PDA

View Full Version : can porter-cable 7424 fix keyed scratches??

kayi078
03-14-2009, 12:20 AM
i already found someone to fix my scratches, but i just wondering is porter-cable 7424 easy to handle, and good to fix key scratches?? ( i am a girl and dont know detailing,) cuz i am going to sell my old car and buy a new black color car..

also i found this thread on ebay, is it a good deal or not??

right now ebay has 10% off, so the price would be $106 + free shipping

Porter-Cable 7424 6" Buffing Random Orbit Polishing Kit - eBay (item 310125635688 end time Mar-28-09 22:45:47 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Porter-Cable-7424-6-Buffing-Random-Orbit-Polishing-Kit_W0QQitemZ310125635688QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item310125635688&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

is it good to buy?? why is it so cheap comparing to others...is there any differences between 7424?? and do i need any pad or adapter to use the 7424?? i am so new and confused..,,,,,please help

Scottwax
03-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Do you have any pictures you can post of the key damage? Honestly though, if the scratches are deep enough to catch your fingernail or the primer is visible, no amount of buffing is going to fix it.

The price on that 7424 is in line with what Coastal Tools sells their`s for so as long as that is a reputable seller, you should be fine. You will need to buy a backing plate and pads (the autopia store, autogeek, excel detail are all good sources) and throw out the pad that comes with the PC because it isn`t very good.

I would STRONGLY suggest that unless you are willing to spend some time on here reading through the forums and downloading the e-book and then practicing what you learn, avoid buying a black car. You really need to be willing to commit 2-3 hours every week for proper washing and care of a black vehicle, otherwise in a year it will be a swirled mess.

wannafbody
03-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Billy Mays can:getdown Scratches are probably best done by hand with some M105 or Ultimate compound. Just work it in. If they are deep you won`t totally remove them but improve on them. But seriously, I`d like to try the Simonize clear coat pen. I think that potentially could be a nice product.

frito
03-14-2009, 08:34 AM
What is the 10% off from ebay?

metalmania31
03-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Scottwax, where is this e-book you speak of. I cannot find it in the search tool.

Scottwax
03-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Scottwax, where is this e-book you speak of. I cannot find it in the search tool.

Guide To Detailing (http://www.autopia.org/publish/categories/Auto-Detailing-and-Car-Care/Guide-To-Detailing/)

kei169
03-14-2009, 01:53 PM
10%???

Is it the ebay coupon or the microsoft cashback?

kayi078
03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
ebay has 10% off in everything but only for some members

kayi078
03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Do you have any pictures you can post of the key damage? Honestly though, if the scratches are deep enough to catch your fingernail or the primer is visible, no amount of buffing is going to fix it.

The price on that 7424 is in line with what Coastal Tools sells their`s for so as long as that is a reputable seller, you should be fine. You will need to buy a backing plate and pads (the autopia store, autogeek, excel detail are all good sources) and throw out the pad that comes with the PC because it isn`t very good.

I would STRONGLY suggest that unless you are willing to spend some time on here reading through the forums and downloading the e-book and then practicing what you learn, avoid buying a black car. You really need to be willing to commit 2-3 hours every week for proper washing and care of a black vehicle, otherwise in a year it will be a swirled mess.

what is backing plate and pads? how much will they cost....do i need adapter??

and whats the differences between yellow pads and orange pads and others...

so confused....7424 seems a tough tool to me

bubble
03-14-2009, 03:03 PM
what is backing plate and pads? how much will they cost....do i need adapter??

and whats the differences between yellow pads and orange pads and others...

so confused....7424 seems a tough tool to me

i am new and a girl so i can understand your confusion. i would suggest you to spend some time on the forum to read through some posts for beginners first. use search to find out unfamiliar terms.

backing plates are for connecting/attaching pads to ur pc, if i did my research right. different color of pads mean different function, more cutting ability, fine polishing, waxing, etc.

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store (http://www.autogeek.net) is a good store for a wide array of products and some good info. you can start with there and explore some more stores, like detail image, exceldetail, detail domain, etc.

i would suggest you to do your reading and research first before you drop your money on pc. it would be sad if u buy it and don`t know how to properly use it.

i haven`t gotten my pc yet coz i want to start with hand application first. so far, it`s going ok and i think that i will be ok to handle a pc for spring.

hope that this helps.

citizen arcane
03-14-2009, 04:52 PM
i would suggest you to do your reading and research first before you drop your money on pc.

If you wish to dive further then volvie! did the research for you:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/108836-helpful-threads-newbies.html

conveniently located at the top of this forum page as a sticky.

kayi078
03-15-2009, 03:56 PM
how much for a good pad?

Scottwax
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
how much for a good pad?

Not to be rude but have you clicked on any of the links? The link bubble posted has exactly the information you are asking about.

metalmania31
03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Guide To Detailing (http://www.autopia.org/publish/categories/Auto-Detailing-and-Car-Care/Guide-To-Detailing/)

I have been to that and read many of the articles/chps. I didn`t realize it was an e-book format.