problem with clear coated wheels are they are pretty darn sensitive, if your car sat outside, it`s prob a etched water spot

That`s most likely the case. It sat for quite some time since the snow was pushed behind it from the driveway and I couldn`t back it out.

They are still under warranty so I`m going in to file a claim. Then I`m going to sell them and park the car in a garage.

GLuXuRy
03-16-2009, 11:38 PM
if you dont win the claim, just chrome the lips, if you dont like chrome, i DO believe there is a way to remove the clear yourself and just polish the lips to a un-cleared polished lip :)

edit - wish my Volks came with a warranty .. but then again i havent had any problems, 3 years and 30k miles and still going on strong