PDA

View Full Version : Assistance choosing the right compounds and waxes

kommon_sense
03-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I`m new to detailing and a big DIYer. I have a 98 civic which needs some tlc, and an 06 acura tl which I want to look a little nicer. I`m not going for a wet look. I would just like them to look nice and be maintainable. (full details 2-3 times a year).

I`m set on the porter cable 7424. It looks like the right unit for my budget and skill level.

The civic`s hood is in bad shape. No peeling or bare metal. However it needs a good claying and then possibly some wetsanding. I`ve got a few small rust streaks from rocks that struck the hood. I`ve got a tiny bit of overspray on the roof from the body shop that did some repairs. The hood looks dull with no luster. I think most of the clearcoat on the hood is gone.

The acura is still in good shape and just needs good washings, a few paint chip repairs, and upkeep. I`ll practice on the civic before I touch the acura :)

I`ve been looking at this kit : Menzerna polishes for ceramic clear coat paint, Porter Cable 7424 dual action buffer, Nano polish, super intensive, Lake Country pads, Show car kit (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-porter-cable-ceramic-show-car-kit.html)

Its the porter cable 7424, menzerna sip, 106fa & PO 115C. Is this reasonable?

Issue is I don`t know where to go from there. It looks like the Klasses AIO is a good maintainable wax. However do I need anything else beyond that? Glazes, sealants, etc.?

Would there be any issue with using the menzerna on my headlights as well. I`ve wetsanded them and they look much better, but don`t have any polish/shine to them.

Sorry for being so long winded :) Any input would be appreciated.