PDA

View Full Version : Pittman`s ALR headlight restorer

Pages : [1] 2

bcwang
03-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Anyone ever try Pittman`s ALR product to restore clouded headlights? I happened upon it while browsing the web today and the results look pretty impressive for very little work. If you`ve tried it please comment about it. If it really takes off all the oxidation that easily, sounds like it could be very useful and will save a lot of time and cost over sanding and polishing out headlights.

Headlight Cleaning Before & After (http://www.ibc34.com/Before-and-After.html)

heatgain
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
.237 oz for $30.00. That`s $120.00 per oz.

or buy .5 oz for $40.00. That`s only $80.00 an oz.

Never used it myself. I`d have to cash a Krugerrand.

bcwang
03-16-2009, 12:25 AM
I saw some videos of it in action on youtube, stuff seems impressive. I know it`s expensive for the size, but apparently you only use one drop per headlight.

YouTube - PITTMAN ALR INSTANT ACRYLIC LENS DEOXIDIZER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLLdJ-rzVfc)

YouTube - Gone in 30 seconds by PIttman`s KMOD ALR/ Headlight cleaning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQNnMO2kT6I&feature=related)

YouTube - Pittman ALR non abrasive ACRYLIC lens DEOXIDIZER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPoZARi0T0&feature=related)

YouTube - Pittman ALR Acrylic Headlight Oxidation Remover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTE9uHQ6Qs&feature=related)

I also happened upon some videos of another product called revive-a-lite but it seems like it sucks compared to the Pittman product. Barely making a visible difference except when I skipped from the beginning to the end.

YouTube - Headlight Restoration, Mustang 99, Real Time, Revive-A-Lite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2x9IZLzX9A&feature=related)

heatgain
03-16-2009, 12:23 PM
It does look interesting, so I tried to get reviews via Google. The only reviews that come up are either on the site that sells the stuff, or, on something like Yahoo Answers, the seller of the stuff reviews it.

Has anyone here actually used it?

bcwang
03-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I`d definitely be interested in any opinion from anyone here who has used it. I did find someone on either a lexus or mazda board that had used it with success on two cars. I haven`t heard anyone give a negative review of it anywhere. But an opinion from someone here who has used it would be helpful.

grandcherokee
03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Hello Guys,

I new to this, but have been following your threads quite a bit. I have some first hand experience with this product very recently. It is very expensive (2.5inch tall x 0.5inch diameter vial) but worth it if it works consistently. And thats the problem.

When I first tried it on a vehicle, it was amazing. Like magic!! So I took it to several auto repair shops to demonstrate it. Not impressive! It only took off very little oxidation.

I know the seller of this product in his literature says it will not work on lights that have their UV layer damaged as is visible in a "hallow" outline on the lens. I have to disagree. The unsuccessful attempts I experienced were on lenses that were not UV damaged. Besides, oxidation is oxidation, whether lens is UV damaged or not, IMO.

I may be wrong, but it seemed like after I opened the vial of this product, something evaporates or disintegrates and subsequent applications render it markedly ineffective.

I have used Meguiars PlastX with a polisher with great success and that is the method I am going to stay with. I am sure the other products listed on this forum will do fine, especially the ones that come with a sealant.

WhiteStripes
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
It just seems too good to be true. I mean, has anyone ever wiped their headlight with a lysol wipe? I`ve heard it clears it up pretty good, but it`s back within weeks. I`d imagine this is essentially the same thing. They try and sell you the 60 bottle of sealer at the bottom of the page too. I don`t know, it looks legit, but does smell a little like snake oil.

HappyWax
03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I`ve used Novus with some success on a 1995 Lexus sc400 - It`s a 3 step process 3. heavy grit/scratch remover 2. medium scratch remover then the 1. plastic cleaner.

All are liquid.

novuspolish (http://www.novuspolish.com/)

Did NOT make the headlights perfect but then again I only did one application with sample sizes - I would bet if I bought a full size and 2 or 3 applications, I would have had it near perfect.

Otherwise, your options are for 3m kit that physically sands the scratches off...

To me, If I can get it 90% with only liquids than I am happy.

bcwang
03-19-2009, 02:49 PM
I may be wrong, but it seemed like after I opened the vial of this product, something evaporates or disintegrates and subsequent applications render it markedly ineffective.

Maybe you should contact the seller and find out what is wrong with the product, such as if opening it degrades it quickly. Maybe it did go bad and he`ll send you another. I can`t imagine this can only work on UV coated oxidation, because what about tail lights and headlights that don`t even come with a UV coat (some lexus).

grandcherokee
03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Since this product is not consistant in its results, I won`t be using it. So I won`t even bother communicating with the seller. But I thought I would respond to this thread.

There is something in Megs PlastX that is different from say Novus because just rubbing without buffing, the oxidation clears up. Buffing makes it shine really nice. I am not promoting the product, but for around $6 you can`t beat it. Sears has a special now. Go try it yourself and you`ll know what I mean. I think this technoloy is already quite common, just comes under different brand names.

As far as the "snake oil" goes, it is an oily liquid and reddish, like power steering fluid . I am actually quite curious what it is because it seems to be the only product of its kind out there. If it is somekind of power steering fluid, he must be making a mint. If you Google and do some research, you`ll find out he is an artist and his logo is about somekind of Middle Eastern mysticism. Quite an artistic logo.

WhiteStripes
03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Which is funny, because power steering fluid is another one of those "Quick Fix" things I`ve heard of people doing on their headlights.

Never occured to me that it could be similar to that. Just imagine if it was power steering fluid. That would be such a scam.

bcwang
03-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Grandcherokee,

Maybe you could try it more on different cars to see if maybe it was something different about the other headlights, material or wax coating that was making it behave differently.

Hey another red liquid that takes care of oxidation but on metal contacts is Caig Deoxit. It`s also quite expensive though not as expensive as that stuff. I wonder......

I`ve got some of it, maybe I`ll try it on a oxidized headlight and see what happens. Gotta read up though and make sure it is safe on polycarbonate.

As for plastx, I have it and I believe it is abrasives taking care of the oxidation. The same as mothers plastic polish which I also have, which is milder than plastx it seems.

wannafbody
03-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I had good results from the $20 Clear View kit from WalMart.

bcwang
03-23-2009, 12:34 PM
grandcherokee,

Have you thoroughly washed your headlights after the treatment to see if they remain clear? Just seeing if it really is just some oily coating making it look clear or if the oxidation is really removed.

Clausenlt
04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
This stuff is transmission fluid, otherwise know as hydraulic fluid. He sells on eBay and one of his customers left him negative feedback. I contacted the buyer who left the feedback and he is an airline mechanic...he told me it is hydraulic fluid which is the same thing as transmission fluid...that,s why the stuff is red in color! ...Total scam!