PDA

View Full Version : I want to get rid of "orange peel"

Pages : [1] 2

NetNathan
03-15-2009, 01:08 PM
My Inferno Red 2006 Charger SRT8 has "orange peel" in the paint.

I have been told it is in the clear coat.

Can`t I just get it the clear coat wet sanded?

Who will do this?

Or is there a cheaper/easier method?

pampos
03-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Wet sand it is the only option to remove orange peel....If you are going to do it your self you have to be very very careful and you have to know how to use a rotary polisher to remove the sanding marks.Otherwise it is better to pay someone to do it for you...

Is it the original paint or it has been repainted??

heatgain
03-15-2009, 01:52 PM
You can get the clear coat wet sanded, then buffed, etc. and it will look a lot better. For a limited time.

To get the smooth look you desire, you`ll have to remove so much clear coat that it`ll be in danger of premature failing, due to the removal of the UV inhibitors that reside in the upper portion of the clear coat.

I can sympathize. My vehicle has orange peel too. Ugh.

Tispho
03-15-2009, 02:24 PM
It is not recommended to wet sand factory finished paint because there is not enough clear coat to start with.

NetNathan
03-15-2009, 04:00 PM
It is the original paint job..

I have also heard of "Color Sanding" folowed by a buff polish will remove quite a bit of "orange peel" also. Anyone aware of this process?

But it sounds like I shoud have it wet sanded and then and then a fressh coat (or 2) of clear.

Barry Theal
03-15-2009, 04:22 PM
no need to reclear then after wetsanding! what you want can be done! wetsanding will flatten the paint it all depends on how level you want your paint. do not do not do not do this by yourself pay some with a good rep! it can get exspensive, but the end result is incredible. oonce you see a paint job that is leveled and flawless you`ll go insane! please do not attempt this with out exsperiance! good luck!!!

NetNathan
03-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I didn`t figure on doing it myself...for sure I will end up having to get it repainted then. ...lol

Anyobdy know a good place in SoCal like Inland Empire (1st choice), Orange, or LA County?

wannafbody
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
It is not recommended to wet sand factory finished paint because there is not enough clear coat to start with.

I would reccomend AGAINST wetsanding a newer car with factory clear. Sure it can be done but chances are you will thin the clear and have some tracers which can`t be removed. NOT WORTH THE RISK IMO.

ezemsm444
03-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I would reccomend AGAINST wetsanding a newer car with factory clear. Sure it can be done but chances are you will thin the clear and have some tracers which can`t be removed. NOT WORTH THE RISK IMO.

I second that, factory clears are very thin. If it was really bothing me and it was my vehicle I would force myself to leave it alone because what about future polishing and maybe compounding down the road??? I got the chance and saw a old detailer (20 year veteran) go through the clear with acouple of strokes of 1200 grit sand paper inches away from the edge of a hood off of a 04 Hummer H2 acouple months back. It was disappointing to the customer (had to have the entire hood recleared) , the dealership (blamed the detailer for mistake) , and detailer (for such thin paint, thanks GM). It sucked because he had just washed it when i got there and did at most 3 or 4 strokes and cleaned off and his face went pale. The sad part was, it was his birthday and I had stopped by to say Hi.

NetNathan
03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Is there a diff between "Wet Sanding" and "Color Sanding"?

Lumadar
03-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Is there a diff between "Wet Sanding" and "Color Sanding"?

Nope, same thing, different name. Color sanding was what it was often called back when paint was single stage as the color would run off as you sanded the paint.

PS, wet sanding orange peel completely off on a factory clear coat = not a wise idea.

DM101
03-16-2009, 06:13 AM
+1 I`d leave it alone. You don`t want to make a mistake that could cost big bucks. Polish with Menzerna products.

frito
03-16-2009, 07:18 AM
I think you will find that if you do as MDRX8 says that finish will be improve a lot. My new Mazda as well as a lot of new car finishes are not perfect. However, I was able to bring out a nice shine after buffing with Meg. Ultimate compound followed by Swirl-x. These are safe products and will help.

blucpe
03-16-2009, 02:16 PM
i had my 03 vet wet sanded because i had a stripe put on, like the `96 grand sport, and the difference between the stripe and the rest of the car would have been to extreme, another words, the new work would have been so flawleess and flat as com pared to the rest of the car, my autobody guy was telling me to wet sand the rest of the car to match the new work, well it worked out well for me, but that`s me and my car, i can`t go against what the other members on here are saying so i guess if you`re going to do it, have a professional do it and don`t go crazy, ikt`s a very thin line you`re working with. i think if you don `t take off to much you`ll be ok but ultimatly it`s up to you.

mborner
03-16-2009, 06:32 PM
If the orange peel is really bothering you and you want to do it the right way, you would need to de-trim the entire car, color sand the entire car to prepare it for more clear, have a couple of good thick coats of clear re-sprayed on the car, and then color sand and buff the new clear. It is costly, but the results would be nothing short of stunning.