PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on bird poop!

BlueAngel
03-15-2009, 05:27 AM
What`s a good product to use on bird poop? I need to carry something in my car when birds poop on my paint work. I need something very handy to have in my trunk. Someone recommended baby wipes, but I had some doubts. your thoughts please.

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Most of us carry some QD and (MF) towels. The dear departed Bill D used to have a kit with baking soda, etc. I can see an argument for using paper towels (so you can throw them out after) if you are using minimal wiping pressure.

PS Griot`s used to sell boxes of "baby wipes" for this purpose, saturated with their Speed Shine QD. I`m not sure that regular baby wipes is really a bad idea, despite your doubts.

BlueAngel
03-15-2009, 05:50 AM
Most of us carry some QD and (MF) towels. The dear departed Bill D used to have a kit with baking soda, etc. I can see an argument for using paper towels (so you can throw them out after) if you are using minimal wiping pressure.

PS Griot`s used to sell boxes of "baby wipes" for this purpose, saturated with their Speed Shine QD. I`m not sure that regular baby wipes is really a bad idea, despite your doubts.

MF towels sounds great. I never use paper towels so I do agree with you. I`m sure there is a spray out there just don`t know which is it. :aww:

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2009, 05:57 AM
If you hang around here long enough you will start to buy QD by the gallon and then you can just keep a small spray bottle in the car. If you live where the temp goes below freezing, make sure the spray bottle won`t crack if the QD freezes.

If you really are puzzled about which QD to buy, there are many favorites here. Some people use ONR mixed to the QD concentration, Clearkote QuickShine, Finish Kare 425, Optimum Instant Detailer, Poorboys Spray & Wipe (since this is meant primarily as a cleaner, it may be a good choice...although using ONR is the same concept).

Here`s the Griot`s "baby wipes" Speed ShineƂ® Wipes, 100 Count - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaners/speed+shine+wipes+100+count.do?search=basic&keyword=wipe&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

Bear in mind if you`ve got crusted on poop the baby wipe idea may not be the best unless you lay the wipe on there for a while to soften the poop. In any event, it`s a good idea to wet it down and soften it up before wiping because frequently it can be abrasive. Oh, and you might want to invest in some cheap Wal-Mart or other towels for this in case you just decide to chuck them when they are full of bird stuff, again, just be careful with your wiping pressure when using a cheap towel (and the light wiping pressure due to possible grit in the poo).

BlueAngel
03-15-2009, 06:09 AM
If you hang around here long enough you will start to buy QD by the gallon and then you can just keep a small spray bottle in the car. If you live where the temp goes below freezing, make sure the spray bottle won`t crack if the QD freezes.

If you really are puzzled about which QD to buy, there are many favorites here. Some people use ONR mixed to the QD concentration, Clearkote QuickShine, Finish Kare 425, Optimum Instant Detailer, Poorboys Spray & Wipe (since this is meant primarily as a cleaner, it may be a good choice...although using ONR is the same concept).

Here`s the Griot`s "baby wipes" Speed ShineƂ® Wipes, 100 Count - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaners/speed+shine+wipes+100+count.do?search=basic&keyword=wipe&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

Bear in mind if you`ve got crusted on poop the baby wipe idea may not be the best unless you lay the wipe on there for a while to soften the poop. In any event, it`s a good idea to wet it down and soften it up before wiping because frequently it can be abrasive. Oh, and you might want to invest in some cheap Wal-Mart or other towels for this in case you just decide to chuck them when they are full of bird stuff, again, just be careful with your wiping pressure when using a cheap towel (and the light wiping pressure due to possible grit in the poo).

Crusted poop is usually a big concern of mine that`s why I needed some sort of spray to soften it up. Best place to buy QD? By the way QD is quick detailer correct?

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Yes, QD=Quick Detailer. You can get QD at any auto parts chain (Pep Boys, Strauss, Advanced, Auto Zone) or Wal-Mart or Target. They will have (depending which store) Meguiar`s or Mother`s QD, and possibly others. Of course online detailing supply stores will have a large variety. You can start with the forum sponsors (discounts listed here Autopia - Content - Forum Benefits - Sponsor Discounts (http://www.autopia.org/module-Content-viewarticle-5.html) ) and don`t forget AutoDetailingSolutions.com which doesn`t have a discount code but has several Meguiar`s QD`s in bulk.

BlueAngel
03-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Yes, QD=Quick Detailer. You can get QD at any auto parts chain (Pep Boys, Strauss, Advanced, Auto Zone) or Wal-Mart or Target. They will have (depending which store) Meguiar`s or Mother`s QD, and possibly others. Of course online detailing supply stores will have a large variety. You can start with the forum sponsors (discounts listed here Autopia - Content - Forum Benefits - Sponsor Discounts (http://www.autopia.org/module-Content-viewarticle-5.html) ) and don`t forget AutoDetailingSolutions.com which doesn`t have a discount code but has several Meguiar`s QD`s in bulk.

Sounds great! Thanks man! You`ve been very kind and helpful! :thx

imported_Puckman
03-15-2009, 08:16 AM
I received a small (6 oz.?), free sample bottle of Griot`s Speed Shine a couple of years ago with an order from them. It sits in my trunk in a plastic baggie and a MF towel just for these type occurences.

Birds (in FL anyway) use sand in their digestive tract to help with digestion. My trick is to spray some Speed Shine (or any QD as mentioned) and let it sit for a bit to lift the crap up off the paint a bit before "wicking" up what I can to remove the gritty s**t. I DON`T rub it off!!! Once it`s removed I then do a second pass to remove anything left behind and inspect for etching, pitting etc.

The trick is to be able to respond as quickly as you can and that`s why it`s always in my trunk.