PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Clay(Green and Grey)

mrmatt
03-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I have come across some Sonus Detailing Clay one small green bar and one large grey bar. Wanted to get some feed back on both. My main concern is I don`t like bars that break down fast and scratch my paint.

Fyi: I have used Clay Magic for years and have always been happy with the results.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr275/82matthew/th_DSC00149.jpg (http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr275/82matthew/DSC00149.jpg)

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr275/82matthew/th_DSC00150.jpg (http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr275/82matthew/DSC00150.jpg)

Accumulator
03-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I use Sonus clay pretty much exclusively these days.

The gray can mar paint, even hard paint and even when used properly/carefully. I`d absolutely plan to polish aftewards. Note that I`ve clayed a zillion vehicles with a few different types of clay (maybe 6 different ones, didn`t keep track) and the Sonus gray is the only clay that *ever* resulted in significant marring.

That`s not a slam, just a caveat. It works great when you *need* the added aggressiveness.

The green is very, very gentle. Used properly I shouldn`t mar, never has for me. It doesn`t even cut through healthy LSPs if you use it properly, and just cutting through a Meguiar`s glaze/"pure polish" with it actually took some doing!

I spot-clay as needed with Sonus green at *every* wash.

IME Sonus clays aren`t always QD/shampoo-compatible, they can break down quicker than some other clay when used with that for the lube. They seem to work better with Sonus Glyde lube but don`t let that put you off; just tear them into small pieces and get a new one as needed.

But be careful with that gray stuff. A while back, RAG sold me all of his Sonus gray because it was just too aggressive for him, and he deals with some pretty nasty contamination.

Setec Astronomy
03-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah, but...Sonus stopped making gray clay. Before they made the really harsh gray, they made a less harsh gray...so since the OP says "I came across some Sonus...clay" do we really know which version of the gray this is?

mrmatt
03-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but...Sonus stopped making gray clay. Before they made the really harsh gray, they made a less harsh gray...so since the OP says "I came across some Sonus...clay" do we really know which version of the gray this is?

My gray clay bar is at least a year old.

Setec Astronomy
03-14-2009, 03:41 PM
My gray clay bar is at least a year old.

Well, they stopped making the gray about a year ago...or maybe more. Let me go look at my Sonus grays and tell you the difference in the marking.

Ok, I`m back. I annotated mine a year or two ago as the result of the discussions in another thread (which you may find by searching). I have some upon which I wrote V.3, which is the coarser. That wrapper is marked from the factory with "8SH81" and came in a black box. The older V.2 stuff, which is finer, doesn`t have any numbering on it, but the wrapper says "copyright 2001 Source Chemical Inc, made in Japan, Covered by one or more of the following patents:..." and came in a red box. I`m not sure that the box color is a definitive determinator. IIRC from the aforementioned thread, that the V.1 was the Sonus "block".

99blackSE
03-15-2009, 07:04 AM
I bought the Green for working on Hondas and other soft clear. If I remember correctly it didn`t break down too bad, I was using ONR as lubricant. A really gentle clay though, and I believe I have to get some more now that I think of it.

Accumulator
03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Setec Astronomy- Correct on the three versions of Sonus gray :xyxthumbs But I never had any in a *red* box :think:

Man did I like that v1.0...basically same as the Smart Clay.

Since mrmatt got `em both as a package, I`m guessing they`re both relatively recent-vintage and hence the gray is the aggressive stuff. That v2.0 wasn`t around all that long (at least not that I noticed, not much of an overlap with the release of the green...bet one of the Davids could clear this up).

But, OYOH, well...I oughta know better than to go making assumptions :o